I Want A Tele Now!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tubelectron, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Get the Fender is my advice. No need to upgrade anything. Classic in every way and perfect. JMO.

How many lefties do we have around here anyway? 24 Track, 8Barlouie, Musickaster. I'm losing count.

tubelectron likes this.
  2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

I see. Thanks for your opinions... ;)

In fact, I'm more or less driven by my Squier / US strat experience I described some post before - so that's why I considered the Squier models for a Tele.

But this experience is a sample on only 2 instrument, and the general situation may be different, as I read your comments.

I also would thought that Pinewood would be more resonant than Alder : is that true, I don't know and it may vary from one sample to another again.

I'll try to test different models - even in RH as simply suggested by @nicod98 - it will allow ne to judge the resonant character, at least !

I saw several opportunities on local (French Equivalent of) craiglists - So I'll check up.

Thanks again !

-tbln

Matthias likes this.
  3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Assuming one believes in the notion of “tonewood” (I happen to believe that the body and neck do play a significant part in how well the guitar sustains if nothing else), there still seems to be quite a variation even with the same wood types.

I’ve played alder bodies that were very heavy and some that were super light. I’ve also played ash bodies that seemed to resonate nicely and ash bodies that sounded comparatively dead.

So (as you appeared to have figured out), one cannot simply say that any particular type of wood is better or worse than another.

Also, as an added note, the pine body on my 2011 Squier CV 50s Tele was of average weight and resonated quite nicely...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    tubelectron and fenderchamp like this.
  4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Nice one fellow lefty!

Both the CV50 and the Player Tele are good, this is just a rehash of the MiM Telecaster with different colours. I have a CV50 and it is such a nice buy for the money imo.

But the only way to decide is go and play both if you can, thats the only way to get the right one!

telesx2_zpsoirzqcrs.JPG

tubelectron and TwangBrain like this.
  5. TwangBrain

TwangBrain TDPRI Member

I have a pine telecaster, and I've played a couple of others. I couldn't say whether one wood is more resonant than another. I can speculate that dryness and pore size will play a factor in resonance (acoustically), the thickness and quality of the finish, the hardware and electronics, as will simply playing hard and breaking a guitar in. And I can also say that my pine (tele) and my alder (stratocasters) bodied guitars are "thuddier" and perhaps seem duller and less resonant compared to the ash telecasters. However, the pine sounds livelier now after a substantial amount of playing, whereas my strats don't seem to have "opened up" nearly as much, possibly due to neglect. I dunno, so many variables and imponderables that make nearly every guitar a little different. I've played $10k-$20k vintage "holy grail" guitars that were surprisingly dull sounding (both amplified and acoustically), and I've played a korean Epiphone and multiple Squier guitars that sounded like a good stock guitar should. Either way, I would think that most of the battle with a good electric would be stability, setup, and pickups. I sympathise with you, as I'm sure it can be tedious to buy, or rather, sell yourself, on a new guitar being a lefty...but being patient, picky, and selective will pay off in the long run. Or, you can try your hand at mating parts until you've assembled the one for you. Good luck with your search.

tubelectron likes this.
  6. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I'd either go CV or get a used Baja. That fourth position might just make your funky sound even funkier.

tubelectron and Piggy Stu like this.
  7. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

I'm a lefty.
    I tried a CV Tele and and a 64 AVRI Tele at the same time.
    If I would have been blindfolded,I would have picked the CV.
    Hell,even without a blindfold,I liked everything about the CV over the AVRI,especially the price.
    I played them both through a Mesa combo and actually liked the sound of the CV.
    All three positions sounded great.
    Find a used CV at a good price and you're ready to get as funky as you want.
    You're overthinking the whole pine vs. whatever.
    Good is good.

horax and tubelectron like this.
  8. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Listened to the tune, could be Strat or Tele, heavy load of effects, and the keyboard is so "out in front" and I'm not really awake

I vote Baja, Squier or clone, in that order.

tubelectron likes this.
  9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thank you Guys !

I agree, AxemanVR : beside all this, it can be a case-by-case basis.

Thanks Lefty Addams for your LH advice ! ;)

That's true, TwangBrain - thanks for your advice too - I love the look of natural ash, but I'm afraid by the usual weight they are described to have... Also, I must mention that the neck of my 2005 Squier Std Strat is not premium in stability.

