1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I want the Gibson sound in a Fender body

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WilburBufferson, Feb 6, 2021.

1. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

I put those in my Tele Blacktop HH. Sounds pretty thick and lush but nothing like my LP Studio with Burstbuckers. The Gibson is very much more articulate.

Jazzerstang likes this.
  2. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Look around for a 1983 - 85 Fender "Elite" model Stratocaster, it literally can sound like ANY electric solid-body guitar you'd want. How? It came with Lindy Fralin Active Electronics and his stacked pickup that look like single poles and 100% Noiseless, these were the predecessors to the Fender Lace Sensor PuP's. Push button PuP selection that gives you 7 instead of 5, and controls include a master volume, a TBX treble/bass expander and an active MDX midrange booster with 12 dB of gain. Roller string trees

American Alder or Swamp Ash body, Nitro Sunburst Finish, Maple neck with Compound C-to-D shape 12-in radius/Maple or Brazilian Rosewood board, 22 Jumbo frets.

A bleached ox bone nut, Schaller sealed locking tuners, Roller Trees, Schaller /Fender "Free Flyte" full floating Tremolo. Bi-Flex™ truss rod system.

There were also a Elite Telecaster model, Elite Precision and Jazz Bass models. the Elite line (Strat, Telecaster and Basses) only lasted from 1983 to 1987 because they cost too much for the time even when the production was moved to Japan with Fujigen Gakki in late 1985

1983 first year, preproduction run #1 1982 in 3-color Burst.
    fender_strat_elite_front.JPG
    Fender Strat Elite body.JPG
    fender_strat_elite_back.JPG

3. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Tomorrow, I'll be installing TV Jones classic filter'trons in my squier strat. I'll let you know how that goes.

4. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Why wait? Do it now!!!

OmegaWoods likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm quite content with the range of scale lengths from Gibson to Fender, no problem at all.

My discontent with Les Pauls (and I've owned a number of very nice one over the years) is that when playing sitting, that heavy butt wants to fall off to the rear end, and the shape/size of the guitar feels a little small for a guitar having that much heavy weight. They're typically too heavy and too unbalanced for my enjoyment while playing sitting.

Contrast that with the ES-Les Paul, which I LOVE! All because it's lighter AND it's well balanced. Wonderful difference.

[​IMG]

I'm down to one last solid body Les Paul, but did acquire two ES-Les Pauls last year. I will happily let the solid body go, but those two ES-Les Pauls will be with me til the end.

TO me, the weight and balance of a guitar are significant factors in my playing enjoyment.

This one I installed a new wiring harness and a pair of TV Jones T-Armond single coils (DeArmond-style pickups). Light weight, perfect balance, great tone, Gibson scale length.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  6. DHart

OmegaWoods.... you and I think quite alike! I'm sure your project will please you. Consider a high resistance volume pot and no-load tone pots to extract all the goodness on tap from those Filter'trons.

As I have several "normal" Strats, I decided to go with this set-up, for some variety. Worked out awesome.

2019 Fender Player Plus Top with 2018 Fender Classic '60s neck, and HS Filter'tron pickups.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    OmegaWoods and NTC like this.
  7. KIRK BRYANT

KIRK BRYANT TDPRI Member

Ok I’m in. Here’s mine. OMG! A Double Scotch Spalt! 41144EE1-ECBD-4FA6-B75E-16557FC5EF6E.jpeg
    And of course there a single coil pull switch. While not a “real” Tele, it’s a pretty good impression of one.

OmegaWoods likes this.
  8. Erik Thomas

Erik Thomas TDPRI Member

ers-l1600.jpg [​IMG] I recently purchased the Fender Blacktop Mahogany HHH Strat and its amazing. The pickups are fantastic and the guitar has a great neck that plays fast and easy. Its a very solid guitar and its quality is at the level of Fender USA, even though its made in Mexico. I saw mine used at guitarcenter.com just before Christmas so I bought it for myself as a gift not knowing much about it. Turns out these were limited runs. There are some available online at reverb and ebay. Just a flat out special guitar and it gets you Gibsony in a Strat.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  9. DHart

Pretty ding dang cool! Does the switching work the pickups like a regular Strat, 5-way?

And, yes, Fender's Ensenada plant turns out work that's quite right! Good stuff.

Erik Thomas likes this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I went the opposite path... Gibson feeling with Tele sound:

[​IMG]

11. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

The gibson sound is due to the short scale..not gonna get there without it

Commodore 64 likes this.
  12. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

play the Jazzmaster and accept the fact that it does not sound like a Gibson
    that offset body was designed for the ergonomic comfort you seek

bolt-on neck
    neck & body woods
    bridge / tailpiece construction
    scale length
    all contribute to inherent sound differences between instruments

13. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have one of these I bought new from Musician's Friend in 2002 or so . Mine has uncovered Dimarzio buckers . Made in Korea , I think they were a MF model only , also came in black and a goldtop too . Very flat radius , it is light , is a pleasure to play . I refer to it as my Fender SG . Really nice looking , I get a lot of compliments , the yellowed binding really makes the color pop .

Dave Hicks likes this.
  14. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Dave Hicks likes this.
  15. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

Gibson tone? Like Jimmy Page’s tone on the first Zepplin album?

16. Sol1

Sol1 TDPRI Member

Yep. It doesn't obviously turn Tele into LP, but it wouldn't happen even if you replaced all singles with humbuckers. Quite understandable, since these are two totally different guitars.

But still you get that juicy tone, which is just fantastic. I got mine Tele because of that Classic 57 in the front.

17. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Agree about the LP. My 90's Gibson LP Studio was close to 12lbs. It sounded great, but was uncomfortable compared to my Strat unless sitting. My DeArmond Bluesbird is 7lbs. It's comfortable sitting or standing, more balanced.
    I'm happy with the SG and I'll have a flat top ES LP soon as I get around to building it.

DHart likes this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

19. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20200810_112705.jpg
    I might recommend something like this. You can't have mine, though.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.