I Wanna '52 Reissue, But Which One?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Texicaster, Jun 3, 2019.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Wait. What? After this thread you HAD to get a run of the mill 52, either old or new! What’s this Wildwood nonsense??? :p

AxemanVR likes this.
  2. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

As we're talking variations on the same theme, I would buy the one with the neck you like best.

3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

The Poly Base coat "myth" is not a myth..

It's real, it's used not as a sealer but as a FILLER. Poly is great to work with because it not only goes on flatter but it's a breeze to sand flush without burn through. So, it's much easier for mass production and Fender used it as a filler really up until the PV series.

Thing is, it's only a big deal on Ash bodies that need a lot of filler. On Alder bodies the filler is so thin I even suspect they skipped the fill on many guitars.

It's not a thing to worry about tone wise, at all. But is a consideration if you want the closest thing to '52.

My biggest thing is the Maple Neck finishes, sometimes on any given day they glop it on so thick there's barely any fret left of the vintage size wire. Yuck. Others, it's nice and thin so the guitar is still comfy to play.

As for the statements of Pure Vintage guitars not checking...what is this on my 2014:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's much easier to see in person. The knobs are cracking, the pickguard swell just a hair, grooves/wear starting on the fretboard. And, quite honestly it's the closest reissue in tone/feel of a 50's Strat I've ever held including custom shop & boutique guitars. Lots of little quirks you'd find in vintage from the flat saw hard rock maple neck full of mineral streaks to the body chock full of little tiny streaks/worming/flaws.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  4. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think you'll be pleased. Great choice.

5. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah buying used is brilliant .. but you need to not be gassing :D

Congrats on your new guitar! :)

6. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Congrats! That sounds like an awesome guitar.

I've found that the pain of the purchase price is temporary. Once it fades, you'll be left with a guitar that you'll enjoy for decades to come, and that you'll love more than if you had compromised for a lower price on the front end.

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Well at least now for all those shopping in AZ there will be literally dozens of mint '52's for $100 popping up, which seems to happen every time I give up the hunt and buy new! :D You can thank me later!

My motto: "Buy the best and cry once"! While "best" remains to be seen/heard it was the best option and even spending a great deal more did not offer anything more for what I'm after...

I wonder if it'll kick the '58 out of rotation permanently! Man those are HARD to find on Reverb... I could probably get good $$$ for it!...:D

Thanks,

TEX

8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Didn't know you had a 58. Give us a comparisation. I never found a 58 in my part of the world, only the 52 and 64. I've always had an idea that the 58 would be perfect :)

9. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

LOVE the tone! Has a nice growl edge to it but the neck is too different from my acoustic and kinda bugs me....I almost and still may buy a new neck with fatter profile.....I'll see how the '52 settles in..

TEX

10. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

I bought one on eBay. It was advertised as a Pure Vintage (actually called American Vintage) but when I got it, the neck pickup sure was a muddy mess. Joined this forum and was told it’s an AVRI (see my AVataR). Did the modern wiring and I’m just in love with the guitar (I named her AVRIL, lol). The neck is plenty fat enough for me, so if the AVs are even fatter, I’m glad I got this one! Very inspiring, fantastic guitar. Oops, I see you bought a guitar. Congrats!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Tex, the thing you didn't bring out is, the AO product uses 6105 while the PV and all the ones before it use Vintage fretwire.

If you happen to find an AV52 from 1999-2011, don't just walk by. As you will notice, most of them are not Pumpkin. The price could be a little less; the quality is great and many of the owners of these were super protective of their guitars and they can be in immaculate condition. And, the neck is a little less chunky and you just might find you like that fine. Still many many players that are admiring of the AV52s from before that 2012 date. It might triple the number of examples you could try and maybe make an offer on.

12. boris bubbanov

Chino, it sounds to me like you made the "Jimi Hendrix Mistake" as many before you had also.

If one wanted to hear that neck pickup, stock AV52 before 21012, put the blade switch in the MIDDLE position. St. Leo originally wired these early 6 string guitars to cover sounds that would be later covered by a bass guitar (that may not have existed yet, or one wasn't available). That sound that Johnny Cash made famous. See, with the switch all the way up forward, the neck pickup is routed through a substantial resistor. Supposed to sound dark and bassy like that - once upon a time, all 1952 Telecasters were wired that way.

2012 came, and FMIC introduced the PV and decided it would not get an authentic old fashioned wiring scheme. But get a "modern" scheme instead. I'm very confident you don't have a PV (unless someone modified one, not likely) but any AV52 from before 2012 would have the vintage wiring scheme until someone modified it (most folks did).

13. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've bought, and sold, probably at least 6 52RI teles over the years since they were first introduced, all good in their own right. Visited CME last weekend while in Chicago and picked up a 2006 CS 52 relic tele. It beats all of the others I have had or tried. And, since it is used, didn't cost a whole lot more than a non-CS model. I put it on the same level as my CS Nocaster, different enough to not having a problem owning both. I know they're a little hard to find used, but I'm really happy I stumbled on this one.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

You’re absolutely correct, Boris. The guys here set me straight in no time. If you look at the attached pic, you’ll see that you can see the grain pretty prominently under the finish. The PVs are more opaque. I probably paid too much for it but I don’t care, I’m just so stoked to own a guitar this sweet! It was owned by a collector and is in mint condition. The case candy bag wasn’t even opened! I hated to open it to change the wiring. BTW, what exactly is the Jimi Hendrix mistake? Speaking of Jimi, I live in the town where he was born and is buried. I used to live right across from the cemetery. I hope he wasn’t too disturbed by my playing!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  15. boris bubbanov

The late Bill Lawrence told me (and others have said this also) that tho Jimi used a T style for certain recordings, he felt there were not enough different good sounds - compared to a Stratocaster with a 3 way. My suspicion based on what I've heard from people who knew Jimi was, people didn't realize all the possible switching combinations. I'm thinking Hendrix never realized he could get both pickups in Parallel (position 1.5) or any of this and personally I suspect Jimi sold the 52 style Telecaster short. He didn't know (and neither did a lot of others) what potential was there. That's why I started calling it the "Jimi Hendrix Mistake".

But I can't remember what position (pickup selection) Hendrix used when I saw him - I don't even remember if he used Sunn or Marshall. We just didn't have much of a grasp of all these technical things back then. I mean, Bill (Lawrence) knew what he was doing but the rest of us were mostly guessing.

16. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Yeah it killed me when somebody mentioned the “Jimi Hendrix mistake” on here AFTER I had done the wiring change! You’re so lucky you got to see him. But hey, I saw Iron Butterfly lol.

17. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Don’t let ‘em get you down. A switch wired neck / neck + middle / bridge is far more useful than the silly vintage. Which is why Fender moved away from the original wiring.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Jimi is quoted in Electric Gypsy in about 1970 as saying words to the effect: 'guys are into an age bag right now - it's all about the 58 Les Paul or the vintage Telecaster...... Most guitars got one good sound. I tried the, Tele got one good sound and one bad one. Strat has got five good sounds and vibrato......'

Bear in mind his experience with the Tele was probably of old ones - his first new guitar was the white Strat a girlfriend bought him.

19. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Thanks, good point. I feel better haha

20. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

I don’t know about Jimi but I LOVE the Tele neck pickup. So warm and jazzy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.