I Want Something Like This

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Grandy, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I got bored so I designed a pedal I'd like to have. I have no idea whether it's feasible or not. Maybe you can tell me what you think. It's sort of a drum machine. You don't really program it and it doesn't have complete patterns to play along with. Instead you combine different sounds and patterns to create rhythms. There would need to be some clever algorithm to make sure the different patterns fit.

It looks like a four channel mixer. On each "channel" you can choose a sound/intrument. You could have a bass drum on one channel, then a snare etc. One channel could be dedicated to let's say different bass drums or they could be identical and it would be up to the user to mix them any way he/she wants to. The small box version could only maybe have two channels and a deluxe version more and maybe some fancy filttering and onboard effects.

The idea is to keep it simple enough to be able to tweak during performance. It's not a production tool. There are already loads of good drum machines. And it is not a practicing aid or a drummer replacement. There are those kinds of pedals too. It's more tweakable than those but more simple than a proper drum machine.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. TheTruth

TheTruth TDPRI Member

Nice thought.
    So do we create drum / other patterns, store them as a preset & then use them ?

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Just thinking here and it would probably be impossible but..... if it could be like a looper and each string has a different drum/ instrument you can record and save as a rhythm.
    Ex.
    1st string- bass drum
    2nd string -snare
    3rd string - high hat
    And so on......
    Or maybe something similar
    I don’t know if that’s possible or if you need midi to do that.
    Just kicking an idea around

Either way I like your idea a lot and look forward to seeing one:)

4. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

My thinking was that you don't trigger the sounds. The device would generate those on its own according to how it is set. It's more like tweaking a step sequencer on the fly, just not all the options.

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Some broadly similar has been done in the Arduino community. Doing it any other way than with a microcontroller ( or something like a Raspberry PI for squits, giggles and over-the-topness ) would lead to convoluted workarounds with timers for sync.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.