I used to love my Blues jrIII until I got an Excelsior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telefunken, Jul 8, 2013.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Peter Lorre would have played an Excelsior.:D

2. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yup. I got mine very slightly used for under $250 and it came with Tung Sols and an upgraded 15" speaker. Total spent to date: $25 for Bitmo mod kit and under $10 for a 12AT7 pre-amp tube.

I'd agree that the Legend upgrade is worth it, but otherwise play around with an inexpensive EQ pedal and you will probably be very happy for the money.

3. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

Lord..... that is a great deal.
    No wonder I cannot sell any of my gear.:)
    best

4. tele salivas

Here is a quick demo of my pedal steel going through the Excelsior. Not the best quality, but it gives you a little bit of an idea. I'll get a better sound once I figure the camera out.

5. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

I like the "low fi" quality of the recording. My speakers here at work suck, but it sounds like its from the 50's listening here. What input were you going through?

The pedal steel and the Exy seem like a GREAT pair. It looks like the hunt is now on for a pedal steel!

Thanks for the vid tele, and now the GAS.

6. tele salivas

Hey Strateles, I use the Accordion input with the pedal steel. That is one of the reasons I really like the pedal steel- Excelsior combination, it really does have an older/'50's sound , which is most of the reason I chose that Webb Pierce/Bud Isaacs phrase to play. Even in good recording mic up situations, its got that craggy kind of sound to it. Now that I got a better understanding of how this computer's mic and video function, I'll work up a more substantial piece. Thanks for the positive feedback!

7. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

+1 ~ Dude, that sounds awesome!! Sweet & timeless. New respect for the Excelsior.

8. tele salivas

Glad you like it Pondcaster!

9. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I had a chance (several times actually) to try them in the store. They sound better "live and in person" than on any video. They are very very good sounding.

10. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I've been holding out for quite a while for a DRRI, but I'm so impressed with the Excelsior demos I've heard. And the price? Wow! It's now at the top of my list. Like others have said before, I wrote them off long ago because I thought they were just a cheap novelty amp. Man, every demo I've heard is awesome.

Someone earlier said that Fender was going to discontinue them? I hope I can get one before the do and before the used prices go through the roof. Thanks very much to the OP for enlightening me with this thread and to all that have posted demos.

11. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

My excelsior went back to fender 3 times at that point i just wanted rid of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.