I want a lightweight giggable bass combo. Choices?

Which amp should I get?

• Ashdown Studio 115 (300 watts)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Ampeg RB115 Rocket (200 watts)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Galien Kruger MB115 (200 watts)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Fender Rumble 200 (200 watts)

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Something else (explain below)

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey people,

My existing rig is an '82 Bassman 135 head, an SWR 2 x 10" and a Peavey 1 x 15". It looks like a monstrosity from the garage in the '80s. All of it probably weighs a couple hundred pounds too, so I've gotten to the point that I never move it anymore because of the ridiculous weight and bulk. So I've been thinking of selling it all and getting a smaller, lighter combo that has the neo speaker(s) so I can start getting out with my bass again and jamming at band volumes.

Here are my requirements:

Combo, 200 watts minimum, preferably 1 x 15" speaker, lightweight (under 50 lbs), reliable, and of course, it needs to sound good. My bass "tone" that I strive for is 100% classic P-bass with deep low end thump and rumble - no jazz, no popping, not much high end. Price range $400 - $800.

So what would you get? I've been looking at four combos as possibilities. I already have a new model Rumble 40 and like it a lot, so one of my choices is the 200 watt version. I am leaning toward the Ampeg, just because it's Ampeg.

Thanks

My current rig:

CkV3EaJ.jpg

Last edited:

erratick

Tele-Holic
I have an ampeg BA210 combo. There is a 15 inch version. But the 2x10 is less than 45 lbs and loud enough for most things. They are a bargain used- even with the crazy prices right now. They're sometimes on reverb and talk bass for 300 or less in the US.

Does it sound like an SVT? No. But does it sound good? Yes.

The 200W rumble is also good. I don't see them used as often. But also portable. Can't go wrong with either.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don't know the model ( I'm not a bass player) but my bass duo partner is using a
new, lightweight Peavey Combo amp with 2×10" vertical speakers. The amp top has rounded corners/sides. Looks sharp- not too big/heavy.
Sounds good to me, plenty of power

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I’d pick the Ampeg over the Rumble at that price point. Rumbles have gotten too muddy in a band mix for me, and I like my PF350 head enough I’d gamble on an RB.

GK MB combos are fabulous. I’d pick the 210. It’s a beast, and takes an unpowered extension (VS the proprietary powered extension needed on all the other MB series amps.)

And take a look at Markbass (if you can swallow the price tag!) I have the 12”, and our local blues jam is back lined with the 210. They kinda blow the others here outta the water. I own the extension, but find I rarely even need it.

(Edit for clarity)

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My ex bass player has an Ashdown and a newer 200 W Ampeg combo (BA210?) . Neither are much good. They rattle, even at rehearsal. He has the habit of cranking the bass to max though on everything. Cheap speakers I suspect. You need wattage for good bass. SS wattage ain't Tube wattage. So get 350-400 watts minimum.

If I were you I would get a quality small bass cab. Some great bass cabs are more than "just a box" and amazing.
Mini Cabinets: Mesa, MarkBass, Quilter?
Then get a powerful mini head. Some are tiny but powerful. Quilter? Hartke 500, MarkBass, etc

Last edited:

tomasz

Tele-Holic
You could also look at a small head, like the MarkBass or EBS Reidmar series and a lightweight 1x12 or 1x15 neodymium speaker cab. I used a Reidmar 250 + 1x12 Neo with good results

runstendt

Tele-Meister
When I was a gigging bassist I would use an Ampeg Micro VR with one 212 cabinet for most gigs (150 watts), and two cabinets for larger gigs (200 watts). It had plenty of power, sounded great, and most importantly fit comfortably in a Miata.

stonge

TDPRI Member
I'm very happy with a Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 head (6 lbs, fits in my backpack) and a Markbass New York 151 (37 lbs with 1-15" and a tweeter). Load in/out is easy with the backpack of head/cables/misc, the 151 in one hand and the double gig bag with a pair of P-basses (which feels heavier than the cab lol). The Little Mark looks dinky perched on top of my SVT 810 cab in Madison Square basement, but my Stingray 5 almost took out the china cabinet upstairs during a slightly boisterous practice lol. The tube channel gets a nice grind going with my Hamer 12 string bass - I left a GK 2-10 cab in the other jam room which worked well with any bass I use.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Oh Hey!! Cast my vote hit the Ampeg Rocket Bass 115. Got one of the first ones over the summer. Sounds great, looks great (retro mojo in spades) :cool:
6FDBBC70-DF9D-4C91-9A48-E8C637D28CD0.jpeg

Light at 35 pounds-loud on its own, aaaand with another cab- you would be set.

I also like my Rumble 40, but a bit of light SGT on the Ampeg sounds great. The Rumble OD I find myself using only when I plug my guitars into the R40!