Yes, I forgot that 4-position selector option = i'll dig it. Thanks for the reminder.

Fine Lef T ! Thanks for another LH advice Tele user.;)
    I hope to have the occasion to do the same comparison too... o_O

Thanks Skydog1010 - I think that the guitar playing the choruses in Soul Junction is a 2 PU model playing in the middle position, and rather a single coil PU model... But I may be wrong... o_O

Again, thanks to all for sharing your experiences...:cool::)

-tbln

Skydog1010 likes this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

On your way home get a 60s Baja as well

bcorig, Skydog1010 and horax like this.
  11. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

That's done. :)
    Waiting for the instrument. o_O
    Helped - or driven - by a good deal on it. :rolleyes:
    Wait and See... ;)

Again, thank you Guys for your point of view and advices ! :cool:

-tbln

12. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’ve got a CV 62’ Tele Custom and 60’s Strat. The Tele is pretty light but the custom has a alder body. Actually a very good looking piece of alder the CV Strat is alder too which surprised me for Squiers. I’ve played a couple of the 50’s Teles and one of them was very light (I should have bought it). The thing that really impressed me with the CVs is the pickups, much better sounding than a MIM Standard Fender or other Squiers at least to me. I put a 4-way in my Tele Custom (I’ve got 3 pickups in it now though with a mini neck but I can’t seem to help myself from modding) and it sounded great with the 4-way switch. The neck is thin but not too thin, they play very good.
    I like MIM Standard Fenders personally but I don’t care for the stock pickups at all. You can make very good players out of the Mexico Teles but I’ve always had to swap out a few things to get them to suit me. I think they are a great base if you’re planning to mod one anyway.
    My first good guitar was a Tele and I’ve had at least one ever since, I couldn’t imagine being without a Telecaster. I’m a bit sentimental about it I guess but I learned to really play with a Tele so even when I was playing a Strat most of the time I still kept one.
    This is my CV Tele Custom
    13C87144-2C6D-4628-BF1B-C3A17C807F28.jpeg

Skydog1010 and tubelectron like this.
  13. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nice CV! I've had a few CVs from '08-'11 and they were all good to go and of good weights.

Nothing over 8. My Custom and the '08 '50s white blonde [which s exceptional and I still have it] were the only 2 over 7.5 pounds.

The '09 2 tone '50s strat was also an exceptional guitar.

If weights a big deal check out the CV thinline. ;)

tubelectron likes this.
  14. coolidge

coolidge TDPRI Member

Being right handed, I got a throbbing headache behind my right eyeball looking at those left handed Tele's.

15. Liam659

Liam659 TDPRI Member

Why did you even come back to this if you sold the guitar and you didn’t like the company? Do you like doing what you don’t like?) I understand that you will buy another guitar, but I don’t see the point, and if you don’t like the new one? Money to the wind.

16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thank you Guys for all your advices... :cool::cool::cool:

When the Telecaster will be here, I'll open a new thread... ;)

Cheers ! :)

-tbln

17. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

The CV thinline Tele is a real deal. I don’t think I’ve seen a lefty version but they that don’t mean they’re not making them. A real solid mahogany body thinline for under $400 new is a crazy good deal. I’ve played one and they sound and play great just how they come.

I was looking and they have went up since the last time I looked. They’re $450 now but that’s still great for the 69’ style thinline. They make a 70’s style ash thinline that’s still under $400.

tubelectron likes this.
  18. Leftyscott

Leftyscott TDPRI Member

Hey,
    I'd see if you can find a place where you can play both, and decide which you like better. If your finances allow it, go for the one you like and will want to play, regardless if it says Fender or Squire on the headstock.

19. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Hey Leftyscott,

That's the key problem : even if I'm near a large city, finding both in Left-Hand is Impossible Mission : I checked it. I'm not even sure that it would be expectable in RH...

-tbln

20. Max the Dog

Max the Dog NEW MEMBER!

Hi All,
    Just to chime in here a bit late... I bought a Squire in 2016, thought is was great an’ all. Have recently changed the pups for a set of SD 1/4 pounders. Now IMHO it’s spectacular. No idea what the body wood is, can’t say I’m that bothered, I just know I can’t stop playing it!
    Cheers,
    MtD.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.