I took my Supro Blues King 12 for a jam session and I was honestly underwhelmed.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitarguy91, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Some of us are really blessed or lucky to have found or formed the right band and the gig environment where all this volume/tone imbalance is just not an issue.( a great drummer has a ton to do with this)

You just play and sound good together, and you can rock at any volume. I'm grateful.
    But I know that not everyone wants to play like this.

My Blues Jr. (15 watts tube, 12") has over the last 5-6 years become my big amp, and a Pathfinder, Frontman 25R, or the new Supro BK 10 ( I just pick one, it doesn't even matter, as they all can have similar volume) now get the gigs. All light, sound great.

Just need ths gigs! ( February sucks, but I knew it would)

Marc Morfei and keng like this.
  2. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Preach it brother, couldn't agree more. It took some trial and error when I was looking for musicians to form the band, especially bass player, it was a pain in the neck. You're 100% correct about the drummer, it makes or break how you deal with volume in a band, and how everything gels together.

Jakedog and keng like this.
  3. goodguy

goodguy Tele-Meister

Supro produced so many overlapping/confusing/overpriced/discontinued models over the past few years, I wrote them off. Would have liked to try one at some point but not gonna overpay for the nameplate when I can get same or better from 6 other manufacturers. Why buy the Supro variant for $1500 when you could get a proven Fender amp for <$1000?. It’s too bad because they killed their chance to grow a following with greedy high pricing & confusing array of models.

4. keng

keng TDPRI Member

When you're playing by yourself a full bass to treble range sounds great. Once you play with other instruments you have to find your eq space in the mix. if you're in the same range as the singer or another guitarist, it will be impossible to stand out without ridiculous volume. Sometimes the best sound for the mix won't sound that great by itself.

BigToe, Vizcaster, Ronzo and 2 others like this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

This Blues King 10 ( Cyber Monday) was $280 shipped. That's why I got it.

- 5 watts tube ( 6V6/12AX7)
    -10" speaker
    - spring Reverb ( not tube though)
    - Boost function/ switch
    - Drive function/ switch
    - seems like a very sturdy build, plenty of clean or dirtier volume on tap
    20201203_173946.jpg

* since photo, replaced knobs with Chicken Heads- great 'mod'- now I can see settings!

GGardner likes this.
  6. OneOcean

OneOcean TDPRI Member

Buy another matching Supro and run both of them in a band setting, perhaps through stereo pedals, and use just one when playing at home or smaller rooms. Perhaps combine the Supro with an amp that has complimentary tones, however be aware that there's a 50% chance that two different amps will be out of phase and not provide all the volume and tone you were hoping for. There are splitter pedals that have phase switches that easily allow you to keep multiple amps in phase. Having a few small-med tube amps in your arsenal gives you the flexibility to put together an appropriate level of output for the venue, allows a lush stereo soundscape if you want, and they are also easier to move around than one big amp.

7. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Yeah I wasn't impressed with that amp. The Supro 1622RT is amazing, though. The Jupiter and Saturn are good, but heavy.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I suppose that’s one way of looking at it.

9. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

What do people mean when they say can’t be heard or didn’t cut through, but they can hear everyone else? Are they sure no one else can hear them? Do they walk out to the middle of the room and know what the audience hears? Do they mean everything is on ten and I can still hear the other players?

Most players put the amp on the floor at their ankles facing the guy across the room, who is doing the same thing, and all each of them hear is the other.

It’s been posted all the time, get the amp up, pointed at your ears, even with a few feet of distance. Then you will hear you.

And if everyone hates to hear drummers, why do you keep inviting them? I play drums and could play 7 days a week if I wanted to. Kinda weird for an instrument so hated.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  10. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

[QUOTE="Jakedog, post: 10437000, member:

If your cable is long enough, next time you use it go stand over by the other guitarist and see what it sounds like over there.[/QUOTE]

This

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

well there you go. I never bought into this whole 15 - 20 watt amp thing, seems for you it's proven the bunch of crap that it is, in a real world sense. The DSL would have been the realistic choice. Unless you leave it in the bedroom where it belongs with a studio condenser in front of it, feeding into your interface, all these little amps are basically useless. I had the same problem in the '70;s before everybody decided you didn't need to be loud enough, but that's because I couldn't afford a proper amp. For tube sound to play in a band you need at least 30 watts, 60 or so for solid state. I have nothing under 30 watts (my AC30) and I can get workable bedroom tones.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  12. Guitarguy91

Guitarguy91 TDPRI Member

You may be right. I learned a valuable lesson from this experience. However not all 15-20 watt amps are created equal.

