I thought I had seen everything, now "fact" as marketing hype...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Agh everybody is missing the point. Wendy’s said the quiet part out loud.

They could just as easily have said
    “Made to stimulate a desire to eat too much”

but then you lose the assonance

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    nojazzhere and DrPepper like this.
  2. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Did you hear about Ronald McDonald getting arrested?

I haven’t got all the details, but it had something to do with a Quarter Pounder and Wendy’s Hot and Juicy...

:eek:

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I once knew a girl with a Good and Plenty shirt...her mother said it pays to advertise. I'll let myself out.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Sorry but I can’t sign on to the idea that common sense is all that common.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Let the buyer beware.

Obsessed and Tommy Biggs like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree completely....it's not.
    Now, please explain why the brilliant minds in advertising do what they do.....and if another "tack" was just as if not more effective, why they wouldn't be following that? Trust me....EVERYONE says they're not affected or influenced by advertising, and yet it works. Coincidence????? ;)

7. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

No doubt it’s effective on most everyone. It’s the degree to which it is effective that makes the difference.

8. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

fast food isn t food, it s actually anti matter...

9. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Advertising does work and for most of us we can see through the BS and buy the product we want. If I'm looking for a box of washing powder, sure, some names will stick in my mind and I may buy one but that's as far as it goes.
    But....I once had a work mate who was so influenced by advertising he would buy the most random stuff he didn't need (or want) because of the advertising. He brought into work a small fine haired brush with a bulb at the back that you squeezed to create a suction effect. he said it was a vacuum for a camera lens. I asked what camera he had and he said he didn't own a camera, he was just sucked in by the advertisement.
    My step daughter is the same with beauty products, it's quite frightening to think she believes the rubbish they claim.

nojazzhere and Tommy Biggs like this.
  10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking they might be getting a letter from White Castle's lawyers.

11. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

What really annoys me with TV ads are the one where some poor soul is filmed in black and white, struggling to do an ordinary everyday task, which humanity has done for years, they then get magic product X and life becomes simple again and back in glorious technicolour. Said poor soul is then left smiling like they have been given the secret of life.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Ever noticed in car commercials when they drive through mud or snow or whatever, the car doesn’t have a speck of dirt on it?

nojazzhere and Tommy Biggs like this.
  13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Speaking of craving, my advertising story:

This one is copyright 2020 E.R. aka "muchxs", presented for critique or commentary.

We used to sell late night studio time to the advertising industry. For all I know we gave it away and wrote it off. They did. The agencies would send a buncha suits over and then write if off as if it were Pepsi commercials featuring Michael Jackson.

These were the sessions "This is your brain" sprang from.

We sat in a pit behind the console. Clients were up on a riser behind us. They had a client table with a 3/4" tempered glass top almost as large as a sheet of plywood. The glass top was cut to a gentle radius on the client side.

The sadist who designed the studio designed the supports so they would dig you right in the cartilage of your knees when you swiveled in the expensive leather chairs.

The architect didn't build it. I / we built it which is how I came to be sitting there in a PFADFA session.

I got through it paddling rivers of coffee. Lotta folks used stronger stuff.

We took a break in the wee hours of the morning. They were probably calling out "Last Call!" in the NYC bars. I wandered across the hall to our little blacked out kitchenette for another cup of burnt Mocha Java.

The suits from the ad agencies had arranged the most cocaine I've ever seen into a snake pit of powder boa constrictors on the client table. All asses and elbows, they were Hoovering enormous lines off the glass.

My life was punctuated by "cusp" moments, turning points when the little light bulb lit up over my head.

"Wait. WAIT! I get it! You mothertruckers are hypocrites!!!"

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    aging_rocker, Fendereedo and Deeve like this.
  14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It only works if you're inclined to buy that particular product.

I see ads for fast food joints all the time. I haven't had any of it in years, because I cut it out of my diet.

It is pretty interesting to see how they're pitching stuff sometimes, though. Still ain't buying it.

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I mean, not that I would disagree. But does anyone else find it funny and/or a bit ironic for an advertising trade association to make an ad about... advertising?

No, advertising cannot make me buy what I don't need. Or want. It can't make me do anything. But in this case, it can't make me care enough to trust advertising anymore than I already do. Which is zilch.

Advertising is another word for freedom of choice? I mean, really? Other than they have the freedom to make advertisements, and I have the freedom to ignore them, I'm not really seeing the connection.

In other words, propaganda.

It should be something along the lines of:

"Advertising. Another word for obfuscation".

"Advertising. Another word for propaganda".

"Propaganda. Another word for 'freedom'".

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Advertising works on some aspect of our lizard brain, that we simply do not understand.

Take these Odious duluth trading TV advertisements. I hate them with a nuclear passion and I will put down a book and grab the remote, and change the TV station and I wasn't even really following the program. Heck, it may have even been on mute.

But as we drive down I-565 outside Huntsville, we pass a brick and mortar duluth trading location and I can clearly feel a strong impulse to get off, and go in and look around. This shouldn't be possible, based on what we know - but like a UFO, there it is.

This is like O J Simpson and Nicole Brown. I think at some level they both knew right at the start, this would end in Mutually Assured Destruction. But all the warnings were ignored anyway. It could well be that Mike Hughes is not the only person with a death wish. I know stopping at that duluth trading store would only end in something bad happening - but the pull is there, and I am wondering if we maybe need to find a new route to The Cabin.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

is it Cherolet that used the tagline:
    Professional Grade?

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe I should expand a little on my point......advertising "probably" won't make a man feel the urge to buy L'Oreal products, or a woman to purchase a Craftsman tool, (I guess that's a little sexist, sorry) but ads are meant to make name and brand recognition easy. I'm not going to go in to buy feminine products for myself, but if a woman asked me to pick up something, I'd probably get the Tampax or Kotex brand, simply because those are the names I recognize. Advertising is probably a mixture of "creating" want or desire.....and placing a name so that, if we eventually want an item, we'll "choose" that particular brand.
    And I still maintain.....anyone who DENIES that advertising doesn't work on them (to one degree or another) is probably just fooling themselves.

19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

But is that succumbing to advertising, or just practicing brand loyalty/familiarity? I'll cop to buying, say, D'Addario strings over a brand I'm unfamiliar with. Or Snap-On Tools over some other brand, or even Gibson or Fender guitars over an unknown brand (although that's definitely changed for me over the past few years). When I smoked cigarettes, I smoked Marlboros.

Maybe some of that was ingrained by advertising, the choice of smokes probably moreso than the other examples. But OTOH, Snap-On and Gibson and D'Addario have given me good results for a long time, and I'm more inclined to go with the tried and true over taking a flyer on an unknown where the results may not be as good.

I'm partial to Gibson and Fender, but is their advertising convincing me to run right out and buy a new Vintera or one of those Tonemaster amps or a CS Lester? Not really. Again, it's interesting to look at, but if I don't need it, advertising isn't going to coerce me into buying it.

- D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Took me a minute.. Lol

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.