I touched a 335 today.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I bought a 1994 Gibson ES-135 like this a few months ago. Has P-100s
View attachment 1017130
The 135s are awesome guitars. Neck feels great on them. I got one new in 2002 and still have it. The P-100s that came on 135s are a humbucker version of the P-90s. I changed 'em out to P-90s and never looked back.

BTW, for those who find that an ES-335 is too rich for their blood, I've seen these used on Reverb for $1750-1800. They play and sound similar to a 335.

20210820_222809.jpg

Last edited:

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Having owned six or seven 335, 345 or 340s and an Epi Riviera (1967), I can truthfully say I've loved them all. Fortunately, these were all obtained, sold or traded in the 70s and 80s, so the cost was not prohibitive like today. Currently, my 335 itch is scratched by my Epi Sheraton USA Reissue (2006) and my Elitist Riviera 12 string.
20180518_173047.jpg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I've always hated the look of a 335, and never owned such a guitar since I started playing in 1986, until around 2 years ago. Got one on a trade - now it's all I play, really.

So, just to be clear, you started playing guitar in 1986, but you are 23 years old? I haven't broken out the calculator, but I suspect that math does not work out.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Just before the quarantine I bought a new 2019 ES-335 that was hanging on the wall at a Sam Ash. I wasn't really looking at weight, but it sounded and played so good, that I snagged it. It weighs 7.84 lbs. which is not that heavy for a big guitar like a 335. I also have a Heritage H-535 that weighs 7.62 lbs. They're out there if you're looking for lighter ones. View attachment 1017462 View attachment 1017463
The Gibson vs the Heritage... knowing both of them as you do, which do you think is the better 335?

HaWE

Tele-Meister
We were visiting a drummer who was living nearby and he had this red Gibson 335 standing in his room.
It was from one of his band members, but I was allowed to play it. Being a 16 or 17 year old teenager, I was used to my japanese Tele-copy or some old german Höfner or Framus. I still remember how great the 335 sounded , the action so low and the guitar was very easy to play.I was very excited playing such a great instrument.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I would've LOVED to have had an original Gibson 335, but I just couldn't justify/afford the costs. I ended up building my own using as many USA made Gibson parts as I could get my hands on, and plus I wanted to "see if I could build a set neck guitar" I am happy with the results, she plays/sounds like a dream, but it was a heck of a lot of work man. Gibson's 335 costs are well justified in my book and if you can get a deal on one (which is near impossible), I'd jump all over it. Even still, here's my build thread in case you're interested:

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
I had an early 60's ES330 and a 67 ES335. I've had trouble finding a modern ES335 that felt as light and resonant as my 67. What I ended up buying was a Heritage H535, Eastman T486 and Epiphone IBG 335. They all weigh under 7.5 lbs.

The Epiphone feels, sounds and plays like an ES335. I tried to get the other guitars to be a little different. The Eastman has a maple neck, ebony fingerboard and Seymour Duncan Jazz/59 pickups. But they all sound more similar than I had hoped.

397715541.jpg

100_2540.JPG

100_2513.JPG

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
The Gibson vs the Heritage... knowing both of them as you do, which do you think is the better 335?
They're different, but I've heard from other 335 players that there’s often a noticeable difference in sound between 2 identical looking Gibson 335s.

My 335 has a slightly thinner neck than the Heritage. Soundwise maybe the Heritage is darker, but it could be that my ears are being influenced by the darker sunburst and lighter natural color. The Heritage has SD '59 pickups, and the 335 has Gibson "Calibrated T type humbuckers." I can't pick one over the other. It's like asking which one of your kids is your favorite.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I have lusted after a 335 for years. Every time I've auditioned one, it just didn't feel right under my fingers or just the size and how it "fit" my body. I just couldn't get comfortable with it.
Plus, I don't really like the round neck profile. They have a 61 Reissue with a slim taper neck which I prefer but it's only available as a custom shop model and I'm not spending $6,000 on one. I wish they offered a non-CS version of the 61/Slim taper for under $4,000 but that ain't happening.
They are gorgeous and have a wonderful tone.
It will always be unrequited love.

