I Was Hoping For A New Car Day, Buuuuuuuut...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Oct 21, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have been really happy with my wife's 2018 Mazda CX-5. Happy enough that I was thinking about replacing my car with a Mazda6 (same as a CX-6, but the sedan and not an SUV). If I got the Grand Touring, it would have the more powerful turbo engine. I was willing to give up a manual to make this happen. Hey, I could get one in navy blue to match my new guitar!

This "want" started in July or August; we did a two week vacation in September, followed by a Stones weekend in Pittsburgh (I was just the chauffer), so I was just waiting a bit. During that time, I read that this is the last year for the Mazda6, so if I wanted to do it, I had better get on it.

I took my VW for an oil change on Tuesday. I also ran across the street to re-schedule an oil change for my wife's Mazda.

Here is what I noticed:
    • There are no new cars in either the VW or Mazda dealer showroom.
    • There are only single digits of new cars on the lots.
    • Used cars are waaaaaay overpriced.
    • From this, I assume there are no "deals" on new cars either.
    I had heard that there were shortages of new and used cars, but until you see it for yourself, you just don't appreciate to what extent. The dealership I was at is four brand buildings with 6 or 7 brands total on both sides of a street. The main building used to be a nightmare to drive through, as the cars were just so tight and wrapped around the building. You could now drive that parking lot blindfolded and not hit anything (maybe a slight exaggeration...)

It looks like the dream may die on the vine. My current car, a 2014 VW Jetta SE, has less than 50,300 miles on it, so it looks like I may be keeping that for a while, unless the chip shortage ends soon. Real soon.

2. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You need to go the way of the unwashed masses, my friend. In order of value for effort:

1. Online auctions. There is a lot near you somewhere, you just have to find it. You will get the best deal here if you know what you are doing, but if you are dead set on certain models it won't work. You need to check it out before the auction. you won't be able to drive it off the lot but at least you can tell how it runs.
    2. FB Market place.
    3. CL

boris bubbanov and unixfish like this.
  3. King-of-Tone

King-of-Tone TDPRI Member

I hate to say it, but I don't think these supply chain issues will be getting better soon. Also it's more than just new car chips, it's brake pads, oil filters, all sorts of things. My truck's been stuck in the shop with transmission problems, they're struggling to get the new parts to fix it so I ok'ed sourcing parts from the junk yard. Salvage parts aren't my first choice, but I need my truck up and running.

4. unixfish

Fortunately, my car has years of life left in it. I needs a bit of maintenance, but nothing major. It will probably stay until some other opportunity comes up.

I am picky about cars, and drive for enjoyment as much as transportation. If a car is not fun to me, I'm not interested. so yeah, specific models only.

JL_LI, Deathray and Fuelish like this.
  5. unixfish

Like I replied to @drf64, I can easily get another 4 or 5 years out of my VW with just a bit of maintenance. It looks like I am waiting out the shortages.

6. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

in that case I think your best option would be FB Marketplace. Pretty good selection and it's a lot easier to spot a scam based on the profile. If you are patient you can get what you want. You can search what you want. watch the list over a year's time

unixfish likes this.
  7. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I drive every day past the Toyota dealer that I bought both my Prius and the wife's Rav4 at and it looks like a ghost town. They are surviving solely by the Parts and Service departments. There are maybe 10 new cars on the whole lot and this place typically has more than one hundred. Crazy times we are all living in. :eek:

Fortunately we have at least 5 years before we need to even consider replacing either one.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    unixfish likes this.
  8. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I was CASing (Car Acquisition Syndrome) very recently. Went to a couple dealers to chat about options. Did a lot of searching online. Started a couple car threads on TDPRI.

Then I just decided my Hyundai Sonata is just fine. And I went and bought more guitar gear.

9. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Seems you can get SMOKING deals on new cars and great finance rates, if you buy what's on the lot. I bought a new Subaru Crosstrek for barely over what 3-5 year old ones are selling for, and I got 1.9% financing. And it's a stick! lol

10. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah man.... there's actually another thread about all this that came out this morning too. Yep, IMO your plan is probably the best bet for now and probably for the forseeable future. :confused:o_O

unixfish likes this.
  11. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

I got super lucky and took delivery on my "factory ordered" Tacoma on July 3rd, and maybe a week later the news dropped that finally Toyota was getting hit by the shortages as well. That's when prices and inventory really started getting out of hand, I got out the door under MSRP with a manual transmission Toyota 4x4, what will be one of the last of it's kind, and believe me I'm incredibly grateful and lucky. I sold my '16 Impreza for $3.5k over trade-in value the day before, and that buyer waited anxiously for a month to complete the sale in fear of what we're seeing now.

Make it work with what you have, don't make a move just to get into something new, hold out for the proliferation of affordable electric or plugin hybrid models in a couple years. That's what I'm gonna do for a city car/commuter in maybe 5ish years.

unixfish likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

@unixfish Most dealers have the next gen Tiguan starting to show up but at least on order. An ID.4 is a 6 month wait.

New bicycles are also hard to find but for more and more, they can make a new car less important. Yesterday I realized I'm on target for 2300-2500 miles biking instead of car this year with the car use and car use about 7300 miles.

