I was offered a trade (Telecaster)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cerb, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

I've been trying to flip my 1989 Fender Strat Plus Ddluxe for a while and there is very little interest. I've lowered the price to $700 and still little interest. Today I was offered a trade for a 1983 Telecaster, all original. It looks completely kosher on the pictures but should be worth quite a bit more than my Strat so I'm not sure why he wants to trade.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

'83s are pretty cool guitars!!! I say go for it. I think they have a 12 inch radius, and a wider than usual nut. Ofc they are toploaders, which is kinda of unique also. I am not sure, but 83s might be some of the last guitars produced in the Fullerton plant. I say do it!!

3. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Do it!!!!

Cerb and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing to lose here ... If you don't bond with it, you should come out ahead if you flip it ...

Cerb, 2 Headed Goat and 57fenderstrat like this.
  5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

Looks legit - if you like it, do it!

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Strats have been like Oldsmobiles ... driving your father's car ... for the last decade or so. Be glad someone wants to give you a hipster Tele in trade.
    I mean both sides of that comment in good faith. Indie bands the last five to eight years have been chasing Teles and Jazzmasters. Strats were kicked to the sidelines. Maybe Strats are coming around? A Tele is a good trade.

Cerb and 57fenderstrat like this.
  7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Interesting offer - with a March 1983 neck date this is one of the first of these; I don't think I've seen one with a March neck date before; the earliest I had seen was early April 1983. The Standards and Elites were only made from that point in 1983 through the end of 1984, and as mentioned were among the last instruments made in Fullerton (along with the early AVRI models).

But as @tlsmack says they have the wider, flatter neck - if you can hang with that then it is an interesting time capsule piece from the last of the CBS era - they were well-made guitars, but the features lead them to not be sought after in the marketplace when they were new; they are coming around in value these days (both the Teles and the Strats).

Cerb, 8barlouie and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

A excellent telecaster in exchange for a strat?...........a no brainer.

Cerb likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Looks cool. Maybe the market for old guitars is soft all around - maybe he just wants something cool to play and isn't interested in small time profit. I've recently been offered a couple of amazing trades.

Cerb likes this.
  10. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Sweet! Do and don't look back. As John C points out its an early one. Another way to tell is the black and silver logo and grey bobbin pickups!

Cerb likes this.
  11. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have one. Great guitar.

Cerb likes this.
  12. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

I would take the Tele if it’s a straight across trade. I’d say you are looking at like values here. Maybe the Tele might be worth a little more, but not by a lot.

Cerb likes this.
  13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

The images don't show any significant wear but I think she's legit. Why do they want to trade? ...because 3 pickup wall art is cooler than 2 pickup and they're likely bored with it or their favorite guitarist plays one.

Trade!

Cerb likes this.
  14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

wiring looks orig.. here's a shot of my 83 wiring with bleed cap stock......

the neck pu on mine is my fav tele pu so far..the flatter neck is easy for bending notes, you can't help yourself...;)..:)

who ever had this before me played the crap out of it... I mean, you know how hard that old poly is to scratch....:rolleyes::D

tort tele treble bleed V pot1.jpg

83 tele66.jpg

Cerb and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

Looks like some nifty wiring. I don’t think the original came with orange drops, and is that a treble bleed circuit?

Oops, I gues @trev333 answered that.

Cerb likes this.
  16. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Yep, mine have 'em too. Original as...
    except mine has had the neck and pu's swapped out. IMG_20010409_062909.jpg IMG_20010409_062654.jpg IMG_20010409_062511.jpg

Cerb and 8barlouie like this.
  17. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

Go for it if you like it.
    You never know what the other guy is thinking, but his hunt isn't yours.
    regards,
    stanger

BluesGuitarMart and Cerb like this.
  18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Although I prefer the tele to a strat, the Strat-Plus Deluxe is one hell of a good Strat and should not be cast aside so quickly. Other than the wilkinson nut, it is about perfect for a Strat and a great stage instrument. You have it priced too low already and making people think there is something wrong with it. Raise the price and i bet you get a call. Buyers are a strange lot in how they reason things, I used to fail to win bids with my business when pricing low, but once I actually raised them I scored.

If I could afford the $700 right now, I would happily take that Strat off your hands. I had 3 Strat-Plus guitars over the last 5 years. I sold 2 of them once I settled on the keeper of the 3 (a '96 model with the LSR nut) and each one sold for just over $900 with case....neither of them were the Deluxe either.

My advice would be to buy the Tele outright for $700 and raise the Strat price to $850 - $900. It would give you 2 very good instruments and likely a sell with a net gain in short time.

Cerb likes this.
  19. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

That'd be nice :)

I've been up there with the strat, been lowering the price weekly. I think the market is soft...

20. Cerb

Cerb Tele-Meister

Thank yo all. I'll see if we can find a chance to get together.

John C and 2 Headed Goat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.