1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I want 'the moon on a stick'. (Twin Reverb alternatives).

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Jun 5, 2014.

1. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

I get the sense few folks have heard, much less played through the Rottweiler. I've done both, a friend of mine who is a world class guitarist with a collection of vintage pieces he's owned since they were new and who owns a music store has both the Rottweiler and Boxer (6v6, closer to a Deluxe). They really are exceptionally toneful and light, if somewhat plain looking.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

DRRI: Deluxe Reverb Reissue. No full stacks for me, that's beyond too much!

3. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I played through a Laney half stack last night at rehearsal (they belong to the rehearsal studio) first time for many years. My Telecaster sounded great on both the overdrive and clean channels though it did squeal a bit on higher gain settings (Fender OV pups in an Affinity). I don't think my ears could handle a full stack judging by this experience though, so I agree that it would be beyond too much. :D

I've never heard of the Rottweiler or Boxer (the later is quite appropriate as my parents used to bred Boxer dogs when I was a kid). They do look a bit 'brutal' but it's the sound at the end of the day.

I've been looking into some of the kits as well to make an SE5 type amp, but I'm not sure that it would be the sort of clean sound I'm after? However, I've found a UK supplier who also supplies Tweed (or Marshall style) cabinets, so I may even look into building an amp from scratch using one of their cabinets. I've done similar many years ago, but it was a valve preamp stage into the power stage of an transistor combo amp I had, more for the overdrive/distortion tone.

5. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I would say an AB763 circuit with 2x JJ 6V6 or a pair of 6L6. If you can get one with a PPIMV, you will be able to dial back the volume but still get a nice tone. I use G1265 Heritage or Cannabis Rex 12" depending if you want a brighter or darker tone.

I have one with a stock Vibrato channel and a seperated Normal channel with more "oomph"., switching channels with an ABY box. It's very versatile, I found. I do love that opto bug vibrato.
    PM me if you have any questions and we can have a chat on the blower:p

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks Rob, I may well take you up on that offer. :cool:

A quick search has found some diagrams that look very much like the book I had/have somewhere hidden in the loft.

7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Twin Reverbs have a Mid control, that will really scoops the Mids. Don't be afraid to cut the Mids very low, if the amp has three band EQ.

I play British amps, that run 6V6 tubes, like the Vox Tony Bruno TB18C1 and Laney Cub 10. I replace the Celestion speakers with Jensen or Eminence speakers. And, I use a Zoom MFX pedal for Tape Echo, Tremolo and EQ. I'll cut the Mids for rhythm work, until it starts to sound almost acoustic.

[​IMG]

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Nice selection of amps there Slim. I know what you mean about removing the mids too for that acoustic effect; with the right chord voicings it can sound a bit '12 string' like.

I received some tubes through the post today. Lower gain versions of the 12AX7 in the pre amp stage of my Blackstar HT5-R (12AT7 and 12AY7). So far I've tried the 12AT7 (ECC81) with a mu of 60 rather than 100 and it's given me much more control on the drive channel and it's definitely a little brighter too: It's no Twin reverb, but now I can use the drive channel with the gain set low for a clean tone, but use the (drive channel only) EQ controls. It's approaching a Knopfler like tone, but I'm using my Tele since my Strat is still at the Luthier. It's certainly better than the modelling Line 6 amp.

It no longer goes from 0-150mph for more distorted tones too, so I think it will keep me happy while I get round to trying out different Fender/Fender clone amps out.

I'm currently waiting for an Amazon delivery today of a Tube Screamer which I've been wanting for 30 years, so I'm looking forward to how this works with a cleaner sounding amp: I used a cheap fuzz box when I played through that Twin I spoke about and remember that sounding pretty good.

9. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

If money isn't an issue take a look at Vintage Sound Amps. I've been drooling over these for years, but they are pricey. There may be some boutique builders that can build a Deluxe Reverb with 6l6's, or a low power twin option. Again, if money isn't an issue you can have just about anything made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.