I used to like them skinny, but now the thicker ones seem more fun...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by audiopablo, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Potatocaster

Potatocaster TDPRI Member

Question for you all: do you like the neck thick all the way down, or start smaller and taper? About to carve my first and I wonder how doable a simple fat carve lengthwise would be in a u shape.

audiopablo likes this.
  2. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I have smallish hands but I love a big fat U neck. Recently acquired a Musikraft .97-.99 U that I love much that I ordered another.
    I heard so much about the fat necks on AV 52 teles that I bought one online without playing it first. Man was I dissapointed. Not nearly fat enough and on top of that way too narrow.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My Warmoth "fatback" is 1" deep from nut to heel. 1 11/16" wide at nut, with big shoulders.
    The only "less" conventional thing is the compound radius fretboard....10"-16" I think. It must be comfortable 'cause I don't notice anything. ;)

Telecentric and Potatocaster like this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Years ago I had no idea and just played whatever I liked in the shop, then bought it. More recently I discovered via the internet what the specs are of the guitars I already own, so I then looked for other (Fender) guitars with similar specs: thinner C shape, 7.25" radius and low/thin vintage frets. Similar with Gibson type guitars; I even sold on a 'fat' 50s neck Les Paul Studio I bought as I found I didn't like the neck and replaced it with a Les Paul with a thinner 60s neck.

However, this year I've been working on a Partscaster project and trying all kinds of different Fender necks. I ended up getting a 'fat' '51 U neck to push myself a bit (9.5" radius and taller frets than I'm used to). It was a bit strange at first, but I've really settled into it and yet if I pick up my other Fenders with their thinner necks/7.25" radius they soon feel 'normal' to me.

I think that swapping between the thinner and fatter necks helps my hands. It also means that if I have to change to a strange guitar for some reason I'm more accustomed to the variation. I still find 12" radius on a Fender feels odd to me, despite my LP and my Gretsch being this radius, but at least I'm not stuck in a thin/7.25" radius mode now.

nicod98, audiopablo and nojazzhere like this.
  5. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

Nope - not what I expected this thread to contain?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

audiopablo likes this.
  6. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

No taper here. A full 1 inch is to my liking these days.

nojazzhere and Potatocaster like this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

After trying everything from a standard Fender to an Allparts TRO-FAT...I've settled on the above as well. The Allparts TMO-V is ideal. Has all those specs.

audiopablo likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Uh huh.

Various sizes work for me.
    Not so much a really skinny one or a V shape with sharp edges.

audiopablo likes this.
  9. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I have a Johnny Marr Jaguar whose neck is exactly that. Thin at the first fret and wider on the way down. I have to be in the mood for it. It's a very fun neck, and some days I think it's the greatest, especially because playing with a capo up high is so roomy.

But for some reason, when I'm playing rhythm, it just feels good to be holding a bigger neck. I don't think a big, baseball bat U is for me, but the wider profile on the Am Pro (and my MIM with a cabronita neck) is growing on me. I have another tele with a smaller neck and compound radius, and I'm coming to grips with why I don't play it as much: the neck quality is superb, but my fat, clumsy finger picking style prefers more space so that I don't do collateral string hits as I'm pullin' and pluckin' away.

10. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

My friend Marty is like this. He's such a good and calm player. He can pick up any guitar and not care. I'm trying to get that way, but I'll never be as good as him. He doesn't worry about anything but what strings he's got to hold down and when.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  11. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Each is unique and amazing in its own way. You have to get to know each one and how to tease the most out of it.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very true.
    You need a different touch with every one.

13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I love fat necks, but my AVRI62 has a stupidly thin neck.. but its my holy grail guitar, and I love it the way it is.. I dont want to mod it, or put a fatter neck on it.. but Im really really tempted to get a one inch fat with 7.25 radius, and 6105 frets, but I want that new neck to match the amber tint on the original so saving myself some disappointment, I wont do it and live with it..

my 1 inch vintage-U rosewood neck on my partscaster though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

I've got smallish hands and stumpy-lookin' fingers. For the past 10 years I've been playing modern C necks or 60s slim tapers, but I gotta say the soft V on my Baja just feels gooood...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.