I was just thinking-Tom Petty is a Bad Ass

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Post Toastie, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Mike Campbell walks on water.
    I would love to see his band - The Dirty Knobs - but they are a SoCal only band.

2. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

+1!!

-------------

Tom Petty:

• Homely, bordering on ugly
    • Whiny, thin voice
    • Bad teeth
    • Capable guitarist, nothing more
    ^
    Several significant strikes against him, were he to be considered for being marketed as a Rock Star today. Which only shows to go ya, what is wrong with most of the music being peddled today. All the above, just add to why he's so great.

A story: My wife, I love her dearly. But she's no music connoisseur ... when I met her, she had Running On Empty in her ellpee stack (point in her favor), but also a stack of Melissa Manchester albums (take several points away). I have tried to guide her over the years to the Good Stuff, but there's just some music that I love that she will never appreciate. That's life... *shrug* So this past Christmas, one of her gifts to me was Petty's first solo album Full Moon Fever... she probably found it in the $5 bin at Kmart. A day or two later I put that in my car stereo. EVERY ONE of the songs on 'side one' were radio hits, including one of the most perfect rock singles ever, Runnin' Down a Dream. And 'side two' opens with a Byrds cover. There ain't a bad cut on the album. That kind of radio play doesn't happen on accident. The guy writes great, memorable songs. And he's surrounded himself with aces, as others have noted: The Heartbreakers, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, etc. etc. and on and on.

He's waged battles against his record companies ... he declared bankruptcy to negotiate a new record deal before Damn The Torpedoes came out. He waged another fight to keep the next one, Hard Promises, selling at $8.98 rather than $9.98. Those fights don't come easy, and they can't be the preferred activity of a presumably fun loving rock musician.

So yeah; TP a BADASS? Hell yeah, and well earned in my estimation.

3. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

my favotite tom petty song is mary jane's last dance.with or without the video

4. dorock

dorock TDPRI Member

5. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

Tom Petty > Bruce Springsteen, by a mile. Bring the hate, just IMO.

6. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

How this song doesn't have 300 million views instead of 300 thousand is criminal:(

7. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

If you watch the Documentary "Runnin down a dream" there is a spot where some A and R guy is trying to get Roger McGuinn to record a ****ty song. Tom goes Bad Ass on the guy and says this is the voice of "Mr Tambourine Man" and you are trying to feed him this ****.Here is Tom who grew up on the Byrds and now he is protecting Roger McGuinn and Roger is just in awe. Don't mess with Mr Tom Petty. :)

8. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah: Mudcrutch. In this episode, we see Tom Petty, after much success, does a solid by the guys who got the shaft from the record company right before TP got signed. Back in the 1970s, the record company, poised to sign TP, essentially said: We want you, and you, and you (TP, Mike Campbell, and Benmont Tench). But not these other guys. Shuffle shuffle, and TP gets the contract, and the Heartbreakers are born. Decades later, TP said 'Let's make this right', knowing anything with the Tom Petty name on it, would get some significant sales. So he makes contact with Randall Marsh and Tom Leadon (trivia time: he's Bernie's brother)... the reunion happens, songs are worked up, and the album is cut. A minor success for Tom Petty, but truly, a good deed done for two Mudcrutch guys left in the lurch all those years ago. It did some financial good for a couple journeyman musicians. Not for nothin', but it must have also been a hell of a good time :D

Indeed.

9. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

Agree, Beach Bob. And, to top it all off. He lets these guys have the limelight playing leads, while he plunks away on the bass. (No, there's nothing wrong with bass players, but it must have been the highlight of these guy's life to not only record with Petty, but to be featured on a propfessional, commercial video.)

10. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

"Hello, CD listener...."

I laughed a lot.

11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

way back when I was a kid (77?), I worked as a roadie for Beserkeley Records in California. One week we had a bunch of dates planned for Greg Kihn with a new act out of LA, called Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They had an album just out, but no single or airplay. This was, apparently, a shake-down cruise to prepare for promotion of that album.

We did 5 nights, 2 shows a night. We traded off who was headlining. Tell the truth, I thought Petty was a bit twee; he had real long hair and he was still wearing LA fashions like velveteen blazers and platform shoes. I was into the Clash and Sex Pistols, I thought it was all old-school stuff.

But the girls sure liked him. And the more I watched, crouched down behind the amps, the more I saw that he was pretty much the real deal. Since then I have been a fan.

They had great gear; M Campbell had the first E-Bow I had ever seen. I remember fiddling with it when GK was playing and I was hiding behind the amps. I did something and a red light came on, and I couldn't figure out how to make the red light go off. I thought "****, I'm in trouble now!" but apparently I didn't break it, because I lived to tell the story.

12. CraigL

CraigL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

HUGE Tom Petty fan. First saw him New Year's Eve 1980 (Chuck Berry was one of the opening acts!) and have seen him a total of about 35 times. A great band that knows how to rock.

13. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I heard he wears women's pants.

14. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

Great story! I grew up near San Francisco and Greg was a family friend.

15. CraigL

CraigL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Curious if you have seen him live? I was never a big Bruce fan, although I respected him and liked a few of his songs. Then I finally saw him live twice in the last year and now I get it and am a huge fan. You get the idea that he feels like he will die if he doesn't put on a great show.

16. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Another big Petty fan here...he made some really cool videos in the 80's when I was a young lad. I loved the videos for You Got Lucky and Don't Come Around Here No More. He has written so many hits that will stand the test of time.

17. plroad21

plroad21 Tele-Meister

Anybody who doesn't appreciate Tom Petty has obviously never seen "runnin down a dream".

18. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

Bruce and Tom Petty both are great musicians and have made a deserving name for themselves in the R&R industry ... long may they both carry the torch! :cool:

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Post Toastie, this is YOUR fault.

I have been listening to "You Wreck Me" in my head off and on (mostly on) since you started this thread.

I think it is the mark of a good artist when other musicians hear one of your songs and it gets welded into their brain. The trouble is, songs like these take up valuable space and they're mighty hard to run off when you need to concentrate on something else. And I honestly don't think I've heard it played anywhere else in maybe 6 months or more.

20. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Are you playing it capoed up a fret?
    Is it you singing or Tom? Have you replaced Campbell on guitar?

I always thought this lyric caught a little spirit of teenage angst and uncertainty -

I'll be the boy in the corduroy pants
    You be the girl at the high school dance

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.