1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I took my Supro Blues King 12 for a jam session and I was honestly underwhelmed.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitarguy91, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Guitarguy91

Guitarguy91 TDPRI Member

I’m not disappointed with the tone of the amp. I’m a little disappointed by the fact I was not cutting through the mix. I was playing with a drummer and another guitar player who was using a Fender champion 100. I was playing a Les Paul with humbuckers. I asked him to turn the amp down a bit and I still was getting drowned out despite the fact he decreased his volume. I cranked the master and gain knobs on my amp and still was barely being heard. I intend to take my DSL40CR next time to be heard a bit better.

2. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

You're asking for trouble if you show up to a session with a drummer and you bring in less than about 25 watts. And I suspect that the other guitarist didn't fancy being asked to "turn down".

3. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

The Champion 100 is a great amp for very little money.

Geo, cracker973, Terrygh1949 and 5 others like this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Was the amp up on a stand, or on the ground?. The amp isn't the most powerful out there. Supro are writing power cheques a single 6L6 will have trouble cashing. It'll need some assistance. A wooden chair, or a couple of stacked beer crates to get the amp some height at least will really help.
    If you're barely being heard, consider playing when the other player isn't, or playing what they aren't.
    A 10 Watt amp flat out is a loud thing indeed, and upping the ante in terms of decibels via escalating power won't end well.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Same thing happened when I brought a Pro Junior to a full band jam with a loud drummer...until I put it through a 4x12. Then it was awesome.

If you’ve got a bigger more efficient cab and you’re able to keep it there, maybe give that a shot. Otherwise, yeah, bring your DSL40.

mojek likes this.
  6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

.......like bringing a knife to gun fight.

Deluxe Reverb is my absolute minimum amp. Not because I like to play loud, but because it offers some dynamic ceiling and allows for cleaner tones in group enviroment.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This is why I play in a trio, or trio+Harmonica. I'm the only guitar!

I've only done one gig with my Supro BK 10 ( 5 watts, one 6V6) with Boost ON and both Volume's at NOON, and was fine.
    20201203_173946.jpg
    But we do these real minimal quieter gigs often, and know how to R&R at a quieter volume ( great drumners are the key!)

Maguchi, Geo, Treynor and 4 others like this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Not sure if that is too bassy to cut through

My little Supro supreme 10" cut through practice and gig with a young
    loud in your ear drummer. (note 2 yrs ago)

Maybe your EQ.

Hmm

Maguchi, sax4blues, mrfitz98 and 4 others like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

I wonder which amp is louder?

A 15 watt, 1X12" Blues Junior,
    with 2 EL-84's ( and 3 12AX7's )

an amp I own, it's my 'big gig' amp anymore

Or:
    A 15 watt, 1X12" Supro BK 12,
    with one 6L6 ( and one 12AX7, plus the FET Boost /Drive switches)

(I have the smaller 5 watt BK 10)

I guess you'd have to run both amps thru the same 12" ? Just curious

Anyone have both amps?

Edit: I guess I'm just wondering as my BJ is loud! ( or, plenty loud, if needed)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  10. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Champion 100 is LOUD

I have a Frontman 100... the grandpa of the Champion and is really LOUD. It will eat your 15W amp

11. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Did you scoop your mids? For what it’s worth, none of my favorite solo guitar sounds work well in a mix.

Commodore 64 and That Cal Webway like this.
  12. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was gonna add something but I think our friends upthread pretty much said it all.

Probably makes a nice home practice amp. Good luck

13. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Practice tone with a nice full sound is often lost in a band mix. There is a reason mid-boosted signals are so successful.

That aside, increasing the amount of air you can move always helps. My Terror Stamp is 20 watts and through a single speaker cabinet it won't hold with a loud band, but pushing a modern 2x12 or 4x12 it will.

Ron C and Bloody Meridian like this.
  14. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Just curious, was the other guy playing a Telecaster?

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've played a few of these Supro amps in the store and they seemed like "full" amps that weren't that bright.

The Les Paul is also a lot less bright of a guitar.

The perceived volume level with that amp might be a lot louder if you took a Tele or other single coil guitar just cause the brightness cuts through more and sounds so much louder.

I am amazingly shocked at how much louder the perceived volume is with my Orange Rocker 15 + my G&L Doheny vs my Reverend Charger (which has PAF-style pickups). The MFD pickups in the G&L are hotter than normal single coils and the decibel meter says the two guitars aren't as far off... but when you're in the room the humbucker guitar sounds WAY quieter if all you do is switch guitars.

This was a real eye opener for me after going years never owning a humbucker equipped guitar.

The Blues King 12 has a proprietary speaker and Supro doesn't list it's efficiency.. my guess is it's a low efficiency speaker designed to help the amp break up at lower volumes. That probably isn't helping things.

Alamo, cnlbb, oldfish and 2 others like this.
  16. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Everthing on 11 and perch your amp at ear's level.

Maguchi, sax4blues and Chiogtr4x like this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

I play sitting down, and for years I did a regular bar gig where ( I guess my own fault with setup) my Blues Jr. ( goosed with a Blues Driver, always ON) was right behind my head- blasting my ears. ( blues, R&R, Dead)

I would LOVE it during the gigs- but really pay for it the next day with ' sound pressure/volume ' headaches, even equilibrium issues. It was like a hangover- could not function.

Miss the gig! ( it normally would be coming up for Fat Tuesday) - but did change amp setup, to not kill myself ( plus playing quieter)

uriah1 and johnny k like this.
  18. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Sold mine.

19. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Of course but if you do it with a drummer and so on, you perch your amp to their ear's level and put ear plugs in yours.
    It is only fair, since they can't play quietly.

Maguchi, Fretting out and Chiogtr4x like this.
  20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I seem to be susceptible to this too. I don't have any hearing loss AFAIK, never gigged and I'm careful at home. But occasionally practicing/jamming things get loud and I get this effect. For me it hits the same day and is gone the next day though.

I keep ear plugs in my case now.. pretty paranoid about it. My only other real big hearing risk over the years was motorcycling, but I was super religious about ear plugs *every* time there. If the helmet was going on and the bike was going to be started the earplugs were going in. Mostly a wind noise issue.

johnny k and Chiogtr4x like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.