I Want My Money Back... Game of Thrones Spoiler Alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, May 20, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

My favorite map has Westeros and Essos connected at the north pole. So walk north through the "land of Always Winter" and eventually get to the "Shadowlands."

[​IMG]

It works if the one land mass is doughnut shaped and wraps around the pole.

[​IMG]

Torren61 likes this.
  2. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I ran across folks on the internet obsessing over the TV show Game of Thrones years ago while perusing sports and guitar forums. I scoffed at it and told myself I wasn't ever going to watch that rot, and I didn't get HBO anyway. Then one day I was at the library looking for a book to take with me on a working trip. I found some book that looked as if it might be interesting but I saw it was part of a series, and I figured I should start at the beginning, so I looked for book one. When I saw the title Game of Thrones I had reservations, but decided I'd try give it a shot. I think I read all 800+ pages in about two days. I couldn't put it down and I couldn't wait to get back to the library for book two. I finished all five books (all around 800-900 pages) in about three months.

We don't have television service at home anymore, so I still have only watched two complete episodes of the show, the very first episode which was available free on HBOs website, and the battle with the Night King a few weeks ago while in a hotel on another trip for work. I did amuse myself by watching a lot of YouTube clips, so I became familiar with the show. I think I feel the same way a lot of folks do about the show, that as the show followed the books the plot and dialogue were superior to the later episodes when they had chronologically surpassed Martin's story. Still, seasons 6 and 7 were not that bad, but this season just seemed to be a rush to the finish without any regard for the plot or dialogue. Oh well, not the end of the world.

I do hope Martin finishes the book series, and I hope he does it better than the show. I think that maybe part of the problem with him finishing it is that he expanded the story so much in A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons. There were storylines and major characters introduced that never made it to the show such as Victarion of the Iron Islands, the brother of Euron. Then there was Lady Stoneheart, the wight formerly Catelyn Stark. But even more involved was Jon Connington and the alleged Targaryen heir "Griff" and their invasion of Westeros with The Golden Company. I think the story began to spiral out of control and George R. R. Martin started having difficulty bringing all those loose ends together to make the story work. Anyway, I hope it gets finished because he has a talent for storytelling.

I don't understand those folks who scoff at the fantasy genre, but GoT sure seems to bring them out. After all, all fiction is really fantasy whether it be western, medieval, future, or present day. It's all just entertainment.

RLee77, Torren61 and rcole_sooner like this.
  3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The finale didn’t bug me much, and I think they actually played it out rather well all things considered, obviously some frayed and loose ends that could have been better resolved. The happy ending for most of the surviving characters is out of character for the show. Bran accepting the crown when he wouldn’t even consider being lord of winterfell because of his responsibility as the 3 eyed raven doesn’t make any sense.

For me what was way more confusing is the episode before. With Dany’s Intense and rapid breakdown. Yes it was hinted at multiple times through the series, but she went from being fairly benevolent and riding the mercy, love, and freedom train to burning an entire city down in 2 episodes and 3 conversations.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

D&D are incompetent and once the show surpassed the source material it's easy to understand why.

- Jon was banished from the 6 Kingdoms, apparently even from Winterfell (doesn't make sense).

- Why didn't Yara and the Prince of Dorne ask for independence as well?

- Why is there even the Night's Watch?

- Why build up Jon's character as the rightful heir to the throne for 8 season? That didn't serve any purpose.

- Bran the Broken doesn't make sense, is it because his legs are broken?
    Seriously, should he be King? Jon would have been a better ruler.
    I understand he doesn't care about the throne but for the sake of his character they should have voted for him, eventually he would pass it down to whoever else.

- Danerys went from good to bad way to fast, it needed another season just for her character development.

I'm disappointed because all the characters regressed back to who they were in season 1. Especially Jon Snow.
    A lot of things went unanswered, prophecies, things they said that are left unexplained etc.

I would have been happier if Jon died with Danerys, maybe burnt by the dragon.
    Or if the night king won everything. That would be a better finale than the what we got.

cyclopean, Danjabellza and Torren61 like this.
  5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Because he can't father children?

Torren61 likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

You do know in real life dragons don't breath fire.
    That is just silly to show a dragon breathing fire on someone.
    They are generally pretty docile and live in the land of Honahlee .

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Surely it's a spinal injury...

getbent likes this.
  8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

It makes no sense for John Snow/Whatever Targerean to follow through on being a Ranger at the wall. In the first instance, I need to revisit the prior season because I was under the impression that the zombie dragon had destroyed the entire wall including Castle Black. So assuming there is an ice wall (and no incongruence), that the zombie king and army are dead, and the wildlings are reduced in size and are somewhat tame now, why maintain a wall and watch? Moreover, Grey Worm's eunuch army is much smaller than it once was and sailed off to another continent and there is no reason people of royalty with control of their continent to keep their word and give in to the demands of a lesser that sailed away and probably will never come back.

Then there is the issue of the redhead wildling and his people being at Castle Black when John arrived. I infer that a few months had passed since the red wild man said they were going north and passing on the fight down at King's Landing. So we encounter the incongruent situation that redman and his people have been hanging out at the castle for months for no apparent reason.

Finally, where was John going with the wildlings north of the wall and why? What is the point of patrolling the north side of the wall if that is what we are to infer he was doing? Or was he going native and going to live with the indigs?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    RLee77, Torren61 and backporchmusic like this.
  9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

One good thing about the end of GOT is that now the college marching bands may retire the theme song from their repertoire. It is a good composition but I don't need or want to hear it at every break in the action in every college football game I watch.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

No, the zombie Visarion just blew a hole in the wall at Eastwatch-By-The-Sea, not the whole wall.

They even showed the hole in the opening credits every week for the past six weeks...

kelnet, getbent and Torren61 like this.
  11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yeah that whole thing with Greyworm suddenly thinking he’s got any semblance of say in the matter of Jon is preposterous. He’s a nobody, with Dany dead. For him to presume to dictate anything to the collective heads of the kingdoms, let alone suggest killing Jon, with Jon’s sister the queen of the north sitting there, nope. And yet a simple foot soldier forces the queen of the north, and the ruler of the 7 kingdoms to exile their brother, who freed them from a tyrant, back to the north, as an outcast? So Bran and Sansa are powerless against the pouty glare of a spearman, apparently... :p

And they awkwardly glossed over the chain of events after the dragon flew away with Dany. No one saw what happened, and the dragon flew away with the body. So for Jon to be imprisoned, he had to have confessed to all that he killed her... and we have to just infer that? That seems like a rather important dramatic scene to skip over. That was handled clumsily and badly.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    7171551 likes this.
  12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The entire season was done quickly and they mostly got away with the first 5 epipsodes because it was all action and fight scenes but as soon as they had to lay down a plot you could feel it was rushed it to the finish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.