I thought I sold it! Nope... 25 years in a box ... the original modeler!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by codamedia, Jan 8, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

at 1:10 he stops talking and begins to explain and play.

nick0 and LPTyler like this.
  2. magicfingers99

the man and the machines:

nick0, LPTyler and Strat Jacket like this.
  3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

The patient has survived... 100% success!

Aside from the filter caps the switches and jacks all needed a good cleaning. The input gain knob snapped off in my hands when I tried to turn it :( but fortunately I had a 10K (spec value) mini bias pot in my part bin and retrofitted it into the box. The only difference is that I now need a mini screwdriver to adjust the input gain... I can live with that.

It sounds exactly as I remember... and as my old recordings confirm. The clean channels are still useless with single coils (way to thin and shrill) but sound great with humbuckers. The EDGE is still my favorite setting with any style of pickup and the distortion is still over the top but fun :lol:

The unit is actually a lot quieter than I remember it being. I wonder if the power supply contributed to the noise? Sure there is some hiss in distortion mode... but no different than coaxing high gain out of any piece of gear. (IMO of course)

In distortion mode yes, but in edge mode I always found the Rockman X-100 extremely versatile. Now it is fixed and I got to hear that mode again I'm certain I'll find some use for it here and there while recording.

magicfingers99 likes this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I had the two matching half sized rack mount units back in the day. They sounded better than the standard original Rockman, ruh4xnl7abini4jsugjb.jpg which I also had before them.

codamedia likes this.
  5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I remember having a Rockman. I hated the sounds that it produced, some of which may have been my fault, but most were the Rockman's fault.

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Bought a 2C long ago, still use it, great headphone amp.

7. magicfingers99

but if you hung them both off the same side of your belt it caused you to lean into your solos and sometimes you'd get stuck on a note and the bass player would have to bump you like a stuck record player to get you back onto things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.