I want this Les Paul. say yes, Mommy.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by thunderbyrd, Oct 7, 2019.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i want me a Les Paul like that one. the current gibson custom shop '59s are $6500. but i'm sure i could find an acceptable 59 reissue for $4000, or less. but that is not a possibility as things are right now. and i need a good brown face fender to plug it into - an allen brown sugar would work.

maybe i ought to go out and find a job.

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Well, if you think that'll help...o_O

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

how are your slide chops?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. thunderbyrd

5. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

"You'll shoot yer eye out, kid"

stepvan, Greggorios, fatcat and 4 others like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Epiphone Special Junior for $50 can get you there with a $30 Joyo American Sound pedal direct to the PA.

While here's a Strat, it's through a Joyo direct to the PA at a gig.

hellopike and thunderbyrd like this.
  7. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I’m in the minority perhaps but I’ve never quite understood the allure of the R9s. The real deal ‘59s, sure. I guess it’s that neck on the R9s? I have two R8s that have tops just as nice looking as an R9, but then again I love the chunky necks. And I probably saved close to $2k in each of them by buying the R8 instead of the R9. So anyway...maybe you can get along with the R8 neck and save at least a little dough? Probably should still get that job though...

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...in standard tuning...

Luthi3rz and thunderbyrd like this.
  9. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

1972. Close the the Stones highest plateau...

Kudos Mr Taylor. One of the finest players (IMHO) ever.

CP.

brookdalebill, DonM and thunderbyrd like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why not just get a Standard or Classic in burst?

Flakey and thunderbyrd like this.
  11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

If I were in the market for an LP - I'd get the 60's Standard. Not Custom Shop but also 1/3 the price.
    [​IMG]

12. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking about getting a Les Paul as well. I've been looking at the Les Paul Faded. I'm assuming (never assume, lol) it's like a regular Les Paul but without the bindings, fretboard inlays, and fancy finish on the body.

Hence, the waaay lower price.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

thunderbyrd likes this.
  14. thunderbyrd

one of the best deals on a les paul is the early '90s studios. I had one and it was a great guitar. it has a sound somewhat different from a standard (imo) because of the ebony fretboard, but still very good. they have good necks on them, too. I shoud have never sold the one I had.

this thread is about a dream, I doubt i'll ever have the kind of money these guitars cost. even if I get 2 jobs. but anything is possible.

KWal and Zepfan like this.
  15. thunderbyrd

I have a friend who has owned 2 59s. both of them broke my heart. they were both very light with perfect necks. I consider the 1st one he had to be probably the best guitar I've ever played. I remember he had payed $5500 for it.

but there are probably some '58s or 60s that would be acceptable.

ecoast likes this.
  16. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

60s yes because the neck profiles are closer the 59s. I’m guessing if you like the 59/60 necks though, you’d be hard pressed finding a 58 that you like. #neckgoals

thunderbyrd likes this.
  17. telestratosonic

Thanks for the heads up on the Studio. I had a Les Paul Custom in the early 70s. It was a superbly built guitar and for playability, the best guitar I've ever owned. Seven years ago, I had a chambered Les Paul; light and well-made. But I sold it. What was I thinking!?!? Now, at 70 in a couple of weeks and retired, a high-end Les Paul is out of my reach. I'm heading to the city on Thursday and I'll be checking out the Studio models.

stepvan and thunderbyrd like this.
  18. thunderbyrd

Telestratosonic: the studios i'm talking about are the first 5-6 years they made them, maybe less/ I don't know exactly when Gibson made the 1st ones. the one I had was made in 1992. these early ones are very very good. I don't know when the quality fell off on them. I have a friend that has a studio from around 2007 and that one is (imo) a total junker.

the early good ones have a big neck, ebony fretboard, and a maple cap. most of them were wine colored with a sort of thick paint.

realistically, I should hunt me down one of those.

was the lp custom you had made after 1968? or one from the '50s? because i have found out that those first 3-4 years from 68, when the LP came back, are actually some of the best Les Pauls ever made. a friend of mine moved Heaven and earth to get a really rare 1970 or 1971 Lp custom with p-90's recently. he had owned one like it back when it was new and traded it along, then missed it and never saw another like it until this one showed up. he paid around $4000 for it.

I played it one time and it is great. plays like a cloud. i have been told that some of those early 68 - onwards were made from old LP bodies that had been laying in the shop since the 50's. who knows?

19. telestratosonic

thunderbyrd: I bought that black Les Paul Custom with gold-plated pickups and hardware in 1973 from a guy who bought it new a couple years earlier. I believe he paid around $1100 Canadian for it.This was in Newfoundland.

As for the Studios, I'm not buying one Thursday. But I'll definitely start watching out for early models like the one you described. Thanks again for the heads up.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  20. thunderbyrd

my slide chops ought to be pretty darn fearsome, because i'm taking slide lessons from Warren Haynes. that's right.

well, actually i'm learning from warren's book. well, more accurately, I have warren's book on slide guitar on my bookshelf. as soon as I can afford a 59 reissue, I will get that book down and learn how to play the slide guitar.

Fretting out and IrishTeleDan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.