I Want a Miata... I Think

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, May 1, 2018.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Can't afford a vintage Triumph or an MG.

I'm shopping used and the auto trainies seem a lot more common than the stick.

Can't imagine that automatic transmission scratching the old TR6 itch, but maybe I'm missing something?

Any suggestions /recommendations on stuff to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

drf64 and JD0x0 like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I grew up driving an Austin Healey and a Fiat 124 so I understand your thinking here. The Miata is a good alternative, but like you, I would not want an automatic. My Brother-in-law had one and it was a lot of fun to drive...even the early ones without much power. If you go to a site called "carsurvery.org" will answer all of your questions.

JayFreddy likes this.
  3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Pay more for a good example. You'll pay the "drift tax" to avoid beat up and poorly modified examples. Really need to keep an eye on the bushings and ball joints at this age for most of them. And personally I'd avoid the automatic, simply because it's a miata and supposed to be driven.

PingGuo and JayFreddy like this.
  4. Driver3

Driver3 Tele-Meister

2blue2, CharlieO, LocoTex and 2 others like this.
  5. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the same boat but we are also looking at various convertible sports cars.

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Had one, great with a stick.

99% of the fun of an old MG or Triumph, but it will always start.

Milspec, rdonahue, theduck and 9 others like this.
  7. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

You could always do a Monster Miata...

Alex W, 2blue2, CharlieO and 2 others like this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've wanted a sporty 2 seater forever but doubt it'll ever happen. The only one I'd consider with an automatic is the older Mercedes SLK series because they're a more plush ride anyway, not overly sporty.

images-1.jpeg images.jpeg

CharlieO and JayFreddy like this.
  9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Needing another hip (the left one this time) the stick is out of the question for me. Besides at 64 all I really want is to drive Route 1A at a leisurely pace around the cliffs of North Hampton and Rye and take in the smells.:D

naneek and JayFreddy like this.
  10. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

I worked at a garage that dealt in imports almost exclusively. I can say that going from pulling a triumph or fiat into the garage vs pulling a miata in, there's no comparison for comfort. I can sit in a miata and not have to pretzel myself or hunch to fit inside.

If you want a more classic vibe, consider trying to find one of the Datsun 2000 roadsters. Basically an MIJ MGB, there are even some parts that are cross compatible.

[​IMG]

11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

One of the best trips I've done was a week in the west of Scotland with my son in his 1990 Mk1 MX5. It was his retirement treat to me. He's had it around 7 years now and cost around £2000 then. He's spent about the same on some sorting and improvements to brakes and suspension, but the basic structure is very solid, it's been totally reliable and it's passed its annual roadworthiness test every year.

Nothing better in its class.

PS. Do your research before buying a Mk 2 1998 - 2005. Big problems with rust - in the engine bearers I think. It can be fixed, but not cheap.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    JayFreddy likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My bandmate James's dad was an MG/Triumph/Lotus/Leyland mechanic for nearly 45 years.

When he retired ?

He bought a Miata ! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It still remains one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Other guys in the band didn't get what was so funny as James and I were crying with laughter and I'm going "You know - cuz when he goes out to start it every morning - it starts ? And when he goes anywhere - he can just drive back - in the Miata ?"

Good luck - those are fun.

drf64, GGardner, LocoTex and 2 others like this.
  13. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Pontiac/Saturn made a two seater as well, might be worth looking into; they hide a high performance version as an option.

jvin248 and rz350 like this.
  14. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I had an MGB in the eighties. I think I spent nearly as much time pushing it as driving it.

I want a Miata bad! The same vibe, but with the assurance you'll very likely make it home without being towed.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

All my life I wanted a two seater English sports....finally in '76 or '77 I got a '72 MG Midget. Incredible fun, at first....first year or so, I had the top down nearly ALL the time, regardless of weather. Next two years, top was down only when weather was nice. Last year, top was almost NEVER down. It was new enough, I was very lucky and didn't have many mechanical issues, at least not like I've heard other folks have. Did have to become something of a contortionist to get in and out, and I was a scrawny guy back then. But I'm glad I can say, "been there/done that".....AND I've still got the T-shirt...literally.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  16. Driver3

Driver3 Tele-Meister

I had a 68 SRL-311(Datsun 2000).
    Pretty darn fast for the time.
    Also had a 63 Sprite. The MX-5 dwarfs a Sprite.
    The last thing I'd own is a used German sports car.
    A MX-5 is cheap to maintain compared to one of the German cars.

LocoTex likes this.
  17. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Mazda hit a home run with the Miata. They filled a niche that sorely needed filling with a reliable product. Thank God for Mazda!

Fun and dependable is a great match!

18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Back in 67 my then bassplayers' (though neither of us owned a guitar until the early 70's) dad won a kit version of the Lotus Elan in The Grocer magazine. Before becoming a mobile greengrocer (remember them?) he had been a mechanical engineer at Vickers. Every year in September he stripped the Elan down and re-assembled it before putting it to bed for the winter in his barn. Each March he would service it again and put it back on the road. When he died in the late 80's it had done less than 50k dry miles, was still running beautifully and had never let him down. How many of us would be prepared to put the effort (or money in). Classic british sportscars are wonderful, but they are demanding.

Several of my friends have had MX-5s and Honda S2000s. lots of fun with very little in the way of maintenance, and generally trouble free, and the Mazda is inexpensive to buy a good example.

Driver3 likes this.
  19. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I loved my Miata. It was my wife's but I ended up with it int the divorce because I drove it more. Great car, super reliable, great handling, even good gas mileage. I wish I never got rid of it it. My 320sl was stolen and now I'm thinking of getting another Miata. Just a fun great car for driving around town.

20. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

My late parents lived near Norwich and one of their neighbours worked at the Lotus HQ in Wymondham. Staff were able to buy Elises and the like at good discounts, but not many took up the option. However, the number of MX5’s in the car park there was quite surprising...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.