I want to figure out how to do this...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mr_Q, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

This is an Ernie Ball Music Man Armada. It's a thru-neck design that I like quite a lot. (Dumb name though...) I believe it's no longer in production. I've never seen one in person.

Notice the white V on the face. It appears to be inlaid double binding. Or maybe it could be some kind of pinstripe paint?

Wouldn't an inlay like this be rather challenging? How might one do this on a carved top? (No CNC available.)
    Appreciate any input from the TDPRI brain trust.

Cheers,
    Q

Armada.png
    Armada-1.jpg

tubedood, Shuster, photondev and 3 others like this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I think top is two pieces, one being the flamed maple insert. One review of the Armada says "The body is topped by a striking layer of figured maple that's cut in the form of a "V" to highlight perfectly 2 Music Man proprietary humbucking pickups". If that is the case it would be reasonably easy to bind the insert and the edge of the top separately. WBW plastic binding bends pretty easily and the little miters at the edges wouldn't be that hard to do. You could also route a channel after the top was assemble but with the arching that would be quite a bit harder to jig up.

Mr_Q and Jim_in_PA like this.
  3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

You would just have to build a rig that doesn't ride on the top when cutting, like what acoustic or LP builders use for cutting binding channels. Setting up a fence for an accurate straight-line cut would be the difficult part.

Mr_Q likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

An elevated V shape template hovering over the guitar, much like how one would cut pickups or a neck rout in a precarved body. You could set up guides and a template bit on top of the intended plywood template to cut out the V. Then mount that on legs.

vtemplate.JPG

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    photondev, eallen, Mr_Q and 2 others like this.
  5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

^That's a great idea, Marty. I should've thought of it since that's how I did the routs on my baseball bat guitar :rolleyes:.

Mr_Q and guitarbuilder like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That's how I routed out a neck cavity in a carved LP body too.

Mr_Q and RogerC like this.
  7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I agree with this method for building what I see in the photos. Bind the vee-shaped portion first and then insert into the body.Trim the binding at the junction with the main body so it properly intersects with the perimeter binding prior to installing that perimeter binding.

That is one beautiful body design!

Mr_Q likes this.
  8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'd say the original guitar was initially just the triangle bit, but when they harnessed it up, the neck dived straight towards the centre of the Earth, so they thought "Better add some extra weight at the back!!!" So they hack-sawed a V into an old body that the neck socket was wrong in!:lol::D

Seriously, a nice looking shape!

DC

9. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Mr_Q likes this.
  10. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

From the looks of the pictures I’m wondering if they glue up the top binding and all, then they carve. Seems like if you were picky about the binding material you could carve the top after it’s all glued up.

But I’ve never worked with binding some I’m not sure how it would go.

Mr_Q likes this.
  11. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

I don't know if it applies to this guitar, but I saw a video where it showed an ernie ball guitar being built that had a contoured body with a binding. What they did there was route a channel in the body blank and then fill it with a liquid version (molten) of the binding and then let it harden and then cnc route the body and contours. I know that this is not the same but they could still route the channel with a cnc, see the cnc here as the rig, and then inject the molten white black white binding. a bit like toothpaste comes out striped of the tube. Later they can just level and polish the whole.

But What do I know?

Mr_Q likes this.
  12. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

I've seen a blue one played by Mateus Asato in 2017, vid by TC Electronics to introduce his tone print 'Asatoverb'. I guess it is still in production?

Hope this helps.

Mr_Q likes this.
  13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mr_Q likes this.
  14. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Freeman, I believe you are correct. It's two pieces. Hmm.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

15. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Marty, I think that would allow me to do a one-piece version. Or route a channel after I glued up a V insert cap.
    Thanks for the idea and quick model!

16. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

That's helpful. Yes. I can see that it's a curved carve only on the V insert, and flat on the lower part.

17. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

There are a couple of tricks used to bind and purfle the tops of acoustic guitars. I will sometimes route the channel and use some square teflon material to fill it while I'm gluing things together - glue doesn't stick to the teflon and I can pull it out when the glue dries, leaving a nice clean channel to install the purfling. This is the normal way of doing the pearl inlay around the edge of high end Martin. Here it is being used on a style 42 guitar - the channel will be filled with pearl just like the rosette

IMG_2638.JPG

I guess if I was going to do something like this I might use the teflon to make the channel when I glued the different pieces of the top together.

Violin purfling channels are often cut with a hand held cutter the follows the edge of the top. Ibex makes one. You could make a template for something like this and cut the slot after the top pieces had been assembled - if you didn't carve the center until after it was glued on you could leave a little ledge for the cutter to follow. This could also be done with a small router if you put some sort of fixture to set the depth of the cut - I use something like that to route binding channels on archtops and lesters.

I would want to see a profile of the top to decide exactly how to jig this up (and for that matter, how to do the carving), but, yeah, I can think of several ways to do it that don't involve a cnc.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Mr_Q likes this.
  19. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

I just found this video. Answers many questions.

wadeeinkauf, photondev and brandonh like this.
  20. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Why not just laminate the top piece in 3 layers? Maple/Black fiber/ White fiber. When you shape the top, the edges of the thin layers will be exposed as a black/white stripe.

crazydave911 and photondev like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.