Doctorx33, Arfage and Chiogtr4x like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

And many of us ( now) have gigs or play in bands where a 15-20 watt amps are fine. Wineries and brewpubs, lounges. ( venues want live rockin' music, at a level patrons can still talk)

I use 15 watt and 25 watt SS amps, and 5 watt, and 15 watt tube amps w/ either single 8", 10", 12" speakers- all good!

Vizcaster and Marc Morfei like this.
  14. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

RE: I cranked the master and gain knobs on my amp and still was barely being heard.

Try cranking the master and BACKING OFF the gain. You're losing saturation, and not cutting through. Change your EQ so it's different than the other guitar amp so you're not "competing" for frequency space.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Dancing doesn’t count, everybody knows the dancers need another 25w of their own!
    Tweed Deluxe is for coffee house gigs with clinking teacups.

16. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

+1
    Off topic...that sure applies to pickups, too.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

What I find is that with my amp up on a table and me near it trying to hear details like slow bent notes, I hear three or four other pieces as an overall louder sound than my guitar, and when I turn up so I can hear my guitar well enough to hear details, they tell me I’m too loud.

First my hearing is bad and worse in a noisy environment.
    Second I’m a detail player. I could strum chords and not need to hear details, but I play other stuff that I need to be able to hear the pitch of etc.

I can keep playing when I sorta hear myself, but it’s hard to tell how it sounds.
    This is a weakness but also has some amount of basis in reality.
    If you have five sound sources each producing a 100db volume, your one source is harder to hear than all combined sources.

I suppose also we get into how loud we think our awesome guitar sound should be. I certainly recognize my own obsession with my playing that I put 40 years into, and prefer it not go the way of much instrumentation you have to struggle to identify.

A singer songwriter will have their own priorities!
    They would be the more correct if they were the band leader, and it was a song oriented vocals band with instrumental accompaniment.
    Something like blooze with a little bonus embarrassing vocal thrown in might do well to showcase the guitar if the guitar is great and excites the audience more than the crappy vocals.

When we read a post it could be any of the possible reasons.

Amp on the floor blasting your own ankles and whoever is across from you is volume problems 101.

I’m actually still considering making a little 1x10 cab I can mount on a tall drum stand or PA mount so it’s up near ear height.
    That or in ears with a guitar forward mix sent to me but I doubt I’ll get that any time soon.
    Being hard of hearing sucks, and as a band mate that kinda means I suck too, f I can’t solve the problem without upsetting the other mates.
    At least I play with taste but that’s not really enough if others also play with taste.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have been running with the 15-20 watt camp for about that many years now and I do tend to think that if I can't get heard then the band is playing too loud. I don't really want my amp to be clean until I turn my guitar down so there's that.
    15 watts with a single 10 is not going to keep up with 15 watts thru a 2-12, or probably a 1-12, but that will depend on the amp because, as stated, all amps are not created equal.

19. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Gibson doesn't call them that. They call them Burstbucker 61's

20. soulmagic09

soulmagic09 NEW MEMBER!

I had the BK 12 for about 2 months. I really wanted to love it, and thought I might get there having seen all of the positive reviews about it. It looks great and fairly easy to carry. Ultimately, though, I just did not bond with it. It sounded too boxy for my tastes, and I thought about that possibly being an issue before i bought it, given the smaller cabinet size. I did not care much for the reverb either.

I played it a dozen times or so during some house jams, and just was never happy with it. They guys said it sounded good. And as was mentioned in another post, walking around the room definitely gives you a better perspective. It sounded better when I was away from it, but standing by it was big difference, at least to my ears. I also have played and still do play a Fender Super Champ X2 with a Celestion 10/30 in it during these jams. I have never been frustrated on unhappy with it. That was my barometer for finally deciding to sell the BK 12. (Also, I also have a Blues Junior that I love.)

Treynor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.