I think my 12" Celestion Gold is dying...

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Mhat, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

My 12" Celestion Gold started giving me intermittent crackling and light distortion then quickly progressed to no output then back to playing normal then no output and so on. I spend the rest of the night going through my Princeton Reverb clone checking for cold solder joints and changing tubes thinking it was the amp. I then came to the realization to swap speaker using the same speaker wire and the issue completely went away. I'm thinking it's the internal wiring to the speaker itself as if I slightly touch the back of the cone, the speaker will cut out.

I've never had any speaker issues before so I'm new at this. Is this something that would require a re-cone? If it's just a loose wiring connection, could a local speaker shop repair it? I bought this used so I don't have a warranty for it. I really love this speaker and it breaks my heart to have it die on me.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When that happened to me (different speaker) it was corrosion on the speaker leads/connection. Couldn't see it until you removed them. Prevented full connection. So amp could start fine then cut out as it warmed up and speaker moved or vice-versa. Have you put it back since trying the other speaker. Could be just removing the Gold and re-soldiering the connections for the other soaker took care of the "crud". So maybe clean the connectors, lead and speaker side, and try the Gold again? Maybe you'll get lucky and acts all it is.

3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I've had voice coil lead issues cause problems in the past.

Once it was a problem at the lead to voice coil connection at the cone. I've also had a couple that the lead itself was nearly broken somewhere along its length. I suspect that in those cases the speaker rebuilders had soldered the leads a bit short with too much overlap at the terminal and/or voice coil ends and mechanical stress did the rest.

4. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

IMG_2575.jpg

It's hard to clearly see the entire length of the tinsel wire in the photos, but I don't believe there's a break anywhere I can see from inspecting it. I'm assuming it's the connection on the voice coil. I'll probably give a speaker repair shop a call to take from here. I'm all about DYI, but I don't want to mess up my speaker.

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

A recone is cheap compared to a new speaker, and having a voice coil go open is bad. Really bad (and expensive) in a single speaker amp. You did right taking it in for repair.

6. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

Yeah my gold has a date on Monday afternoon with a repair shop. I'll update once I know the issue.

7. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

It ended up being the lead to the voice coil. Wes at TexaSound was able to fix it at a very reasonable price. He was a very cool and friendly guy. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I highly recommend him for your speaker repair needs in Austin.

On the flip side I had approached Austin Speaker Works about the repair and only received a short and curt reply that I'd need it reconed. Just the tone from those guys made me go elsewhere.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Glad you found a good guy.

The guy in my small town that fixes my speakers is a lazy jerk, does my amps too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.