I tried to help

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, May 15, 2021.

1. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a friend who wants to get intp "electric playing" with a tube amp. He's mostly a folksy acoustic player, but has been trying to get into electric for a few years now. Wants to play old country, old rock and stuff up into the 70s like Allman Brothers and Neil Young. He has a 100W SS Fender Mustang Modeler that is just a bad fit for him. He wants something simpler and better sounding. He was looking at the Fender Blues Jr and/or a Hot Rod Deluxe (on GC's used section). He asked me for advice, and ultimately I steered him towards the Peavey Classic series, and he ended up buying a used black tolex Classic 50 with 2x12s from the GC Used website. I love those Classics myself but I hope I didn't give him a bum steer.

Well, his Peavey Classic arrived, and this is what he got:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He didn't even power it up (which is a good thing) and took it back to the local GC for a return. They refunded his money so he's not out anything, but he's still soured by the experience. I don't blame him. But at the same time I feel bad that I led him to disappointment.

I still believe that the Peavey Classics are great amps, but what else would be a good straightforward tube amp for someone who wants to play blues, old country and old rock?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Fendereedo and String Tree like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Bad luck for him, but nothing on you. I think you steered him well. He will just be inconvenienced by the set back.

Nickfl and Fendereedo like this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

When I see that it is an open invitation to take it a part and and poke around. I couldn't help myself; a train wreck I can't help but stare at, even though there could be things I'll never unsee. Kind of like the TDPRI bidet thread.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Best tool for that job is a hammer drill with a socket bit.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

My advice for him: get a new amp, instead of a used one. Does he want to spend time and money maintaining or repairing an older amp…no. It totally destroys the vibe of getting into playing electric.

I had a used tweed Classic 50, and it was a good amp. Heavy but I put neo speakers in it. Sold it eventually when I came into a used Classic VTX. However, I can do all of my own amp repair.

Fendereedo, stormsedge and Jakedog like this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

GC actually sold that? Seriously? I take the GC bashing with a grain of salt, because we don’t have them up here anyway, but no music store with a sign, a street address, and a phone number should be selling something like that. Craigslist or FB Marketplace? Yeah, sure, but not from a proper vendor, even if sold as used.

Nickfl, Fendereedo, StratDal and 4 others like this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the best values going right now are Marshall Origin series. Just plain killer amps, and not a lot of money.

8. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not the first time I have seen something like that. People do stupid repairs to amps. I am surprised guitar center sold that. Shame on them.

Fendereedo and Fretting out like this.
  9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Shoulda just went with the HRdlx...

The Origin 20 or 50 are good, I'd say they're less vanilla than the peavey C30, and are a better jtm sound than the HRdlx is a BF sound.

But for what you're describing your friend is into, a used deluxe RI would probably be in the vein they're after.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When we saw this on the site, it was "good condition" and the same price as all the others in GC's used section. Two pictures from the front only.

Pretty sure the store that listed this knew what they were doing.

GGardner and Fretting out like this.
  11. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

that.... is just wrong. shame on those forks.

guide him to the goodness.... that is your duty

you can do it

12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

What was going through the head of the arsehole that listed that? Did he think that would fly?

You gotta laugh at the absurdity. Crying isnt an option here.

13. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I was lost when I read enough to gather "acoustic guy wants to get into electric"

I've seen this post, and it's polar opposite (electric guy wants to try acoustic OMG) enough times to just be flabbergasted lol.

I was 11 or 12 when my old man bought me my first crappy electric guitar... And the first two guys I found for lessons, were like "Yo dude, you should start out on an Acoustic (they were right IMO) so my next guitar was a crappy acoustic that I didn't play very much.

I guess my point (if I have one) is best of luck giving an adult guitarist... tips on changing to either electric or acoustic, without having to change his light bulbs while you're there. :p

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m guessing that wasn’t the first time it was returned

I wonder how long it will circulate

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

A Peavy Classic is what he needs, just not that Peavy Classic! I’d suggest maybe a new Bandit. Mine did me for years when I didn’t know what music I wanted to, (or rather could?) play!

16. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I can’t believe that GC bought that in. I’ve seen Guitar centers turn people down trying to sell better looking gear than that.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have to agree with the advice to start with a used Deluxe or Princeton Reverb reissue. Great sounding amps, reasonably reliable, holds most value for resale, and plenty loud for almost any situation. Regardless of the question, the answer is invariably "Deluxe Reverb". ;)

Ed Storer likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

A few years ago I saw a PRS MCarty listed for $1500 in "good condition" on the GC used gear page, it was at a store within driving distance. I happened to be in that area so I went over and checked it out - it had a bad, obvious, heel crack - the neck was just a nudge away from coming clean from the body. I showed it to them and they said "oh, wow, yeah, huh" and just put it back on the wall...

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

That has nothing to do with Peavey quality, and you were not wrong to steer him in that direction.
    There are plenty of functioning old Peaveys out there, just find another for him.

20. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

"He has a 100W SS Fender Mustang Modeler that is just a bad fit for him." You make him sound like a beginner. SO, sounding good is relative. I can make a Mustang amp sound good. Question is, is he accomplished enough to know how to yank tones out of an amp. Otherwise, his beginner style will sound that way with whatever amp he ends up with. Will he be happy with an amp that has NO effects? You want him to get a tube amp? Does he know the maintenance required? Or recognize it has an issue? Also, Classic 50's are very loud, when is his next concert? I'd go PRRI or maybe a small Supro if you go tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.