I tried the Stewmac Gotoh compensated brass saddles...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Webfoot, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

I have a two year old American Pro Telecaster with brass compensated saddles. Have done a deep dive about intonation and setup. Got curious about having a saddle with the grooves because I do a lot of string bending and was worried about the string re-positioning on top of the saddle. So I tried the Stewmac Gotoh compensated brass saddles with the grooves.

The Gotoh's intonated a tad bit better than the stock Fender compensated saddles (don't know why). BUT the Gotoh saddles do not sound as lively as the original Fender saddles (material or the break angle?).

So now considering Rutters.

Anyone do a tone comparison of brass compensated saddles between 1) Rutters 2) Fender or Gotoh?

What did you find?

2. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Ive got both on two different Teles.

Honestly I noticed no difference in tone but the strings do stay in place better on either set.

3. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

I have a Gotoh bridge with the compensated & slotted 3-brass barrels and I love it. I prefer individual saddles like a strat, but I think the 3-barrel set-up is part of the tele sound.

4. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I really can’t imagine the saddles making much difference unless the materials are different (eg brass vs stainless) in the saddles themselves or in the height screws. Even then, it would be hard to notice if you’re plugged in.

I’m not disputing that there’s a difference but are you sure it’s the saddles and not a different string gauge or old vs new string set or when you did a new setup on the saddles you didn’t set the action different?

5. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

I left the same set of strings on as the change out was non-invasive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.