I Too Have Rediscovered My Love of The Bass.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Bones, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Last week, I picked up Squier P-Bass on CL for $50. Seemed like a cool score at the time, but we left right afterwards to go on vacation.

When we got home, I cleaned it up and fixed some of the bigger dings using the CA drop fill method, put on a set of old made in Germany "vintage" Fender tuners that I had laying around, rewired the whole thing with cloth covered wire, new full-sized pots, new jack, new knobs and shielded the cavity. Also cleaned and oiled the fretboard and polished the frets.

Damn thing played and sounded real good, but I didn't have a bass amp, so I was trying it out through a guitar amp into a 1x15 cabinet that I have.

This morning, I drove over to GC and picked up a Fender Rumble 40 and I am amazed at how great this $250 rig sounds!!!

Over the years, I had kind of for gotten about my love for the bass as I got more into guitar and the all engrossing associated obsessions that go along with it. I actually studied bass when I was younger with a NYC studio pro that had recorded with Buddy Rich and Frank Sinatra and played in many NY show orchestras. Really great and talented man, died of pancreatic cancer but kept teaching right to the end.

Anyway, when it became apparent that I was not going to be a rock star or studio pro, I switched over to guitar full time and began to take it more seriously and enjoyed being able to play songs and have them sound like the songs. Now, this cheap rig has really opened my eyes and ears to the bass again and the crazy thing is, I can actually play better now, songs I haven't thought of in years just flow right out like nothing. Even my GF said "WTF, you are way better at that than the guitar" and I'm actually pretty good on the guitar. The main thing is that it's fun and I'm giving my fingers a good workout. I have really big hands, the kind of hands that are probably made for playing bass and to play guitar can still be quite a challenge with certain chords.

Not ready to toss all my guitar stuff, but it's going to be fun getting to know the F clef again.

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I can relate to that. Even if I don't play bass in a while, I'm a bass player who can play guitar, not the other way round. The only thing I find is that playing bass gets pretty boring outside of practice if you're not either playing in a band or recording songs where bass is just part of the arrangement. I doubt that anyone has ever exclaimed, "let's sit round the camp fire with my bass and sing a few songs!"

Denton, John Nicholas and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Bones

Yes and that's why I have been playing guitar for so long, but then as it turns out, I don't sit around campfires playing my guitars either.

simoncroft likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Do you prefer round wound or flat wound strings?

5. Bones

I'm using round wound right now because it's what I always had and I wasn't sure that I wanted to spend as much for the strings as I did for the bass:confused:

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Anyone ever tried a fretless bass ? i had one for a while kept getting friction burns off the strings on my fingers

7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I have always liked playing bass (not great at it) and got myself a fender p-bass with the jazz neck and both p-bass and jazz pickups, mainly to help with making backing tracks that I could play guitar against, but also just for fun.
    I also didn’t have a bass amp for awhile, just using amp sims on my pc, but it’s just not as satisfying as feeling that thump, so I went down to GC and also came home with the Rumble 40... what a great-sounding little amp! And it weighs next to nothing.

8. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

Three nice classic rock bass tunes that are fun and doable for those learning to love the bass
    Walk on the wild side has two basses that you can tap or chord
    Tiran porter is my favorite bass player. Like the doobies or not,every bass line he played was great

simoncroft and Bones like this.
  9. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

Sorry

simoncroft likes this.
  10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for posting the tunes. I am just learning Squier SS Jaguar bass and Rumble 40.

IMG_20180706_161324878.jpg

11. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Oh dear, this is going to sound very show off! I've had several, of which the best was an Alembic Orion, and arguably the most fun was a fairly cheap fretless electro-acoustic bass. The only fretless I have now is a rather odd 5-string.

I've never had the problem with friction burns. I can only think you were going for excessive glissando and vibrato and/or had some very corroded strings. Nylon-wound flats will solve the problem though.

netgear69 likes this.
  12. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I've been playing bass in my band for years now even though I'm a guitar player through and through . Bass is a lot of fun though. Opens up the musical mind. And it also opens up a whole new world of GAS.

simoncroft likes this.
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There is one big advantage to being a bass player. A good bass player can get a gig.

Bones and simoncroft like this.
  14. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

You might be interested to hear this arrangement I put together. The bass part was created by playing it as a two-part harmony on an Ibanez electric bass (ATK-40). It was a bit overbearing, so I converted it to MIDI and used it to trigger double bass samples. All credit to the singer. She recorded her part in a kitchen using her phone!

RLee77 likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this like, the royal "we"?

Obsessed likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have that bass, and a Peavey TKO 115 to rock it through

17. Bones

no, me and my girl and dog.

18. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

I can listen to that all day, cheers

simoncroft likes this.
  19. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

yeah i was using flatwounds don't think they were nylon i should of stuck with and built some resistance up on my fingers the bass sounded cool very 1980's

simoncroft likes this.
  20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Oh man, the Peavey TKO 115 with a Black Widow was on the best sounding amps I have ever played for bass. The church I attended had it, and I was sorely put out when I showed up one day and the amp was replaced with a direct box. I asked about the amp and found out the music director sold it for $100 to someone. :(

and on the Fretless, flatwounds are your friend!

simoncroft and blowtorch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.