I was going for a Bonamassa Nocaster Bullet vibe- not sure what happened.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by CavalierX, Oct 19, 2019.

1. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

First this is a bit of a cross post - apoligies, but it is Pickup related.

I just dug into my BSB Bullet Telecaster and ripped her guts out. I insulated her cavities with copper tape. I swapped in a quality set of 250k CTS pots, a nice 4 way switch, .022 Orange Drop, and a new plug. I went with a set of Dragonfire pickups. I installed a Gate Bucker PAF in the neck and a Texas Hot in the bridge. I Think I may have screwed up though because the Neck tone, alone, is pretty dark.

With the 4 way I wired it 1) bridge, 2) bridge and neck parallel, 3) neck only, 4) bridge and neck series. And all the wiring seems to be correct and double checked. I used this Seymour Duncan schematic:

[​IMG]
    Everything works.... but the Neck alone is fairly dark. The Texas Hot Bridge sounds perfect and the series and parallel sound very good... I don't HATE the Neck alone, but it is "less usable" than I imagined it would be, but it has a nice soft warm rhythm tone or jazzy tone, not unlike a vintage Telecaster wiring set-up.

Here is the thing: does it NEED a 500k volume pot? If so, do I need to put a 500k resistor on the Bridge pickup? Or is this more about the .022 Orange Drop and I need to switch that out for something else? has anyone gone with a 300k volume pot?

I did not have this issue with my P90 neck mod in my Lake Placid Blue Bullet, but it was a lower output single coil and a 3 way switch.

The BSB PAF mod plays really well and sounds very flexible, I am just not in love with the Dragonfire Gate Bucker switched on alone in this set up. Its growing on me, but feels like it needs some kind of tweek. Ready for feedback/advice. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Try connecting a 0.047 uF capacitor between the neck hot lead and the switch. It will make the pickup sound less muddy. But it might be that it can sound thin.

You can experiment with different capacitor values using two wires and alligator clips outside of the control mount. You can buy a big bag of assorted capacitors on ebay etc. They are not expensive.

thrashmetl and CavalierX like this.
  3. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    CavalierX likes this.
  4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Start with the easiest test swap out the volume for a 500k pot and see if it improves the humbucker tone.
    From there you can decide how the bridge pickup sounds. There are dual volume pots that have 250k and 500k resistance, or you can wire in a cap with the humbucker or a few other solutions but start with the 500k volume pot and tell us how it goes.

CavalierX likes this.
  5. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I'd try a 330k pot before I went to a 500k. I like dark pickups and have used that solution in some of my partscasters.

CavalierX likes this.
  6. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

I tried for sooooo long to like this combo, but at the end of the day when you put a thin, bright pickup next to a fat, dark pickup it’s never going to sound right when flipping back and forth.

If you want to keep trying then you absolutely need 500k pots. Unfortunately, even with the 270k resistor trick it never quite worked for me. The .047 cap trick mentioned above though works great for muddy neck pickups.

After extensive experimentation with boutique and custom boutique pickups I finally settled on the Dimarzio DP240 Vintage Mini-hum. Funny thing is it’s easily the cheapest I ever tried and matches the Tele bridge pickup light years better than any other pickup I tried in the neck. No wiring trickery needed either, works great with 250k pots.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

This is probably what I'd do too. You'll just have to change one thing at a time til you find the right setup. I recently wired a HB neck with Single bridge to 250k pots and .047 cap, but made the neck HB volume only and that was perfect. That was a Strat, Tele's are a bit different. Could use a no load tone pot.

Who are you getting 330k pots from? Haven't seen any for some time and would like to get some.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.