1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I want a beater Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ricardo1912, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I'm after a fairly cheap but playable Tele, partly because I've started helping at a couple of open mic nights and don't fancy taking my fave Baja. So something that won't break the bank but i will still enjoy. I'm tempted by this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254349871287

SX also do what they call a TL+ in a dubious blonde but apart from a slight cost increase i cant see any difference. Does anyone have any experience of these or any other makes that are worth a look?

My first thought was a Squier. The standards are nice but i really prefer maple fretboards and the Affinities etc. have skinny necks.

There is also a SX Les Paul Junior but from experience most things with LP in the name weigh a bit.

All suggestions gratefully received as there aren't any music shops locally to try stuff.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could throw a cheap kit guitar together and give it a cool aerosol spray job or just buy a nice neck and make a pine body for it and throw in one bridge pickup?

Other than that i'd check the local classified adds and garage sales and go play whatever takes your fancy to see what it plays like.

I bought a killer featherweight tele body for $40 bucks delivered a couple weeks ago.
    Forking out for a unfinished Allparts neck and pickups, a $30 buck wired control plate with knobs, alpha pots, orange drop. $20 buck kluson nickel style tuners makes for a great low cost tele comparable with high end stuff.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Used G&L tribute? Michael Kelly?

Festofish and Dismalhead like this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Just checked the exchange rate. It's $1.30 per pound today making that a $175 guitar.

Then I checked Rondo Music, the U.S. home of (Chinese made) SX guitars. Used to be home of the hundred dollar Tele but not anymore. They're right around $175 a pop. So: No one is getting rich selling these unless they sell a lot of them.

They're pretty good cheap guitars.

Your European market SX comes with the headstock design frowned upon by U.S. Customs.

bender66 likes this.
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Don't know about you but I spend enough on a project guitars I could have bought a few nice ones to begin with. I end up with enough bodies and necks for three or four guitars before I find a neck that exactly fits. Sure I can roll my own pine body. Then the neck pocket will be perfect.

"The easy way is hard enough."

stevemc and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The muslady sycamore bodies on ebay are fantastic value at $40 bucks delivered.
    .940 kg and the routes are good.

jman72, 650thunderbird and bender66 like this.
  7. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

jhundt likes this.
  8. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

If you are going to perform onstage, even at an open mic type gig, take a good guitar.

Don't be seen with a Squire onstage.

9. TampaMan

TampaMan Tele-Meister

Loaded Goat and Toast like this.
  10. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

There are some very decent guitars under the Squier brand these days. Who gives a damn what name is on the headstock anyway, it's the playing that counts.

11. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Squier Teles are inconsistent in neck carves. Some are too skinny and some nice and chunky and they are never marked -- you need to look at the sides of the fretboard and see if they cut the carve from the front edge of the fretboard or start behind the glue line. I've gotten to the point that I don't mess with Squiers, even though Indonesian-made are as good as the end of the Korean and Japanese production runs and Indonesia is more recently starting out -- Fender just makes and does not have them mark what the necks are. Maybe Fender can stamp something on the back of the headstock "S" for skinny and "K" for chunky or something. Neck feel is the number one key item for player's concerns. Saying it's C or D often does not mean anything.

I'd suggest looking at the Thoman Harley Benton models. Because they go direct to the factory, they pulled the usual distributor profit/costs out and they upgraded parts plus cut the price.
    There is a paisley Tele that is quite nice looking, I think the model is a TE-70. Throw a 4-way switch in it and your favorite setup guy and you'll have a great player.

13. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Do you want a cheap beater because other people will be playing it?

14. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Current Squiers are excellent quality. It has been said than Vibe classic necks are the same as those being used on Fenders.
    If it is a beater, who cares what it says? Nobody in the audience knows or even cares.

That being said, for a beater go to a pawn shop and get a Squier Affinity Tele for $100 bucks.

15. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

Interesting comparison of Squier Teles here:

The Bullet seems to come out ahead of the more expensive Affinity.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm confused....Kent, a town with one and a half MILLION population, doesn't have a music store? I'm amazed.
    Anything you buy online, especially cheap, will be what we call a "pig in a poke"......meaning of unknown quality and feel. If you buy from a reputable dealer, with good return policies, there's less risk.
    Personally, I'd go with something like a Squier CV.....decent quality, and has some resale value if you don't like it. While I'm not going to take a 1951 Blackguard to a raucous jam night, I'll take a good guitar that I'm comfortable playing. Good luck.

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

If you are going to perform, just take any guitar you want to, and play. Don't listen to this nonsense. The name on the guitar means nothing.

Loaded Goat, kinkstah, rand z and 4 others like this.
  18. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Everybody on this site acts like it really matters, and they can never possibly play an IMPORTANT performance on anything less than a certan, special guitar.

It is just BS. These guys buy expensive guitars because they have disposable income, and they are slaves to brand-names.

Any guitar player with any kind of sense could play any gig on any half-way decent guitar.

The guitar ain't making the music.

Loaded Goat, Mad Kiwi, dannyh and 7 others like this.
  19. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a cvc neck, gfs Palo. body, a vintage bridge and pickup combo/ pots etc. from fleabay, ended up with a fun guitar to play. I can do anything to it...doesn't bother me. And its pretty light at 6 lbs. so its easy to play for hours on end.

20. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I've tried to buy a beater tele four times. Three were squires, and they are such a pleasure to play that I don't consider them beaters. The fourth was from guitar fetish and it was so uncomfortable that I gave it away. Maybe I just like teles too much to consider them beaters. I have a first act VW guitar. I treat that one like a beater, although it's decent to play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.