I Want A 380

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
And I'm convinced that the Browning 1911-380 is the best choice for build quality and comfortable fit in my hand.

I considered the Walther PPK and even the Sig. What I don't understand is why Browning is the only one making a full size 380. I'm just not fond of the fact that every other 380 is a compact or a micro. It's like the 380 isn't considered to be a serious choice. But there are countless clips on YouTube showing that the 380 rounds perform on par with the 9mm.

The other factor is I'm left handed, and Browning is as close as I've seen to being ambidextrous. The Walther is the only other one that seems to care about us south paws.

I did have one factor in favor of Glock and that is the ease of take down and cleaning. I can take my 43x apart blindfolded and put it back together.

Last edited:

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
The 380 caliber sure has surged in popularity over the last few years. Unfortunately, factory ammunition in the 380 caliber is ridiculously expensive, compared to the much more common 9mm and 38 Special as a concealed carry caliber. I realize the demand is not nearly as great for the 380 and that is why it costs more but still it rankles me that 380 ammo is so expensive for what you get.

I am a handgunner from way back and have many different calibers for which I reload but 380 is not among them.

I hope you get the 380 pistol you want and can find affordable 380 ammo.

SerpentRuss

Tele-Meister
I think the .380 just lends itself to concealed carry and that's where all the development is. In this market, you have to think about ammo availability if you plan to shoot a lot. I don't own a .380, but I wonder how easy it is to get ammo. There are tons of them being sold, so it must be OK. That said, I've never, ever had trouble getting 9mm.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Check out the Ruger 380. I love mine. Cute little pop gun. Tiny thing.

ruger-lcp-custom-1.jpg

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
And I'm convinced that the Browning 1911-380 is the best choice for build quality and comfortable fit in my hand.

I considered the Walther PPK and even the Sig. What I don't understand is why Browning is the only one making a full size 380. I'm just not fond of the fact that every other 380 is a compact or a micro. It's like the 380 isn't considered to be a serious choice. But there are countless clips on YouTube showing that the 380 rounds perform on par with the 9mm.

The other factor is I'm left handed, and Browning is as close as I've seen to being ambidextrous. The Walther is the only other one that seems to care about us south paws.

I did have one factor in favor of Glock and that is the ease of take down and cleaning. I can take my 43x apart blindfolded and put it back together.
My first semi-auto, 45 or so years ago, was a Beretta .380. Very reliable, but I sold it to get something else. I currently have a Taurus Spectrum .380 as my smallest concealed-carry. I've fired it several times at the range, and never had any issues. I prefer to carry my Taurus 709 Slim 9mm, simply because it carries a couple more rounds.
I've also been considering a Glock.....I hear mostly good about them.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It is all in the personal perspective. Some like to carry micro pistols with smaller calibers because they are so easy and comfortable to carry concealed....I am not one of them. I prefer to carry the gun that I want in the event that the crap hits the fan. If your life depended on it, do you really want the .380 micro to be your life-saver? If your goal was an up close assasination, it would be a great choice, but hopefully that isn't the goal.

I have carried for decades in and out of law enforcement and believe that the larger weapon in a bright finish is your best friend. Not because of the power, but for the intimidation aspect of it. Having interviewed a lot of career criminals, they have all told me that they will risk it against a small caliber gun everytime. A bright stainless larger caliber revolver or auto is another matter and the shotgun is the ultimate equalizer...none would challenge a person armed with that one since even a poor shot is likely to hit them.

The rant aside, if you really want the .380, I think the 1911 platform is the right way to go. I have owned a few .380 Walthers and they are not all that great unless you find a nice vintage model. The modern versions are not the same....not even close.

Cost-wise, the .380 is going to not only cost more for the ammo, but much harder to find as well. A good 9mm is likely the better option.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
It is all in the personal perspective. Some like to carry micro pistols with smaller calibers because they are so easy and comfortable to carry concealed....I am not one of them. I prefer to carry the gun that I want in the event that the crap hits the fan. If your life depended on it, do you really want the .380 micro to be your life-saver? If your goal was an up close assasination, it would be a great choice, but hopefully that isn't the goal.

I have carried for decades in and out of law enforcement and believe that the larger weapon in a bright finish is your best friend. Not because of the power, but for the intimidation aspect of it. Having interviewed a lot of career criminals, they have all told me that they will risk it against a small caliber gun everytime. A bright stainless larger caliber revolver or auto is another matter and the shotgun is the ultimate equalizer...none would challenge a person armed with that one since even a poor shot is likely to hit them.

The rant aside, if you really want the .380, I think the 1911 platform is the right way to go. I have owned a few .380 Walthers and they are not all that great unless you find a nice vintage model. The modern versions are not the same....not even close.

Cost-wise, the .380 is going to not only cost more for the ammo, but much harder to find as well. A good 9mm is likely the better option.
Some interesting perspectives here, thanks for sharing.

I think some guys are stuck where CCW may be less popular, frowned upon by family, or more difficult in "concealed means concealed" areas of the country so they choose smaller more easily concealable stuff. In Texas if it gets uncomfortable I can just take the pistol off or adjust in public or carry openly or throw an AR or other rifle in my truck. I don't have to sweat my shirt riding up over my pistol. Some of the smaller pieces just function better for 24/7 carry. Like you, I prefer a full size pistol with large capacity 22+1 9mm! I usually run a streamlight on mine as well because it's dark out here and sometimes we get lost/meth/drunk/weird people randomly riding up driveways or parking in front of gates.

As for long guns I skip on the shotgun and have 30 rounds of x39 with an Aimpoint by my bed. Pistols are just for convenience.

tarheelbob

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My wife loves, LOVES, her Glock 42 .380. It is a great carry gun and she can drive tacks with it. It's comfortable and easily portable, two big factors in increasing the chances you'll have it if/when you may ever need it.

Hate the high ammo prices, also, but a price well worth paying for her comfort and confidence.

- Bob

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Been looking at CC compact sized pistols, preferably in 9mm, just 'cause I already have one. Problem is that small guns just won't fit in my hands, need something in XL grip size. Full size 1911s just fit so nice.

6stringcowboy

Friend of Leo's

100% agree with this. Had a .380 years ago and was killing some cans one day and one round penetrated a can and the bullet stayed inside the can and spun out its energy and remained inside the can. I was standing probably 15 ft. away. This was disturbing to me when thinking of a self defense weapon. Also had a friend who was shot with a .380 from about 20 feet away and the bullet hit him in the knee and remained there. I got rid of the .380 immediately and started carrying a 9mm. I now carry a .45 Officers Model.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't know of any authoritative source that considers .380 performance to be on par with 9mm. I suspect that you've have to compare .380 Critical Defense or something like to standard pressure 9mm to even come close. I'd imagine if you're shooting hot .380 ammo that it's going to feel and report a lot like the 9mm, so you've lost any advantage. The only real advantages that .380 has over the 9mm is report and recoil.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a .380, but thinking that it's going to perform anything like a 9mm is probably not realistic.

There are not a lot of full sized .380s out there, probably because there's no real advantage to having one. You gain sight radius, of course, but the .380 isn't a target round anyway.

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of 9mm either.