1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I want a 72 Tele deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HBamps, Sep 29, 2011.

1. HBamps

HBamps Tele-Meister

i am looking to build a 72 deluxe tele style as my next project (dual humbuckers, 4 knobs, switch on horn, solid body). Just like this but with a tele neck I already have.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0137702306

So I am looking to source a body for it. I am wondering if I should go the USACG route and get exactly what I want or find a used 72 RI and build from there. I have found some 72 MIM RI's on ebay and CL for about the same as it would cost to get this cutom body made and painted ($500). it is tough for me to justify the cost for the body.

If I were to go the RI route, I am curious about a few things;
    1) Neck heel. I have a tele neck i want to use. Do the RI's have a strat neck heel (rounded)? Will my tele neck fit in the RI neck pocket? Also wondering about the 3 bolt joint, but I think I could drill that out without much issue.

2) I plan to use regular humbuckers. Will this work with the RI? assuming I get a new pickguard. Not sure if the pup routes are deep enough.

Would appreciate and input from those with some experience on these guitars.
    Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.