I watched I Saw the Light last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    the 2016 Hank Williams biopic

Great body of work, but he appears to have had a pretty dysfunctional family

I just read the book it was based upon. The book seems to be the most comprehensive biography of HW I have read.

getbent, Toto'sDad and Treadplatedual like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It seems like there have been several attempts to make a successful movie about Hank, but to tell the truth when you get right down to it, there just isn't all that much to work with. The legend has become far greater than the man, any attempt to tell his story is bound to come up short of that legend. I'm from Alabama, my old man was a honkytonk drunk, they are not all that uncommon in those parts. The only difference was Hank could write about all that heartache and unrequited love, and make people think he was talking about them.

Shango66, Wildcard_35, uriah1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    People spent their “free” time differently before television and the internet.

4. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

For a guy who clearly was an immense talent and was incredibly productive until he died, it's hard to believe he was flat out drunk most of the time. The movie was OK, but the book was a great read and insightful.

Buckocaster51 and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I watched that movie, and was not so impressed. Toto's Dad said it all in his post above.

Buckocaster51 and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

- You know what we should do when we make that Hank Williams movie? Let’s get a British guy to play him !

- Well wait a minute DW, what about Hank the III ? He looks just like him and he sings just like him.

-Nah...that’ll never work . Let’s get Loki !

And so they did...

7. Buckocaster51

Admin Post

I was not impressed with the movie either.

I watched it with Mrs Buckocaster and needed to do a lot of ‘splaining to keep her from getting lost. Especially at the end with Audra, Bobbi’ and Billie all popping in and out.

Jim Denny was portrayed as a sympathetic character. Quit unlike he is portrayed in the Cocaine and Rhinestones podcasts

8. Toto'sDad

During the time period that Hank Sr. rose to fame, much of the south was composed of dry counties. That meant drinking whiskey that might have been distilled under any conditions, made out of almost anything that would ferment. Most of it was clear like Vodka and though people used to say it was 180 proof, it was strong to the point that if it didn't kill you right off, would make you awfully drunk pretty pronto. I'm not talking drunk like you get when you want to boogie and chase the ladies around the dance floor, I'm talking about crap your drawers passed out in your own vomit drunk.

A man who was an alcoholic in Alabama in the forties and fifties was not gong to live too long if he drank the stuff every day. Even after Hank got to where he could afford bonded whiskey I'm sure the damage had been done to body and spirit. I personally do not know what his situation was, or what he drank, but I know the booze in the south killed many of my relatives, one way or the other. Until you've been moonshine drunk, you ain't ever been as drunk as you can be. I can without reservation testify to that part of my post.

StrangerNY, Wildcard_35 and jhundt like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

The guy next door to me, and his momma who lives in a big house across town used to book shows here, and elsewhere. One time Hank III and his band showed up at his house wasted and driving a huge old Cadillac limousine with cow horns on the front of it. This was nine or ten years ago, but I'm pretty sure he's a whole lot more like his grandpa than about anyone else in his family. There was no question that boy had Alabama blood flowing through his veins. Them boys is a little different.

Mike Eskimo and Buckocaster51 like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

This guy showed up over at the booking agents house one time, he was definitely a little different, but a decent enough sort to talk to. He actually had a very nice Mercedes motor home to do his traveling in. Joe Buck was his name. The guy next door to me went off to Europe, then he was down south, for a year, but kept the house next door. When he came back, he was out of the business. He's talking about selling out and moving to Montana now. No that's not blowtorch, just in case you're wonderin'.:D

upload_2019-6-20_12-19-0.jpeg

blowtorch likes this.
  11. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    I saw Hank Williams perform at the Opry.

Not HWJR or Hank III, but Hiram himself.

At least according to my mother.

I would have been 2 or 3 months old

I don’t remember it... but the music is locked deep in my soul.

Bob M, 1955, P Thought and 2 others like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

He was the man, no doubt about it, been dead more than sixty years, wasn't really ever a heart throb, just a guy telling stories and living like a Wildman, yet he still lives on. It's amazing how many people know who Hank was. I'll bet more people nowadays can tell you who Hank was than who a bunch of the 50's and 60's heartthrob boys were.

13. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    You mean like Fabian?

Wildcard_35 and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I've not heard that name in many, many years. I wonder what ever happened to him?

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw the one where JohnBoy Walton played Hank.
    And also the one where Steve Vai played Hank

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Aw, how much do you need? An interesting life is always fodder for a good story or two. I got a real kick out of The Last Ride. It changes as much of Hank's story as most biopics do, but that's show biz.

I doubt Hank would've minded.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

It was an ok movie. I think they could have done a much better job at picking who played him.

18. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

My first Hank Williams movie was "Your Cheatin' Heart", 1964, George Hamilton.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Buckocaster51 likes this.
  19. Buckocaster51

Admin Post
    That was the first “bad” movie I can remember. It was DOA to be sure.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I haven't seen the movie and probably never will. but when I was about 8, the one with George Hamilton (I think?) was on tv and all my friends and I went around singing Hank songs for weeks.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.