I want a 3x10 tweed Bandmaster... anyone have opinions?

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
Speaker choice is important. Most of the newer Eminence patriot/redcoat series 10" speakers are @ 100dB, while P10Rs are around 95dB...the Eminence speakers will be considerably louder, but may have a different tone.

noname_dragon

Tele-Holic
5F6A Bassman sounds like the ticket... altho nearly heavy as a Super Reverb and just as awkward, but I'm all about the tone. I'll start hunting around for a nice replica. My band plays mostly outdoor shows in the summers here, often in wide open spaces where smaller amps are like spitting at the moon if you aren't standing right next to them up on a stand. I have BF Fenders but I'm looking to get into a more tweedy mid sound.
Thanks for all of the advice and experience. Happy New Year!

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
Posters/members who are much more experienced than I have put out much good information on this thread.

I owned a Victoria Bandmaster 3x10 in lacquered tweed. It was quite a while ago. I played country tele straight without pedals or any kid of effects. It remains the amp that produced the best tone I have ever had. Period. I say if you want one, go get one and experience it. It’s the only amp I’ve ever had that I truly regret selling. I was not experienced enough to know any better, I guess.

Since then, I have played trad sounding amps by David Allen which really fill the bill for anything I need to do. But, I would totally support anyone’s decision to get a Victoria Bandmaster 3X10. It’s just a fantastic amp IMHO.

Good luck with your vision in attaining what you would like to have.

Alex W

Friend of Leo's
I have a reproduction of a Fender tweed Bandmaster. It's plenty loud, comparable to a tweed Bassman.

The one I own is a one-off that I purchased used. If I were looking for a new amp today I would look at the Victoria 35310, but they're not the only fish in the sea. Dr.. Z sells a Joe Walsh signature "Z Master" that's a 3x10 design clearly related to -- although not identical to -- the tweed Bandmaster.

https://www.victoriaamplifier.com/amplifiers/tweed-amplifiers/victoria-35310/

https://drzamps.com/product/z-master/

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
5F6A Bassman sounds like the ticket... altho nearly heavy as a Super Reverb and just as awkward, but I'm all about the tone. I'll start hunting around for a nice replica. My band plays mostly outdoor shows in the summers here, often in wide open spaces where smaller amps are like spitting at the moon if you aren't standing right next to them up on a stand. I have BF Fenders but I'm looking to get into a more tweedy mid sound.
Thanks for all of the advice and experience. Happy New Year!
The Clark amplification amps are fantastic.

Tele295

Poster Extraordinaire
I loved my old 5E7, but something went wrong and now it needs to go to the doctor. I suspect that the speakers may have been wired wrong (not by me) and it blew a transformer. Well, all it takes is time and money…. B02D1AED-B5CD-4329-9E08-A7E66617CAF2.jpeg

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
there is always the high powered tweed twin or bassman BUT I would probably get a 5e3 for home playing and then just blast the twin reverb at large outdoor country gigs

gabasa

Tele-Holic
When I saw Julian Lage (on YouTube) play beautiful jazz guitar in his famous LA performance using a vintage Tele through a vintage tweed Champ, I applauded how he just uses what he likes and doesn't conform to any preconceived rules about which gear works for which type of music.

A Champ for his style of guitar playing? No way, yet it worked so beautifully!

There's always conventional wisdom, but you can deviate to get your own version of guitar nirvana on stage with your band. The Bandmaster may give you exactly what you want and the extra grit may come across as harmonic content that's on the richer side of clean.

Still, I'd pick the Bassman. How well it can fill a moderately-sized bar with gorgeous guitar tones always puts me in complete awe.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I've used my Victoria 35310, Bandmaster with 3 10s. I liked it and it seemed loud enough. I used a zendrive, and, at home, I absolutely required a delay in carpeted areas.

For my blues improv recordings, I'll do a few with this amp, but with a Bad Cat attenuator/booster. Pedals as desired.