I want some P 90s, but I don’t want a new guitar.

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never owned a guitar with P 90s. I’d like to, but I just do not want to have another guitar. I am close to 50 now and I’m simply out of space. I have a dual humbucker Squier affinity tele that is a really great guitar, but I do not play it much as I have multiple other guitars that fill that niche better. I thought it would be a good candidate.
What would be involved in converting it over? If even possible. Also pickup recommendations?

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You can usually put P90's in a HB spot with some work. It depends on the rout length in the body.
With a pickguard it's usually pretty easy to cut the pickguard for P90 soapbars.
On a Tele, just screw the pickups into the body.
There are some HB pickup plates made to adapt for guitars without pickguards around the pups.. I have made cutouts for P90's in universal HB plates before.
Or you can mount Soapbar P90's in a Dogear cover with two screws. If the dogear is flat/low enough (under the strings) then mount it to your body.
I like the Gibsons. A used set usually isn't that much.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
Do your current guitars have cases or gig bags? If so there is always an empty case. So you need to rethink not wanting another guitar. Wanting stuff is GAS and that is what our atmosphere is made of. Look it up.
I hear ya. Really. I never thought I’d say the words, but seriously, 50 guitars in a 1300sq. ft. house. Plus a cello and assortment of other small stringed instruments.
I know it is likely to offend the prevailing sensibilities, but at this point I simply do not want another guitar. But damn I want some P 90s!

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
If your body is routed like this one it might be easy!
86DBD108-C793-4889-AAED-41EE3C081392.jpeg

This is the likely candidate. I assume it has similar routing.

WillerZ

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Maybe worth considering the seymour duncan p-rails set and their triple-shot mounting rings?

They prioritized the P90 side so the humbucker and single coil parts are not going to sound like PAFs or tele (or a strat). I like all 3 tones but it's really only the P90 that sounds instantly familiar.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A regular P-90 will not fit a regular humbucker rout. You'd need to make a humbucker rout wider than it is to fit regular P-90s. There are P90s made in humbucker shapes to fit humbucker routs, but they won't sound and behave 100% the same a regular P90s. My advice? If you want P-90s get real ones, don't approximate. They will be noisier than regular Tele / Strat singlecoils if that matters to you.

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
A regular P-90 will not fit a regular humbucker rout. You'd need to make a humbucker rout wider than it is to fit regular P-90s. There are P90s made in humbucker shapes to fit humbucker routs, but they won't sound and behave 100% the same a regular P90s. My advice? If you want P-90s get real ones, don't approximate. They will be noisier than regular Tele / Strat singlecoils if that matters to you.
I would definitely want to get real ones. I’m very comfortable with doing any modifications necessary.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'd suggest checking out the line up at Guitar Fetish.

They have a great selection of P90 pickups that are made to fit a traditional humbucker size and shape route/ring.
The "Mean90" is my fave. Both bridge and neck.

Agreed. The Dream 90s worked great for me in a semi-hollow AS-73.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I'll go against the grain here... Gibson P94's will fit and to my ears sound almost identical to a traditional P90, Gibson use the same wire and magnets as a P90, it's close enough that it doesn't matter imo, it has the same character and any tonal difference can easily be adjusted with amp settings.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I'm in the "if you want P90's, you want real P90's" survey group. Anything else doesn't have the voice.

Believe it or not, Epiphone P90's are fabulous. Try some out at a local guitar store. Play rolled back to 8, then full out and with a little gain. Fabulous. Very inexpensive used and very nice sound if you plan to do a conversion of a guitar you own.

If you really have 50 guitars and none with P90's, you should part with something else. There has to be some redundancy in there you don't need. Otherwise, the options are above.