I want a 3x10 tweed Bandmaster... anyone have opinions?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I think it weighs in at 28 Watts. IIRC they get thick when cranked, like a Super or Pro of the same era, so it's a matter of how much clean headroom you need. If you're not a loud band, it will probably do the job if you insist on a Bandmaster, but a Bandmaster circuit is midrangey and it's cleans are warm cleans.

However... if you're after a clean tone and use pedals, why not get an amp that's clean from quiet to loud? Any black panel Fender of appropriate wattage will deliver what you say you need. If you're going to gig it, get the right amp instead of an amp you want.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Listen to "Who's Next" - that's a 5E7 Bandmaster, 3/10's @ 26 Watts along
with a Gretsch 6120 Nashville.

Pete may have used a Dallas Range Master on the LOUDER passages.

To hear an outstanding example listen to
Brett Kingman's review of a 5E7 and a
Range Master (the last minute) and.
You'll never look back.
Truly The Tone Of The Gods.
Forever You will feel the need for Tweed.

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
Are you specifically looking for the Fender reissue? I can tell you that the sound of that particular amp is very much determined by the P10R-F speakers Fender used. They sound good and quite mellow for a 10" Jensen type alnico speaker, but they are not loud at all, and therefore the amp is not. I find that the amp does not have much clean headroom. A world of difference with amps that have more efficient speakers. That circuit also does not have the typical Fender mid dip that the 5F6a Bassman has.. It gets the scooped sound from its speakers. Also the stock cathodyne PI distorts very early (which can be fixed if you want to). Many clones borrow the large and heavy 5f6a Bassman cabinet.

Last edited:

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm mostly a clean country player and use pedals.
Will it be loud and clean enough for band gigs?

What makes you want one? Have you played one? Have you played a 5F6A? What amps have you been using, and what do those amps do or don’t do that makes you go looking for something different?
The 5E7, of which I have owned two ‘59s at the same time, is my favorite tweed Fender. I have owned a fair number of tweeds….5F6A be8ng one of them.
If you are looking for a tight, punchy tweed amp that holds together at higher volume, then the Bassman is what You want. The 5E7 has less headroom prior to overdrive, and it sings eagerly due to the smaller output transformer.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
I was playing a 40w SFBMR through a single twelve, and it was enough. So I reckon three 10s would be more than enough.

I'd like to make a combo of this amp with a 12 and a 10 -- a modded Vibrolux Reverb -- but would like to find a good tech to service it first.

BMR's make me happy.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was playing a 40w SFBMR through a single twelve, and it was enough. So I reckon three 10s would be more than enough.

I'd like to make a combo of this amp with a 12 and a 10 -- a modded Vibrolux Reverb -- but would like to find a good tech to service it first.

BMR's make me happy.

A 5E7 Bandmaster is a different animal than a BF/SF Bandmaster/Bandmaster Reverb, ime. And….I wish I were closer.

gabasa

Tele-Holic
The tweed Bandmaster is great if you're looking for vintage, midrangey-tweed Fender sounds at higher volumes than a 5E3. However, given the choice for a larger tweed Fender circuit, personally I'd prefer the 5F6A.

Fwiw, I've tried both, but never compared side-by-side. However, I did simultaneously own a Clark Tyger as well as a Clark Piedmont, both of the exact same era and build quality as one another, and preferred the Piedmont by a longshot. I guess that YMMV.

Victoria uses awesome transformers, built by Lenco that you can't get elsewhere, and I tip my hat to them for going the extra mile in this regard. I agree with @Matt Sarad that the 45410 might be a great choice.

0utputXfmr

Tele-Meister
I'm mostly a clean country player and use pedals.
Will it be loud and clean enough for band gigs?

Might not be loud enough on its' own for an Arena or outdoor stage gig-- but those usually have decent PA support anyway, at least nowadays.

Should be fine for bars, clubs, or anything up to (and including) the size of a local theater, by my estimation.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Choosing speaker sensitivity has almost direct effect to volume. Speaker power rating and magnet type has significant effect to compression which effect louder end of the volume.

Low power rating Alnicos are quietest because of low sensitivity and compression which happen low power!

High power Ceramics are loudest because of higher sensitivity and less compression!

Neodyms and high power Alnicos come somewhere in between previous two?

gpw5150

Tele-Meister
Yes, it will be loud enough for gigs.

for a cheaper, more bang for buck look for a Fender 5e5a pro - a bandmaster with a 15” speaker essentially. Gives a bit more of a bassy sound imho.

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
All of the E series tweeds are headroom challenged in a live situation (been there, done that for 40 yrs). If you're looking for any kinda clean BF-type tone ala 'country', a 5E7 will not get you there. I'd be looking at a 5F8A or a 5F6A for a nice clean tone at band volume.