I want to buy an e-bike conversion kit for my bicycle,,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Sep 15, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

What should I get?

I don't need to go any faster than 15 or 20

No offroad, just commuting

I'm interested in a front or back wheel version.

Bafang and iMoror are names that come up. I like the fact the iMotor has the battery as part of the wheel itself as a cartridge that pops in and out.

Bafang seems to focus on hub motors and my bike wont fit one.

Any ideas on quality and brands, again the iMotor battery type looks good for me,,

Thanks guys/gals/etc...

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

An e-bike's gonna be safer than those e-cigs . . .

:eek:

Go for it.
    Pics will be mandatory.
    Peace - Deeve

LeftFinger, ASATKat and matmosphere like this.
  3. Avi S

Avi S TDPRI Member

Don't get an all-in-one like the iMortor. What if the controller fails? The controller, especially, doesn't like being hot & cooped up away from air flow. If it fails you'll have to rig up an external to replace it.

Expect to spend more on the Lithium battery than the motor. The battery is most important. You can use an ebike battery pack or, if you have them, cordless power tool/lawnmower packs/RC hobby packs.

You should explain the kind of terrain you have (hills? flat?), speed & range you want, how much pedaling you actually want to do, what make & model bicycle you have, & what your budget is. Endless Sphere is a good place to get ebike advice and see other people's builds.

Looks like you don't want to go fast so maybe you don't need anything more than a cheap direct drive hub motor kit from eBay or Amazon. But how do you know a hub motor won't fit your bike?

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

before or after the move?

Jim622 and suave eddie like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How old are you ?

Because if you’re as old as I think you are, you don’t need an E bike to go 17.5 miles an hour .

Especially if you live where it’s sunny with no rain 300+ days a year…o_O

Uncle Bob and rickthescot like this.
  6. Avi S

Avi S TDPRI Member

Also to be clear what a hub motor is: the iMortor is a hub motor. Bafang also makes hub motors but the Bafang motors that are popular today are their bottom bracket BBS motors. These motors use the chain. Hub motors don't use the chain. They turn the wheel.

ASATKat and DonM like this.
  7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

About 7 years ago I bought a "Hilltopper" kit from Clean Republic, about $600 for the kit including the front wheel with motor attached, battery and cables. Fairly easy install, but had to file the droputs just a bit larger. 250 watt motor that will do 15 MPH on it's on. Mainly use it for against the wind, and the few hills here. Batteries last about 2 years, but I use it almost every day, sometimes charge it twice a day. On my third battery now. Got the 20 mile lithium battery for it.

Originally put the kit on a "comfort" bike, but recently transferred the kit to a Townie cruiser, which also has 26" wheels. Just got back from a ride along the beach. The Bafang motor freewheels when not being used, adds no drag. Controller is in the battery pack, so when you buy a new pack, you get a new controller. The "throttle" is just a push button that velcros to the grip.

Townie Motorized.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Avi S, ASATKat and DonM like this.
  8. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Hey Tom! I was wondering if I'd bump into you here. I see Boris and Any are around here too. Ever stay in touch with other '51ers? I haven't been in touch with Gypsyhook for many years as well. I started to hang here lately. Get in touch and maybe come up with another ditty or two.

9. tap4154

No I haven't heard from them Dan, but Boris is here. I haven't been on here much lately, but still play. Haven't recorded in a long time. Moved and haven't even unpacked my little recorder. Been here a long time, as you can see from my post count :cool:

10. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

What part of town did you move to? Did you get out of Rohnert Park to somewhere with less transients wandering around your property?

ASATKat and bender66 like this.
  11. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Check out "pendix ebike"

ASATKat likes this.
  12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Yes, a very nice rural place in between Cotati and Penngrove.

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

pretty expensive for just the motor, around $1000. Then shipping from the netherlands, ouch,

Thanks, a cool, unique product.

trouserpress likes this.
  14. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

This is the iMotor I'm thinking about. Front wheel model.

https://www.ebay.com/i/223167940467...Y8CugmoDfRRnu4hZFHnt826nYn9WjjZBoCwOIQAvD_BwE

15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I don't understand how you know what I want or need.

I'm 65, and I'm not looking to go fast, 15mph and less. Plus I want pedal assist so I'm not giving up regular biking. Plus I have some medical issues that would warrent a motor.

16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Outside of iMotor which is pretty proprietary. I've considered a Bafang or Jaxpety hubs.

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

One observation I've had is balance and bike handling. Be careful so you don't have a bike that will be prone to wash out off of pavement or in the wet. If you you want to keep riding with age and health issues consider a bike designed to handle well as an e-assist bike.

Wallo Tweed and Avi S like this.
  18. Avi S

Avi S TDPRI Member

Yep, that iMortor is a 36V 240W direct drive hub motor with a 3.2 Amp/hour battery for $439+$180 shipping from China. The trouble with buying from China is if anything goes wrong with it, you're out of luck returning it--it'll be too expensive to ship back.

Amazon has a GRM iMortor (ASIN: B07TF472BL ) for $430 & free shipping. Not including a $30 off discount coupon at the moment. Fulfillment by Amazon so shouldn't be any trouble if you have to return it. This iMortor is 36V 350W so it's a little more powerful and it comes with a 7.2 Ah battery--twice the capacity of the one you listed. I don't like all-in-one motors but if you have to buy an iMortor, this one is better. The iMortor's saving grace is that the built-in controller and battery can be bypassed* if they fail.

At Amazon non-all-in-one 26" wheel 36V 500W direct drive motor kits without battery like Jaxpety cost around $160. Ebikeling has a 36V 500W geared motor kit for $235.

And yeah, rear wheel drive is safer than front wheel drive.

* iMortor teardown video:

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thanks, very informative. Rear wheels are harder to steal I would imagine. I'm getting a motion alarm that contacts my phone.

20. tap4154

15 MPH is fast enough. Ebikes almost outnumber regular bikes on the beach paths I ride, and the jerks that go whizzing by at 20-25 MPH are a nuisance. It's like driving a freeway... it's the cars that are going faster or slower that cause the accidents. People aren't expecting speeds like that on a bike path.

ASATKat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.