I think somebody re hatched SRV

middy

Friend of Leo's
First, it’s great to see the “classics” covered by young guitarists today. Bravo! He obviously spent many practice hours perfecting the nuances of the piece. I wish him well on his musical journey.

Having said that, he is in the end no different than a classical guitarist perfecting a Segovia transcription of a Bach piece. I could post a video of a young classical guitarist just nailing a very difficult Bach transcription “note for note” but most here would not make the connection to a “note for note” recitation of “Little Wing” on a Strat. The same can be said of a 12 year old classical violinist playing a Paganini piece flawlessly and a 12 year old guitarist playing “Eruption” flawlessly.

Finally, I prefer hearing live albums by bands because in most cases they DON’T play a song “note for note” but often take chances and switch up the arrangement to make it more interesting. Both Jimi and SRV did that…
There’s a difference between learning a classical piece and copying a stylist.
What would be your reaction to a “jazz musician” who managed to sound just like Miles Davis?

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
This dude is pretty mind blowing imo, I mean we’ve all probably watched countless SRV covers on YouTube but this guy has to be the best yet or that I’ve ever seen…. Just wow, wish he’d dress like a pirate for the icing on the cake.
Full agreement. Wow, that's crazy impressive. He nails those delicate double-stops and string scrapes, not to mention every other beautiful nuance.

stormin1155

Tele-Holic
Wow! The guy is really a fantastic player! I really enjoyed listening to him. Clean, crisp playing, great tone... he really nails it! Stevie played it like his very life depended on it.... like his very soul was on the line. That one little thing is the only thing missing here.... just that one little thing....

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I'm not a big SRV fan.

I appreciated his talent... even saw him in '83 at the York, PA Fair.

(Actually, I prefer Jimmy Vaughan.)

So, this guy (OP) is very good.

I think it's really important that he should step out of the SRV niche; and forge his own path.

I have a friend that gave up a serious solo career to play guitar in one of the top 3-4 acts in the world.

Sure he's made good and consistent $$$$ for 30+ years as a sideman.

But, I know he'll always wonder "what if?"

imo.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Wow! The guy is really a fantastic player! I really enjoyed listening to him. Clean, crisp playing, great tone... he really nails it! Stevie played it like his very life depended on it.... like his very soul was on the line. That one little thing is the only thing missing here.... just that one little thing....

Umm, one other little thing; SRV played it on heavy strings: .013, .015, .019, .028, .038, and .058. Just sayin'.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
He's good but.....

....all my pet peeves that make me hate, he does them all. Goofy, pretentious "guitar faces" and head shaking. Raking the strings before a single note bend. Playing an endless "look at me" lead solo and no damned song. Playing a Strat, yuk! Don't know why but I usually can't stand the sound of a Strat. I didn't watch but a few seconds, did he also throw in some sweep picking? I had to bail before that happened or I'd have yacked.

Yeah, I know, I'm a grumpy old man...get offa muh lawn.

Last edited:

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I can't criticize the skill the guy has, but...I simply cannot imagine putting in that much time and effort to parrot (not just be influenced by) someone else. I feel like I would wake up one day and realize I had somewhat wasted my time. Of course, this could possibly be just one of the tricks in this guy's bag. Who knows?

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I can't criticize the skill the guy has, but...I simply cannot imagine putting in that much time and effort to parrot (not just be influenced by) someone else.

I concur. Kind of feel the same about cover bands. Not just doing some covers at a bar gig, I get that, I mean the whole dress up like them and play their songs, copy their mannerisms, etc. I find it...just...weird. Creepy even.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
What would be your reaction to a “jazz musician” who managed to sound just like Miles Davis?
standing ovation 2.jpeg

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
There’s a difference between learning a classical piece and copying a stylist.

The OP guy isn’t just copying a stylist - he’s playing most of the piece note for note but also playing with the style (and guitar tone) of SRV. If the notes aren’t correct, then it won’t sound like “Little Wing”.

Even in the classical guitar world, there are different playing styles e.g. the Segovia Spanish style versus say the Barrios South American style. My overall point is that playing a piece of music with excellence takes dedication to details and that can be found in both rock and classical music.