I Want My Money Back... Game of Thrones Spoiler Alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, May 20, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

good stories still rule. westworld had a GREAT first season, but lost its way... some writers get hung up on hide and seek plot twists... a writer friend of mine told me there are just a couple of plots in the world... we know them.. what we want is one of those plots--> well told.

I have come to believe that we connect to characters because they allow us to connect to ourselves and also to see how a different sensibility perceives... characters I complete do not understand (like Ramsey) I appreciate hearing their voice... but I feel--> Ned and John and, to a point Circe (when her hair was cut and she was humiliated) and I long to have a white wolf or a dragon... and I was inspired by how Dany thought things could be, and I admired Grey Worm's loyalty and commitment...

there will always be great stories and lots of average ones.. I really enjoyed our time with GOT and do not regret having spent time on it... it let me look inward and outward in new ways... and that is cool! There are new shows coming and I will love some of them!

2. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, totally agree the ending (and most of the season) sucked, but...Black Twitter is absolutely killin' it today in the aftermath! Soooooo many funny posts...e.g.

GOT.png

3. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

This was the show which represented the story wrap up. Jon was always accepted by the wildlings as one of their own and had no interest in being king, something he expressed countless times on the show. Sansa always had pompous airs about her that she was royalty, so she became the queen of the isolated North alone with no siblings in Winterfell, in a dark and dreary throne room. Arya spent most of the series as a wandering soul so she decided to keep wandering to discover new land. Bran became the three eyed raven and became all knowing of historic events and their secrets, making him a great choice to make wise decisions as king of multiple kingdoms. Dani was destined to die as she had ambitions to bring freedom through continuous wars and had lost sight of any reasoning to be talked down from her ambitions. Tyrion Lannister became what he was always good at, an official confidante and earpiece for the King as the King’s Hand. Brianne became a night at the king’s table, a cog in the inner circle to bring her point of view to the king himself.

All of the episode past the death of Dani was meant to be the happily ever after part of the book. Every fantasy book series has a wrap up chapter for the where are they headed curious readers. It allows us to imagine what may be next in their lives.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I dig it.

And - “Barry” killed it (them ?) last night.

Season finale . Fantastic second season.

getbent likes this.
  5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I might dig into 'Barry' next.

getbent likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I'm now not sure whether or not to recommend you watch it. On the one hand you have 5 seasons of some of the best storytelling ever put to TV, but on the other hand, it ends in such a dumb unsatisfying way that it brings down the whole show.

A problem of the show runners who were eager to move on to other projects, and of the author who has lost himself in such a vast story that he can't seem to move it forwards (8 years since the last book...)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I wanted some nudity in the final episode. I am disappoint.

8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

Well, the dragon wasn't wearing anything and it was really, really hot. So you've got that going for you. Which is nice.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry your dragon show ended stupidly. :)

Junkyard Dog and rigid650 like this.
  10. getbent

it was a fantasy... almost none of the women cheated on their men.

kelnet and Torren61 like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

she's been stepping out on you? sorry to hear that

12. bigaust

bigaust TDPRI Member

I'd start from an ending that makes series-wide sense:

John & Dany rule together: it'd be more of a love story ending..not bad.

Dany rules alone and John dies: maybe her Targaryen starts to show and she wants to burn everything but John convinces her not to by defending her.

John rules, Dany dies: John, not wanting the throne, makes it a Republic.

I'd accept any of those.

As far as special moments..in the first or second scenario, I'd like to see Drogon try to flame John and he turns out to be Un-Burnt also.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Exactly!

backporchmusic likes this.
  14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I never watched GOT, but is it safe to say that Deadwood is now no longer the HBO show with the crappiest ending?

15. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Apparently, millions of people forgot how the books, and then the show, work: expectations are repeatedly dashed, bad people prosper, and things unfold outside of normal expectations. When the whole story begins with Bran's fall, and we're reminded periodically that he is alive, how was he not going to be essential to the ending? Unfortunately, the HBO writers did a lot of shallow misleading stuff, and steadily changed the nature of the story to the extent that people forgot Martin's quirk expectation-dashing and instead started to think that this or that character (that is, "Khaleesi") was going to come through and exemplify what they wanted. This never was that kind of story until the HBO writers got ahead of the books, changed the very nature of the story, and rushed everything on top of it. But to begin with, Martin was never a storyteller trying to fulfill his reader's wishes. Quite the opposite.

RLee77 and middy like this.
  16. getbent

deadwood has a movie out next month!

Commodore 64 likes this.
  17. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Ive enjoyed the series only started watching it 2 years ago myself. I may read the books but to be honest they're a lot longer than anything I've ever read before.

A lot of people have complained about the most of this last season, I've enjoyed it although this last episode was rushed. I think what happened in that 1hr 30mins should have been told over at least 2 episodes preferably 3 with a more complex plot. The melting of the throne wasnt something I expected but I thought it was really fitting. I think Dany should have had a bit more time in power though, doing and planning her dommination, having larger and more diverse round ups of the survivors to be executed (not just the soldiers). I think Jon should have also spoke with Arya since she and Jon had seen very similar tragedies at the fall of kings landing. Maybe after trying to talk Dany down from world domination, basically seeing him sweat a bit more and talk/sob about his dilemma. He's supposed to be blindly infatuated with the crazy ***** and he knows he has to kill her and maybe Arya wants to help because she definitely made her list in the previous episode. They're just a few ideas and theres more pointless ideas but none of it matters as I'm not a writer and it's easy for me to pick at an episode rather than write my own. Anyway most finale epipsodes are disappointing especailly in action packed series because in most circumstances for a resolution to happen the conflict and action has to stop and more than half has to be about tying up loose ends when there are so many main characters. And no one really wants an hour of dull dialogue wrap up but we need it for the ending to make sense.

What I really don't get is why the **** is jon exilled to the wall again, he killed a tyrant. Bran (king of the six kingdoms) knew it (he knows everything), Sansa (queen of the north) never liked her anyway and everyone who liked her left Westeros anyway. Was there any reason he really had to leave when his brother and sister collectively rule westeros? I still think north of the wall was where he wanted to be and he should have gone on his own will but still should have the option to visit his friends and family.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

So glad I stopped reading after book 4-ish.

Going to tv was the worst thing that could've ever happened to Game of Thrones. They came in too late.

You could see in the books that they were building up for a dead apocalypse scenario but when they went to tv, they had to cut the whole thing out, hence the rushed feel in the last few episodes.

So now it's right up there with Lost, How I met your mother lol

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Torren61 and Asmith like this.
  19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

They really needed a few more episodes. Or could have made these about 2 hours each. This was just too rushed

20. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

What the story needed was 2 more books or seasons.

Let the dead overtake the towns and have Bran earn the kingship by leading a small band of fighters (with Danaeris and John riding the dragons) to go after the night king.

OR

Let Bran become the new night king and have John, Arya, Danaeris go after him. Danaeris dies, Arya kills Bran and John becomes king.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

cyclopean and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.