I want a lightweight giggable bass combo. Choices?

Which amp should I get?

• Ashdown Studio 115 (300 watts)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Ampeg RB115 Rocket (200 watts)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Galien Kruger MB115 (200 watts)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Fender Rumble 200 (200 watts)

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Something else (explain below)

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
This kinda breaks the rule you put in but here goes:

AbyQP6mMKHyGPrdqPEnnJa-1200-80.jpg

The Trace Elliot ELF (200W @ 4Ω).
Floorboard optional, look at the amp and the cab!

So, yeah... this is not a combo(as per definition). This is a head and a cab.
However, I hope it can still get a pass since the head is small enough to fit into the side pocket
of any cargo pants. Look at the cab there... there's an indent made for that head so it doesn't scoot around on top.
I haven't tried this system but I've been considering it for some time.

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
Another vote for MarkBass - they "invented" the whole lightweight/compact bass amp genre...
Bass player in my band uses a 1x12" MarkBass combo, sounds great, has been going strong for hundreds of gigs, perfect tool.

BTW, I have a Trace Elliott Elf myself, also a good choice - but a friend of mine got one, because he liked mine, and the one he got has some kind of noise, he had to send it back (mine is perfect).

In direct comparison, the MarkBass is more versatile, can do pretty much any style of music, whereas the Elf has more of a basic "rock tone", plenty of mids...

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
When I was a gigging bassist I would use an Ampeg Micro VR with one 212 cabinet for most gigs (150 watts), and two cabinets for larger gigs (200 watts). It had plenty of power, sounded great, and most importantly fit comfortably in a Miata.
Did you have the 2x10" as well?

Oh Hey!! Cast my vote hit the Ampeg Rocket Bass 115. Got one of the first ones over the summer. Sounds great, looks great (retro mojo in spades) :cool:
View attachment 945252
Light at 35 pounds-loud on its own, aaaand with another cab- you would be set.

I also like my Rumble 40, but a bit of light SGT on the Ampeg sounds great. The Rumble OD I find myself using only when I plug my guitars into the R40!
How is that Ampeg 2x10" in terms of sound?

runstendt

Tele-Meister

I definitely meant the 2x10" cabinets. Thanks for pointing that out. The only way I can describe my rig is that it sounded like an Ampeg. I got the SVT sound at a lower volume and at a much smaller footprint. Plus, the head has a built-in DI, which made recording and connecting to a PA system much easier.

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
Give the Traynor SB112 a day in court...25 lbs

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Hey people,

My existing rig is an '82 Bassman 135 head, an SWR 2 x 10" and a Peavey 1 x 15". It looks like a monstrosity from the garage in the '80s. All of it probably weighs a couple hundred pounds too, so I've gotten to the point that I never move it anymore because of the ridiculous weight and bulk. So I've been thinking of selling it all and getting a smaller, lighter combo that has the neo speaker(s) so I can start getting out with my bass again and jamming at band volumes.

Here are my requirements:

Combo, 200 watts minimum, preferably 1 x 15" speaker, lightweight (under 50 lbs), reliable, and of course, it needs to sound good. My bass "tone" that I strive for is 100% classic P-bass with deep low end thump and rumble - no jazz, no popping, not much high end. Price range $400 - $800.

So what would you get? I've been looking at four combos as possibilities. I already have a new model Rumble 40 and like it a lot, so one of my choices is the 200 watt version. I am leaning toward the Ampeg, just because…This kinda breaks the rule you put in but here goes:
AbyQP6mMKHyGPrdqPEnnJa-1200-80.jpg

The Trace Elliot ELF (200W @ 4Ω).
Floorboard optional, look at the amp and the cab!

So, yeah... this is not a combo(as per definition). This is a head and a cab.
However, I hope it can still get a pass since the head is small enough to fit into the side pocket
of any cargo pants. Look at the cab there... there's an indent made for that head so it doesn't scoot around on top.
I haven't tried this system but I've been considering it for some time.
Those intrigue me as well…that preamp pedal looks like what’s needed to dial in that Elf..

It’s OK….That’s why I got the RB115. I already had a 210 100W cab from the micro CL. it’s from the LOUD tech/St Louis Ampeg period, so pre-Yamaha…suits me though- don’t gig regularly, so it does fine! 😉
Give the Traynor SB112 a day in court...25 lbs
I’d like to give Traynor a spin as well!! Great Bass reputation, solid as tanks, and tremendous value as well.

Don’t see many down here in Southwest.
Back in Northern Vermont I could just go to. Montreal…:cool:🚙

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Not a 15”, but it doesn’t need to be- Check out the Markbass 1x12 combo. Used, you can find one in your budget range. They’re out of this world, tiny, and weigh next to nothing. It’ll be the next bass amp I buy.

Bass amp tech has come a LONG way. You really don’t need a 15” anymore to get the sounds they used to be required for.