I want a beater life

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleTucson, Nov 21, 2019.

1. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Redneck trailer house trash here & not a care in the world … its attitude .

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

th7YPVX6C6.jpg

Mike Eskimo, Churchjack and tery like this.
  3. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sounds like you want to be Keith Richards

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

You wouldn’t be any happier.

But you know that.

Matt G likes this.
  5. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 TDPRI Member

This is exactly what I am going through right now. I'll be 55 in December. I have a decent chunk of change put away, but can't touch it without penalty until 59 1/2. Sick and tired of work. Mostly dealing with disgruntled customers and (sorry) inept sales reps. I have been fighting a cold for 3 weeks, so that has definitely impacted my mood. I live in California and can't believe the real estate prices in other parts of the country. Specifically the South. I could probably sell here and move to Mississippi and have a house paid for. Sounds like first world problems, huh? Of course, but that doesn't salve the feeling of just being sick and tired of being sick and tired. No advice to offer here, just that I am in agreement with the OP but haven't found quite the way to get to that "beater" level.

Matt G, TeleTucson and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tried a beater life for a while, no worries and every risk worth taking.
    Ended up hooked on dope pawning all my guitars.
    My guess is that beater lives are short, and IME they are hard to get out of when you change your mind.
    Being in 12 step meetings I've known and seen many many beater lives, and they are not pretty.

A second body to take the risks?
    That would be cool but according to Sci Fi you HAVE TO take it with you, and when they die you die!

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I’m glad you came out on the other side, intact.

As for a beater life, there’s a song “I Ain’t Living Long Like This.”

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My sense of the reality of your off the grid subsistence lifestyle is that you must be even more careful with your shall we say investments, because if you run out of firewood in a cold snap after a snowstorm you can’t just call your credit card company and get a refund on your poor autumn purchases!
    The responsibilities of going up against nature may be unsullied by corporate meddling but they are huuuuge none the less.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My youngest son lives the life you describe even to the 4,000 sq. ft. home. He looks pretty happy to me. He graduated, went to work immediately in a high tech job, and things got progressively better as he went on. He's now a licensed professional engineer. Beater life? Not for this old boy, I've had beater life, I much prefer the easy does it mode of travel.

10. Toto'sDad

I think the real problem with beater life, is the beating you take to get the relic job. I've had that too, I don't recommend it. Just imagine a guy with a Billy club in his hand, he's muscular, fit as a fiddle, and he's in charge of your relic job. Only problem is, HE decides on how much relicing you require to make sure you enjoy a beater life.

11. Toto'sDad

My sis and bro in law who were out here in Cali this summer went home to Arkansas sold their home in Conway and bought another place in a little out of the way town in a WEEK! They got three wooded acres, and a fairly new 2000 sq. ft. Modular home, (not a trailer house) and three acres for under a hundred thousand bucks. Man, I've worried that around in my head now for a couple of weeks.

12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

A beater lifestyle is rewarding .

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Plot Idea #1: You have a clone living your beater life. He finds out about you and tries to kill you and take over your life.
    Plot Idea #2: You accidentally discover *you* are living the beater life.
    Plot Idea #3: You have a clone living your beater life. You discover his is the better life. Hmm... what next?

TeleTucson likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There are a lot of good posts here. I plan to reorient my life on June 30 next year. I can’t complain about my life so far, travel, family, fast cars, guitars. I just can’t wait to leave the claustrophobia of a corporate existence.

I’m not a believer in a do-over button. You can’t go back in time. I’ve posted here about why that’s impossible in a probabilistic quantized universe before. I’m a strong believer in infinite second chances. When I retire, I plan to go back to college and learn music right. Theory, composition, and all. I’ll audit an astrophysics course to fill in the gaps. I can think of a few countries I’ve missed that may be worth a visit. I’m not interested in a do-over but I’ll take advantage of as many second chances as life allows.

Matt G and TeleTucson like this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well...you don't necessarily abuse a "beater". You care for it, but are relaxed with it because, for whatever reason, the stakes are lowered.
    IME, most people could move their lives MUCH closer to this, but you have to be really awake; and it helps to have a partner who is on board.
    You know that real satisfaction you get from a beater...because it's simpler, cheaper, etc. yet still delivers the goods?
    You can set your life up more like that.
    Totally achievable goal.
    Usually, the main stumbling block is the real desire to do it.
    It can be hard to change lanes in heavy traffic.

Matt G, RiversQC and TeleTucson like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My best suggestion to people is, be shallow.

Make your guitars and gear look like they've been to hades and back several times, even if they haven't.

And your lifestyle should be simple on the surface but filled with safety routes. Sleep without AC but not on a park bench. Don't bother to get your hair cut but make sure you eat properly and get enough rest. Do just enough of your own yard chores to scare off the slick guys who want $$$$ to do it for you, but not so effortlessly that your neighbors beg you to do theirs for them.

Mostly, if you don't need an I-Phone for work, why in the world have you got one?

Beater Life versus being the CEO? Well, I don't think it is a binary choice. There's a sort of continuum and you can drive a nail into a spot and just park yourself there. In between.

tery likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

IMG_2846.JPG
    Yup, when the micro hydro plant, the gravity fed spring water or harsh winter firewood needs are lacking, I am the only one that can respond. Perhaps the most satisfying events for me.:):lol:

18. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Your satisfaction with a beater life will likely depend on the lube you use.

39martind18 likes this.
  19. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

I forget where I heard/read it, but the saying that if one does for a living what one loves doing, that one never works a day in his life, is so true. If a "beater life" is defined as this, then as the song says, "Just give me the beat, boys, and free my soul...." 20+ years as a full time musician, then 20+ years as an educator, retired, and back to music for income enhancement, married to the same glorious lady for 41+ years, health stable, and reasonably sane, thanks be to the One!

20. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 TDPRI Member

This is great. However, when you are a middle aged grumpy old man, and reflect on your life, I would believe for SOME of us that the way we were raised precluded us from going after our dreams. This is not to say that I blame anyone but myself for any angst or demons I have. I have a mind and will of my own, but never looked for what I wanted to do. I followed the path of least resistance. I now find myself in a somewhat enviable position that I COULD "drop out" in my own way. But even now I hesitate. I will say that I/we raised my/our son in a very hand's off manner. He has struggled. I let him struggle. It was some of the most difficult times in my life watching my son struggle. But now, he has emerged on the other side, doing what he wants and loves... Some advice has to be given even if the giver cannot claim success at their advice themselves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.