1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I thought I wanted a thumb rest...(sigh) regrets

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. Maybe I want a pull bar. My thinking is that playing bass fingerstyle will carry over to fingerstyle guitar playing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Very cool. If I had a band I'd kick out my bass player and find another bass player with a thumb rest like yours.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Pull bar:

[​IMG]

brookdalebill, broadcaster and Toast like this.
  4. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Afflicted

Tug bar...

brookdalebill and bargeon like this.
  5. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

^This...except I just learned using the "E" string from day one.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I missed this so I thought I would chime in.

I learned from the beginning the correct way to play bass with two fingers <snicker, like there is a right way?>

So on my MIM P Bass my thumb is anchored on the pickup itself and I pluck right over the top of the pup. I actually have rounded that shoulder off on the pup a little over the years.

On my '63 Custom which has the metal covers I actually anchor my thumb on the side of the neck where it meets the body. Yeah I know it is too far up to really sound good. Well for some reason that is the sweet spot for those low P Bass thumping notes. I can play right below the pup cover and it gets really sparkly so if I am playing hard and fast, something like RHCP that is where I would play or in some instances pick. But the rest of the time I am at the end of the neck.

Picture for reference. Oh and it has a tug bar too, that is what you use to adjust how the strap is setting on your shoulder or to adjust the bass when you are setting down so you don't have to touch the strings.

IMG_0798.JPG

7. Fourstringclover

Fourstringclover TDPRI Member

I also had this thought too after seeing it done on a j bass in a video. I eventually pulled the trigger and I'm so glad I did. I made a buibinga riser in between the soap bars to give a consistent feel between the two pups, as well as a rail that extends up to the neck. Now I can easily slide my right hand to change the attacking/tone like a guitar player would.

I should have had made the rail more narrow to be able to easily rest on the E string too, but hindsight, its 2020 now. I like to do a kind of hybrid of the fingers and thumb at times, sorta like guit-fingerpickn. Might cut it slimmer soon, but overall I am pleased with it. Just been trying to learn to not rest on the E for now at least.

Contimplating on doing an improved version on my new passive bass now.

Attached Files:

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I rest my thumb on the E string and use my thumb to pluck it, then use my index and middle fingers to pluck the A and D strings. I move my thumb down to the A string when I'm plucking the G with my middle finger. It makes muting easier for me too.

Kind of a hammer claw thing I carried over from learning guitar.

9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Years ago I found these dark brown tugbars that apparently were on some 60's and 70's Fenders. They come up at Reverb now and then but have gotten really expensive. They have more of a subdued look rather than the shiny black ones. Easily duplicated if desired. Taking some of the gloss off the black ones looks nice too. That's just me though.

IMG_2868 (2).JPG

IMG_2870 (2).JPG

10. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I have to laugh when someone say the right way or wrong way to play bass. I use thumb, index and middle finger. Play what is comfortable. I actually anchor my pinky. It’s just how I play and what works for me.

11. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I don't use one but for sake of completeness I'm fitting a tug bar to a P Bass build I've got in progress. It's ebony, made in 20 mins from a scrap piano key. Don't look too closely - pic taken before finish sanding and polishing.

20200615_171058.jpg

ADK Teleman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.