I thought I knew where this was going - but then...

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Sounds good tintag.
Thank you for that kind comment!
This surprised me in one way... because of noise considerations to my nice neighbours, I alway write and mix on headphones. When I am happy with the sound I then try and achieve a mix that sounds good on my small M-Audio studio monitors. That is usually not much fun at all, as it usually requires a lot of adjustments to make it sound as good as the headphone mix... however, this time it only required minimal changes - that's never happened before!

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
From 1:15 to 2:40 you've laid down a track that, while very cool in and of itself, doesn't fit the theme of the rest of the song parts. It would be beautiful in a separate composition but detracts rather than adds to the piece currently being worked on. This is just my opinion. I write music so I understand how it works. I'm just sayin'

klasaine

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
From 1:15 to 2:40 you've laid down a track that, while very cool in and of itself, doesn't fit the theme of the rest of the song parts. It would be beautiful in a separate composition but detracts rather than adds to the piece currently being worked on. This is just my opinion. I write music so I understand how it works. I'm just sayin'
I love how that part works. IMO - it's very 'cinematic'.
It's instrumental music. I personally dig the detour.
Carry on.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I agree that it's a wonderful part but I just don't think it's a match for the rest of the piece. You've got something very "Eric Johnsonish" going and then you introduce something Satch, Paisley or Vai might come up with. It's beautiful but could be used to better purpose in it's own piece. I'm saying nothing negative. I know it's easy to go beyond the limits of a songs "sweet spot". You've got a great mind for quality guitar parts. I was just saying separating the part in question from the rest of the piece could result in two pieces that exceed the first! I'm not dissing you. I'm on your side. You're coming up with great stuff. I'm saying that great stuff doesn't automatically fit with other great stuff. Your mind is cranking out killer guitar parts. Your "self" is trying to use them all at once. Don't dismiss or delete the wonders you come up with but, instead, learn to pick and choose between what truly works best and what should remain in the "my stuff" folder for use at another time.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I'm hearing this as a stream of consciousness that takes us along for a short ride through whatever you were thinking about at that time. Nice departures in appropriate places where it was just time to move on from the previous thought. It doesn't strike me as a song at all. It is simply something you laid down. Spontaneous, raw, melodic, worth the trip. Nice job.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I agree that it's a wonderful part but I just don't think it's a match for the rest of the piece. You've got something very "Eric Johnsonish" going and then you introduce something Satch, Paisley or Vai might come up with. It's beautiful but could be used to better purpose in it's own piece. I'm saying nothing negative. I know it's easy to go beyond the limits of a songs "sweet spot". You've got a great mind for quality guitar parts. I was just saying separating the part in question from the rest of the piece could result in two pieces that exceed the first! I'm not dissing you. I'm on your side. You're coming up with great stuff. I'm saying that great stuff doesn't automatically fit with other great stuff. Your mind is cranking out killer guitar parts. Your "self" is trying to use them all at once. Don't dismiss or delete the wonders you come up with but, instead, learn to pick and choose between what truly works best and what should remain in the "my stuff" folder for use at another time.
Thank you - I respect your opinions, and one of the reasons I am on this forum is because are so many diverse viewpoints here...
All my 'sketches' are journeys without destinations. I don't really have much control over where I end up - I have very little traditional music theory to structure a work, but I enjoy the process of creation.
Music is so subjective and our tastes seldom chime with other peoples tastes, but I am fine with that...

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
This is superb recording, and your guitar playing is excellent.
I love the tone of your guitar.
Well done.
Rene
Thanks, Rene! I was having trouble with the guitar at first. It was harsh and uninspiring, so I stopped fighting it and started experimenting with the controls. Almost by accident I realised that if I turned the volume and the tone way down, it sounded much sweeter. I also dialed in more compression than I usually use, and less drive...

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I love how that part works. IMO - it's very 'cinematic'.
It's instrumental music. I personally dig the detour.
Carry on.
That is well put - some of my favourite musicians are scorewriters - and of course I can't sing!

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm hearing this as a stream of consciousness that takes us along for a short ride through whatever you were thinking about at that time. Nice departures in appropriate places where it was just time to move on from the previous thought. It doesn't strike me as a song at all. It is simply something you laid down. Spontaneous, raw, melodic, worth the trip. Nice job.
A good description... I could never write a real song, but I have plenty of fun scribbling away in GarageBand

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
That is well put - some of my favourite musicians are scorewriters - and of course I can't sing!
Marc Bonilla has written a huge amount of TV and movie scores. This cut is from his first album 28 years ago. Among the very best players I've ever heard. Keith Emerson is playing piano on this track as well...

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Marc Bonilla has written a huge amount of TV and movie scores. This cut is from his first album 28 years ago. Among the very best players I've ever heard. Keith Emerson is playing piano on this track as well...

Hey, thanks for that - Mark Bonilla is a new name for me!
Brilliant track, (and respect to the bass player for keeping up with that rapid-fire guitar work)!
I do know Keith Emerson of course, I saw him play in The Nice, on the Jimi Hendrix Tour - a lifetime ago...