I USED TO THINK THIS SONG WAS CHEESY, NOW I LOVE IT.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Paddy McAloon (Prefab Sprout) is probably one of my biggest influences with my writing, and definitely my biggest influence with my solo acoustic/vocal stuff.

But I just couldn't get into this song. Possibly because it's first airing was performed by actor Jimmy Nail (another North-Eastern Englishman/Geordie) in a TV drama back in the mid 1990s.

It came on Autoplay during a YouTube session I was having with some of Paddy's music a few weeks ago.
Now I'm playing the song almost daily.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Paddy McAloon (Prefab Sprout) is probably one of my biggest influences with my writing, and definitely my biggest influence with my solo acoustic/vocal stuff.

But I just couldn't get into this song. Possibly because it's first airing was performed by actor Jimmy Nail (another North-Eastern Englishman/Geordie) in a TV drama back in the mid 1990s.

It came on Autoplay during a YouTube session I was having with some of Paddy's music a few weeks ago.
Now I'm playing the song almost daily.

YEAH!

As a huge Prefab Sprout fan since Swoon, I prefer the work up to and including some of Andromeda Heights.

This song is great though, and the rest of the album (The Gunman and other Stories) is pretty good, although it lacks some of Paddys quirkiness, I think.

Steve McQueen (Two Wheels Good), Protest Songs and Jordan are my favourite albums.

Edit: And Paddy is an underrated guitarist!

Last edited:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
YEAH!

As a huge Prefab Sprout fan since Swoon, I prefer the work up to and including some of Andromeda Heights.

This song is great though, and the rest of the album (The Gunman and other Stories) is pretty good, although it lacks some of Paddys quirkiness, I think.

Steve McQueen (Two Wheels Good), Protest Songs and Jordan are my favourite albums.

Edit: And Paddy is an underrated guitarist!
I'm the same with Prefab Sprout, it's mainly pre-Andromeda Heights for me.

I used to cover a lot of their songs when I was starting out with the solo acoustic stuff in 80s and have been thinking of doing a "songs of Paddy McAloon" live set when the health improves, I think it would go down well in certain parts of Glasgow with a certain generation of punter.

I've spent the last year learning "Horsin' Around" and have developed a quite percussive way of playing it using a guy on YouTube who painstakingly works out all of Paddy's weird chord shape (the guy's video below).
I discovered a few years ago that Paddy wrote that song for my vocal coach to sing but ended up keeping it for himself.

I play the album "I Trawl the Megahertz" a lot when I'm pottering around. It reminds me of some of those minimalism classical composers like Steve Reich.

Currently trying to learn how to play "Cruel" from the first album.

peteycaster

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I actually liked the Jimmy Nail version too. Crocodile shoes was the show from memory. I have the soundtrack album somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and re-visit. Thanks for the info on Paddy McAloon.