If you follow my lead clothing shortages will be the issue. Lately size 32 pants are getting too big.

Telekarster and unixfish like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought my new car almost exactly a year ago. I went looking for a used one, but due to the world situation, a new one was cheaper. I had to settle for pearl white, cause it was all they had, but I figured it was a good trade off to get a car stickered at 29,700 for 21k.

My wife bought a brand new Cherokee in June. Stickered at 38k, she drove it off the lot for 26. But they only had three to choose from, and they were all grey.

We could sell both of ours right now for more than what we paid for them.

Seems if a body isn’t terribly picky, it’s been a pretty good year for buying a new car.

stormsedge and unixfish like this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Tacomas are excellent trucks, and real trucks at that. I wish I still had mine.

15. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Afflicted

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    We got "lucky" after my wife's Kia got rear-ended in June - no injuries to her, and the car was totally drivable, just had a dented "bumper" and bent trunk lid, had to seal it with plastic and tape, but....she drove my lil Fit, I drove her car - hard to not drive in the rain in east TN - the offender's insurance co gave us $8900 for an 11 yr old car with 160,000+ miles on it totaled.....took the 444 and ran - she fell in love with a brand spanking new Honda HRV, had like 13 miles on it when she test drove it, had a few more on it when I test drove it, had like 20 miles on it when we signed the papers.....yeah, no "deal" to be had, but is the "newest" new car have ever bought, and I take it it was just luck......was built in June, bought in July, and she loves it (win!!!) She likes our lil Fit well enough, she can drive a stick just fine, she just wanted something a lil taller - she's taller than me - and the HRV fit the bill....not as much fun to drive as it's lil brother, but that's OK.....and it doesn't "drive" as large as it looks.....guess it's based on the Fit platform, just bigger.....looks huge side by side with my car, but doesn't look big out on the road with all these other compact crossovers. Gets decent mpg, I like it enough that I can live with it, although a HRV LX with a manual would've been more fun.....but she wanted a sunroof and all.....too much electronic stuff for me, I like old school knobs/buttons/switches.....and a 6 speed manual ;)

unixfish likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

OMG. We must have really hit the jackpot. We placed an order at the end of June for a 2022 already scheduled for production. The dealer had already reserved a place in queue. We beat the July 1 deadline for changes to the order and added what amounted to every conceivable option including the S-Drive sport package. The second week of July the dealer was able to special order red brake calipers not on the option list. We took delivery in mid August at the agreed upon price. This may be the last car we buy. Or maybe not. Talk about just in time.
    85D4C5BB-9266-48FD-9F7F-EF239F8E2A1E.jpeg B54BD66A-9DC5-4F08-893D-B0AA9DC4B5D8.jpeg 164968E2-FF79-4C79-8996-AF40A61E1AAD.jpeg

17. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Unfortunately, I feel ya! This happened ONE WEEK after picking up our BRAND NEW Rav4.

20181222_060935101_iOS.jpg 20181222_060944234_iOS.jpg

Wound up costing $15,000, makes me sick just looking at the pictures. Happened in GA, on our way from SC to FL. Credit to the Rav4, it got us back home safely. Spent a month at the repair shop and a couple of follow up visits for hidden damage that reared it's ugly head later. Shop was able to get it back to showroom condition. Been trouble free since.

OmegaWoods, G-52, JL_LI and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

I bought my first house last year and pretty much immediately realized I needed a truck. I've always wanted a Tacoma and it's been fun getting back into a real 4x4, I'm excited for winter up here in the mountains! It's a real truck indeed, and everything I need. People knock them for being low on modern tech (not gadgets necessarily, rather engine/drivetrain) but I kinda feel like that's the point. Proven, reliable, and durable utility vehicles. I just ticked over 5k on the odo, and looking forward to another 245k of brakes, tires, and oil being the only maintenance!

I'm of midwestern disposition as far as outdoor activities go, I prefer a cabin on a lake for some water skiing, but I just might put up with camping since this thing will take me anywhere in CO the gf and I could ever wanna go, at any time.

archetype and unixfish like this.
  19. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow man.... that is one hot looking lil scooter! I bet that baby is ffffuuuuuuunnnnnn!!!! Congrats man! Noice

JL_LI and unixfish like this.
  20. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

Toyota stockpiled chips after they ran out as a result of the tsunami a few years ago and and highlighted a problem with their JIT inventory. They adjusted and for a long time were the only auto maker that had chips but if they are having problems now they must be getting low also.

The other part of the supply chain where there is a serious problem that isn't getting resolved is the shortage of truckers. 30 years ago truckers between 25 and 35 year olds made up the most significant group by shear numbers and that group has stayed the same right up till now as the older end of it is starting to retire. Over the next ten years this problem is going to get much worse. You can't blame it on Millennials and Gen Xers not wanting to work, the industry hasn't seen pay increases over inflation for more than twenty years. With all the liability and hoops you have to jump through I'm not surprised a 25 year old today won't do that work. I don't blame them.

I don't see anything on the horizon that will make things better for the next 10 years.

Jakedog and unixfish like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.