I think Jimi Page guitar prowness

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teleman1, Jan 21, 2020.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

is far below than his public image. Now you kow where I stand. However, I had found this and thought, this is a good as Page has ever played. What do you think?

2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I have a bootleg around the same time in a London club and they were also playing and sounding as well as in this video.

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I'm a Page fan, but not particularly of his live playing - but that was pretty good and great tone as well.

Bassman8 and Jim W like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Me and my high school freshman buddies were all shaken to the core when these guys came out. That vid reflects that era in my mind so well. Jimmy and plant were so incredible together and it really shows in that vid.

Frontier9, Georox and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

IMO: ‘60s pre-Zep Page was excellent. Once he got his own band, he immediately went downhill. By the time he was playing a Paul, he had became pretty insufferable. I can still dig the first album, though, and a good deal of the second. He is highly overrated for his work in Zeppelin, and highly underrated for his work before.

6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I bow to your logic!

7. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Here's the whole show. The mighty Zeppelin hammering a stake into the heart of the 1960s.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

They do a show at Randwick race course in Sydney. It’s on the DVD It’s superb

The pope appeared the week before. By all accounts his version of whole lotta love was reminiscent of the willie Dixon original. He waited on rock and roll though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Yeah, Page's playing was excellent up unril about 72 then he did sort of start going down in playing and tone for me, with certain shows being exceptions of course.

And this show, very early 69, was before Plant lost his original voice. Nobody can listen to this and go listen to Madison Square Garden in 73 and even say he sounds anywhere near as good or the same with a straight face. Dude's original voice left him by 72. And signs had been showing even a bit earlier. Just listen to shows in 71. You can literally hear the guy decaying and he knows it so he goes full force. His voice is pretty amazing in 71. Sort of a unique year for them.

For example, listen to the Live BBC Sessions from April 71 then go listen to How The West Was Won from June of 72. While the BBC sessions weren't quite the same as his 68 or 70 voice it was still his original voice with power and sounded good. By How The West Was Won, it was not even close.

For me Led Zeppelin is actually 2 bands. 68 to 71ish and 72ish to 80. After Plant's voice changed the band changed and also instead of him rocking out on stage he started doing his mannerisms and basically became a character. Both bands have their place but I much prefer 68 to 71ish.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    tonyj and 5595bassman like this.
  10. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I got to see Zepp live at Kooyong Stadium in Melbourne Australia. It must have been around 1971. Was my first "real" concert experience. Page live in the early days was mind blowing to me, and now that I play I really appreciate his commitment to the live performance. His later career didn't do near as much I have to agree, for me. The following week I saw my second live concert. Black Sabbath at the same stadium.

No wonder I wanted to play guitar after that experience ... took me another 5 or 6 years to get myself started and buy the gear. Had a band up and running that same year. We made it as far as a couple of local radio stations for about 2 or 3 weeks. That was as high a waterline as I managed. Made an EP and an album. Still have about 350 of them in a milk crate in my mates garage.

Now I'm a year into learning to play after 35 years in a guitar free zone. Weird. Backwards. Insane.

11. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

One of the great bands of the time.

Ian T, Macrogats and pickaguitar like this.
  12. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

Page is a guitarist I have enjoyed probably more than all the others. There are plenty of haters on this forum (and elsewhere). His skill and style are top notch. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I don't want or need to convince anyone to feel any differently than they do about Page. He's a riff machine and extremely musical. His success (and that of Led Zeppelin) speaks for itself.

mally, Macrogats, Frontier9 and 3 others like this.
  13. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

His prowness may be overrated, but not his prowess, IMO... :D

14. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I always kinda thought Page was the man more for his vision and production (ability to put together the right band and great songs) in Led Zeppelin than for virtuosity as a player. I do consider him a great player, but not "the greatest".

15. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

What is the name of the boot?

16. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

First off, I think I never thought of Page as a true virtuosic guitar player. I still wish I had his chops! However, there are some unbelievable players out there. Having said that, during the Zep tenure his song writing, producing, and arranging were 2nd to none. A complete package.

OK, so like others I've never been too impressed by his live playing. Even some of the great soloing from Dazed and Confused and No Quarter on The Song Remains the Same were studio overdubs.

Yet, early Zep, probably the pre-party like hell days, they sounded great. I remember as a kid hearing a live Zep concert on the radio with interviews. I believe some of this made it to the BBC Sessions album some 28 years later. The commentator made a comment about how perfect they sounded, how other rock bands of the era weren't so clean, and how three instruments filled so much space. Rightly so, I don't recall a single mistake. It was like album ready.

I will also say that the Unleaded show, Page and Plant, was fantastic. They had a whole backup band, including other guitarists, that allowed the produced versions of the songs to be played.

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Plant sings like Tom Jones. Once you notice it you can't un-hear it

sugarinthegourd likes this.
  18. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I humbly disagree..

He was a highly competent studio player with an entire career of work pre LZ but NONE approaches his LZ work. Not sure under rated is true, perhaps forgotten but he was always acknowledged for his sessions work before and after. LZ cast a pretty big shadow...

While Houses of the Holy sounds nothing like LZ1 it's still an amazing achievement few if any bands approached. In fact LZ1 sound like about 20 other albums and if a one off record would be lost to history with a host of hard rock bands! A foot note of power trio bands that were the norm in the late 60's.

Page's talents are well beyond guitar player and extend to riff monster and production genius. Presence gets a bad rap but has some stunning cuts that have not been replicated. I can spin it more than LZ1!

Page was able to make monsters in studio like none before and pretty much since. Despite Stairway being almost a joke when was the last time you blasted it on a good stereo? I just did and it still rocks to the core!

I'll agree they let success get to their head and In Through The Outdoor is impossible to listen to. Reality is most bands have a 5-7 year run of greatness which is what LZ had. They then seem to get bored and decide to mix it up with usually disastrous results.

Post LZ, the Firm etc was the depths of self indulgence and sloppy playing for Page.

Macrogats, OldPup and Lawdawg like this.
  19. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I dearly love his studio work (esp. his playing on LZ II and IV), but, sadly I have to agree with Eddie Van Halen's rather cruel quote 'Live, he sometimes plays like a 10 year old with a broken hand.'

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    stevemc, Hatfield92, Foxguy and 5 others like this.
  20. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I can't remember, especially since my wife erased the table of contents of a couple of 100< 90 min cassette tapes. But I think it is in London.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.