fenderfan

Tele-Afflicted
In 1970, for my college band, I bought a new, tobacco burst 335 right off the wall of a local music store (that was a tough budget move, as I was a generally poor college guy). Later on, I sold it for grad school tuition money, and I miss it all the time. It doesn't help that my band back then recorded a bunch of songs at a rehearsal, and we still have the recording, and that 335 really played itself - no clams throughout the recording. So, I get to still hear it after all these years, which is both fun and painful.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I have lusted after a 335 for years. Every time I've auditioned one, it just didn't feel right under my fingers or just the size and how it "fit" my body. I just couldn't get comfortable with it.
Plus, I don't really like the round neck profile. They have a 61 Reissue with a slim taper neck which I prefer but it's only available as a custom shop model and I'm not spending $6,000 on one. I wish they offered a non-CS version of the 61/Slim taper for under $4,000 but that ain't happening.
They are gorgeous and have a wonderful tone.
It will always be unrequited love.
Get requited! The neck on my Sheraton 1964 Reissue is that 60s slim taper profile. The bodies and necks were MIJ and finished in the USA with USA electronics. The Epiphone Elitist line also share the same neck profile. The quality of these Epiphones is every bit as good as their Gibson counterparts, and in some cases, better. To make sure you're getting one of these gems, look for the minihums they came with. Prices are, of course, on the rise, and they're not really common, but they pop up on Reverb or Evilbay occasionally. Prices are usually in the $2-2.5K range- a lot less than the Custom Shop prices.
20171114_133334.jpg
20171114_133346.jpg
20171114_133414.jpg

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
In 2007 when I began to sniff around the ES-335s in my area, what I found was that they each had their own personalities. I spent months sniffing around several dealers who had everything from vintage ES-335s to Historics to DOT Memphis guitars. There were dark ones, bright ones, hard, powerful ones, and sweet ones.

There were also light ones, heavy ones, and ones in-between. I really didn't think too much about that - I was looking for a sweet sound with plenty of sustain and a wide fretboard and a neck that wasn't too much in my hand. I knew I would be using the guitar in the studio.

My lovely wife surprised me for Christmas by taking me out to buy the ES of my choice. The result amongst four dealers and probably eleven guitars was a Heritage Cherry NOS 2005 Memphis ES-335 DOT with '57 Classic pickups, a "1960 slim taper neck" withbroad shoulders that, a wide fingerboard, tall (.054) frets, and Grover Rotomatics. The sound is sweet and plaintive, the feeling is fast and natural, and the guitar quickly became the center of my studio kit.

Is it the be-all-end-all? No. It is fairly heavy. I'm a 5'9" guy and it is huge on me if I stand up. I am much more comfortable standing with a Les Paul. I wanted a sunburst and it was red. But the sound and feel were my first choices and I got just what I wanted. It doesn't please the Internet but it pleases my clients and, after a good set up, feels like a million dollars in my hands.

Bob

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Since most of us never will, I thought I'd report back to you this amazing experience. It was a sunburst, just like my Ibanez AS-73 (335 copy). The Gibson body is lighter than the Ibanez. I guess the center block is different because everything else looked/felt the same.

That concludes this episode of, "Guitars I Touched But Will Never Be Able To Own".
Never say never! No reason not to have one someday.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I haven't touched a 335 in a long time now, but I almost bought one many years ago.

I recall liking it a lot. I suppose it would have been a late '60s/early '70s one, I don't remember, if I ever knew. These things just weren't so important back then.

It was a bit beaten up, which is why I could have managed to afford it, but I didn't buy it in the end, and I don't really remember why.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I love them to look at, and love the sounds some great players get out of them, but for some inexplicable reason do not feel comfortable and at home on them as I do on some other guitars. I wish it were otherwise, but I guess I can hang on to that $4-5K, which is some consolation.

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of the modern ES335's just don't sound like I want.

The weird thing is, by time I buy and adjust a guitar, they all sound pretty similar. I don't try to sound like anyone else. I try to sound like the guitar in my head. My semi-hollows sound a lot like my main solid bodies, PRS Custom 22's. I try to buy guitars made differently, with different woods, different pickups, etc. But I tend to end up with similar sounds. I didn't use to do this.

Last edited: