I want a beater Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ricardo1912, Nov 18, 2019.

1. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I thought one of the appeals of a telecaster is that they're virtually indestructible? Go ahead and take any tele you want. With acoustic guitars it pays to be a little more cautious because they aren't quite as durable, but you can use a tele to fight off a hoard of marauders and not even have to retune for the next song.

2. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I’d find a used CV 50 with the maple neck. I’ve 4 Teles, MIM Fender La Cabronita, Squier CVC, and 2 Squier STDs. I play all 4 in a rotation, the CVC neck is a bit thinner than the others but it plays and sounds beautiful. The Cabby has wonderful neck that I’ll stack up against the STDs though the Cabby is just a bit nicer to play.
    I believe Thoman was blowing out Cabbies for dirt cheap and they play well. There are issues with bridge, string, and pickup alinement. These were Squiers with maple necks. Find on and play it.
    Enjoy the ride.

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

who the hell said that? i don't buy it...

BUT... squier makes some killer guitars that'll do the job nicely. those SX are great too. honestly... there's not many guitars out there that are really awful anymore

4. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Harley Benton. I've got two (TE-52 and TE-80 Prince style) and I love both enough that I am sure I will definitely get another sooner or later...

650thunderbird likes this.
  5. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

The Modern Player Plus line is pretty cheap, the have an HSS solid body and a thin line with P90’s

6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Some people consider the Baja a cheap but playable Tele...

I would take the Baja anywhere. I wouldn't be afraid, is not going to break, mate. A Tele is the hardest guitar ever

HTSMetal likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been eyeing those. How thick are they?

Pic?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Just take the Baja. It's a Telecaster; anything that happens to it can be fixed. And what they hell did you get it for anyhow?

kinkstah, Larmo63 and HTSMetal like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

40mm to 42mm thick so around 1.6 inches. I'm not sure they really are sycamore as listed but whatever the wood is it's smooth and silky to touch and requires very little grain filling. Should make for a really nice lightweight tele once a thin finish is applied. The one I got is 3 piece with a larger centre piece and 2 roughly equal sides.

The body was not blotchy looking like this when it arrived. I just applied a few coats of tru oil on it today and did a quick sloppy stain on it last week in prep for painting fiesta red nitro. I'm painting thin and don't want to see pale wood when the fiesta wears through and i'm also grain filling with the tru oil rather than buy primer. I braced the neck pickup cavity for added strength because that piece between cavity and neck pocket had a small amount of flex when pushed on. Just to be safe I put a patch on before I paint. A Allparts neck and fender vintage bridge and pickguard have all been test fitted and they lined up well.

20191119_181028.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    preactor, bender66 and 650thunderbird like this.
  10. Linto

Linto TDPRI Member

I'd look for a used Revelation Tele/Jazz/Strat copy, cheap and after a set up surprisingly good, I'm in Bromley, ex Medway, lack of decent guitar shops is shocking. Try Tune Inn in Hither Green for the occasional bargain.

11. Linto

Linto TDPRI Member

12. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Best, (or worse), thing to do is go out and drop a stupid amount of cash on a custom shop tele. Then you have the luxury of an American Special or Standard being your beater.

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

You'll just end up upgrading it. Get a Squier CV. If not, look for a Squier Bullet or Affinity. I got a Hadean with binding from Rondo one time for less than $100. It looked and played beautiful.

14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

If you want to keep it traditional then get a Squier or used MIM. For my money a used Schecter PT is the way to go. Or a used Hoyer Lady(black or white). I own and dearly love my PT and while I don’t own a Hoyer Lady(tele) I do own an Eagle Deluxe and have owned an Arrow. Incredibly under valued in my opinion! I had an SX Tele from about 7-8 years ago and had a tech install BL Keystones(great, cheap and American made!),tuners and a complete setup. Whole thing ran me about $265 and ready to run. Paint was great. Bridge was fine. Neck was a shredder with the fret ends. I also sanded the gloss off the back of the neck. Silky smooth. Hopefully the build quality has improved but still a cheap decent tele.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  15. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

My last Tele build was a jam night guitar. Actually, the only thing that makes it a jam night guitar, for me, is the active EMG pups. I went active to compensate for the possibility of ending up playing through an inadequate amp from the host band. It seems to be working out okay.

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

My first thought was "All Tele's are beaters. That's part of what makes them great."
    They are indestructible, play great , sound great. The perfect beater.
    I wouldn't feel great about a Les Paul on a crowded open mic stage, but a Tele? It's fine!

18. HTSMetal

HTSMetal TDPRI Member

Take the Baja; add to its mojo, add to its story!

19. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

My son had an SX. It was a great little guitar. His guitar teacher, at the time, bought it from him because he liked it so much. This was about 5 years ago and that guitar is still being used at the music school where my son is now an instructor.

Dep

20. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

" Squier".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.