I Want My Money Back... Game of Thrones Spoiler Alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, May 20, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've let it settle in for a few days. Not to fond of the ending. The last two installments were not well done.

Point 1: Dani's character all along was to fight for the people. Next to last installment they went too far away from that with her burning the whole city. It could have been just destroying the castle and killing all of Circe's men, thus making her not acceptable to the Starks by executing Circe's soldiers, but not in such a way so contrary to who she was.
    Point 2: OK, let's go with John going to kill Dani. The moment they kiss and just before he kills her she should have said: I'm pregnant! Suddenly then maybe he doesn't kill her and has to go against that ***** Sansa!
    Point 3: (and my biggest complaint) OK, he does kill her like it showed. WTF.. they didn't mention Dani the whole rest of the show. REALLY? She's like the most important character in the show for a few seasons. We are all into her character. At least they could have showed the Dragon placing her in a special place.. maybe even Dragon eggs nearby! It was a bit like near the series end if Tony Soprano just got run over by a bus and they never mentioned him again.
    Point 4: BRAN? Really? He's been like a B character, supporting actor on a street scene in the whole thing. Rarely even seen.

I think they just decided "ok we've got to end this thing quick so we'll make a token attempt in just 6 episodes." Big let down. Breaking Bad knew how to end a series.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Was she really doing it for the people? Every step she took was in pursuit of regaining the Iron Throne - for herself. To reclaim the rule of the 7 Kingdoms, which she saw as taken from her family.

frankg11, wulfenganck and Torren61 like this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

She knew Jon was the rightful heir to the throne and she knew others knew that. She would have had to deal with Jon in spite of loving him. That would have set up a battle of her forces against the North and their allies. They could have moved the storyline with Sansa under threat and Bran somehow getting control of the dragon and Arya using her skills to get close enough to Danny to dispatch her and either save Jon if he was still alive or avenge him if he was dead. Tyrion would/should have been killed in about a day after she had him taken. We needed to see more of Danny sliding into her "mad queen" role.

All that would have required at least another episode or two.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

agree. if you remember, when she and her brother first went across the water, it was simply to get the dothraki to help them regain power... her whole 'break the wheel' campaign came after when her fortunes and the situations shifted... not saying it wasn't noble, but it wasn't 'all along' by any stretch of reality or perception.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

They were already 'across the water' when we met them in the first episode.

6. kelnet

Yeah, but didn't they go there in order to buy an army? Or had they been there since childhood? Anyway, the marriage of Daenerys to the leader was all about getting an army.

7. David Barnett

I think they had been there since Robert's Rebellion. That's, what, 17 years before the events of GOT? Was Dany even 17 at the start of the show (or book)? I guess she was born at Dragonstone then secreted over to Essos as an infink? Hadn't Viserys and Daenerys been the guests of Illyrio Mopatis all that time?

And yes Daenerys was married off to Kal Drogo to secure an army for Viserys. Guess that didn't work out to well for him. He was no dragon...

8. kelnet

Viserys was too much of a hot-head.

David Barnett likes this.
  9. getbent

yes, they travelled there to get an army.

10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

The east coast of Essos

rcole_sooner likes this.
  11. getbent

home of the esse's of essos

12. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I think Martin's big point is that all kings/autocrats rationalize their actions by convincing themselves that they are not only "good", but also the best person for the job. ANd then they convince themselves that any action taken to preserve their position is worth it because the ends justify the means.
    Yes, Dany only killed those that seemed to deserve it at first. Yes, it was a big jump from executing the Tarleys and Varays to killing hundreds of thousands of civilians (wasn't King's Landing home to 500,000?).

I don't think they wanted to portray her as having gone "mad," but just fully adopting the autocrat mindset.

Here is what I would have liked to have seen:
    Dany just take out the Red Keep and Cersei (with some civilian collateral damage) and put herself of the throne; it would have been one step. Then they could have had her march to conquer Winterfell, subduing towns along the way that did not immediately "bend the knee." That would have been a good time to take out Varays, not because he was plotting, but because she is getting paranoid. This would have showed a more believable progression. And then Jon could save the day (take out Dany as she is about to torch Winterfell). Jon becomes king. He renounces the crown by turning the decision as who should rule to the Kingdom's lords (who make Sansa their Queen (with Bran as member of the Small Council -- Master of Whispers)). Then Jon heads north of the wall to set up a new Kingdom and hand out with Ghost.

But they didn't ask me.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  13. David Barnett

Before 1972, after which they changed their name to Exxon.

getbent likes this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

This may be an unpopular view. But I'm convinced that if they had ended with Dany and Grey Worm marching off with their armies and dragon to conquer the world, it would have been a much cooler ending.

Isn't Ned Stark's beheading the thing that got us hooked to begin with--and the Red Wedding sealed the deal--the notion that honorable, decent people who play by the rules are destined to lose to the more ambitious, unscrupulous, and hate-filled folk? That's the game.

15. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve said it before, the big problem was not who got, or did what, that’s the writers/producer/director and marketing folks prerogative with the story line. The problem was just how immensely boring those last two episodes were, that was a combination of writing and directing failures. As noted before, only the dragon was entertaining.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wait...you're disappointed in.....TELEVISION?
    Do you also get disappointed with the "food" at Burger King?

17. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Idaho?

I remember driving toward Elk City, ID for camping resupply about thirty years ago and trying to explain to my wife, who is from Seoul, that we might not find everything we need. She said "Of course we will, it's a city!". Yeah, population 200. So I guess there isn't much west of Westeros.

18. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Are you saying the world is round??!!!:eek:

19. kelnet

They fled Westeros when she was a toddler, and lived in Bravos for a few years. When Dany was five, they were forced to flee Bravos, and they travelled the Free Cities for years. They were in Pentos for about 6 months before the marriage.

So apparently, they didn't leave Westeros to go get an army.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Daenerys_Targaryen#History

etype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.