1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I think I've been demoted

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by vedt, Aug 28, 2014.

1. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

Three years ago, I started playing lead electric 2-3 times per month in my home church band. This past spring our worship pastor decided to take a sabbatical and work on some other musical projects, so I was asked to serve as worship co-leader 2-3 times per month, and so we hired a new guy to fill in on lead electric. Our WP is back from his sabbatical, and so I thought things would go back to normal, with me playing lead electric most weeks, but also perhaps leading some Sundays.

I just got the fall schedule and this is not at all the case. Instead, I will neither be playing lead electric nor leading worship, but rather playing second acoustic (we've NEVER had two acoustics) a few Sundays. I know I should be excited to serve, but having two acoustics seems pointless and boring to me.

What's your perspective and what would you do/say if you were in my shoes?

2. JohnnyDev

JohnnyDev TDPRI Member

An open and frank discussion with your worship pastor would be the first step, I'd say. Then at least you could get a better idea of the decision-making process.

But I do feel for you in that situation - it must be a very disconcerting experience.

However, hang in there & try to gracefully keep the channels of communication open and see where that takes you ...

3. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

I'd find a new church/band
    2nd acoustic player would suck compared to lead electric guitarist lol

4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I feel for you. First, pray for guidance. Secondly, when you feel ready, have a discussion with your WL. Be honest, open, and direct. Ask the questions you want answers to. Do not turn it into an argument. Leave with enough knowledge to make an informed decision. Pray. Make a plan. Stick with the plan.

5. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Hi, I haven't looked in here before so I know its not my place to comment really, but I just wondered about this comment.
    If the first thing to do is pray for guidance, then I presume that guidance will follow from the one prayed to. So it seems contrary to say Pray for guidance - and then immediately give some guidance.

If the answer is to pray for guidance then isn't that the whole answer?
    and in fact, couldn't the thread end there?

Only wondering out loud (not trolling) ok.

Love Eddie.

6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Pray, but don't wait. Go talk to the Worship Pastor immediately. On the face of it, something does not seem right. If the leadership has issues with you, they should have come to you and had a conversation before doing what they have done. I would want to know what their reasoning is, and I don't think that there is anything wrong in being critical of their reasoning and the process they have started.

At best it appears that they have simply not thought through the impact of institutional change on their people. At worst, they have abdicated a crucial role and responsibility of biblical leadership. I would want to know which it is, because it would pretty much decide my next step.

7. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Are you a paid church musician and need the money? If so, if it were me I would do what the WL asked. I think it would be a good idea to talk with the WL and find out what his long term vision for the group was, where and how he derived that position, and how you fit in. If satisfied with his answers accept and follow his vision. If not, then I most likely would say I need to take a sabbatical to work on some other music projects.

However, at some point the WL will most likely need a fill-in. Do you think there is anyone else that he would call on?

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I love you too Eddie.

9. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

+1 for speak with the worship pastor directly, as that's the biblical way to handle a dispute. Hopefully he'll give you an honest line of reasoning. If he doesn't, then it's a good idea to talk with the lead pastor and other staff, taking care to be genuine rather than argumentative (which would unfortunately be my default).

Have there been any other worship team changes since the sabbatical?

CHAD

10. Chubby Biscuit

Chubby Biscuit TDPRI Member

As a WL myself, I am guessing here, that your worship leader most likely changed his musical vision during the sabbatical rather than having a personal issue and demoting you. I would talk with him for sure. I have seen too many times where great musicians end up leaving the Church because they felt "demoted" or were not being used where they felt the strongest. All of us worship leaders think everyone shares our same vision until someone tells us otherwise. We are dumb like that.

11. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

yeah being demoted is harsh but being asked to
    fill in with another instrument is someone being
    aware of your many facets of talent.

I'd say buck up and tear it up on that acoustic!

12. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

We also had a sudden change of direction towards the beginning of summer when our WL for 5 years was "transitioned out" as he does not fit the vision that the church have. still not sure what that vision is, though, except that we hardly have electric guitars on Sundays. I was scheduled 4 times within the summer to play acoustic once, bass twice and an electric once (because we have a guest WL that wanted to have an electric guitar). We had a time where we had 2 acoustic guitars as well ... it's strange.

Anyway, enough with my own problems :)

Have a conversation with the WL and decide based on that. I personally had a conversation with our pastor and decided to stick around to see where it leads.

I feel for you.

13. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

I would suspect a change in vision like someone else mentioned, but that would have or should have come with a casting meeting, i.e. "Here's where we've been, and I believe that God is calling us in this new direction stylistically..."

It could also be, though I doubt it, that the WP is re-humbling you to servanthood after months of being the co-head honcho. He may be thinking "Now that he's had a taste of leadership can go back to just being a member of the chords 'n' rhythm gang with no spotlight?" You're now in no way lead anything. :rolleyes: Is the other co-leader still leading?

It could also be that he doesn't want to lose the fresh meat that you brought in on lead guitar. Or the higher-ups wanted two acoustics and the WP felt you'd be more receptive than the newer guy, or maybe he found out that the other guy doesn't own a quality acoustic...

pray. discuss. decide. act.

14. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

I say leave it in Gods hand and do the best you can. Be thankful you are still playing. The reason I am saying that is because 20 years ago I had my left wrist broke and splinter. I was told I would maybe never play again, but by Gods mercy I was able and I am a Lead player. I have to hold the guitar a little different and had to relearn my little finger. Then I went blind for couple years tru a doctor and God I got my sight back. I have played worship since the early 80's and I am 63 years old and play guitar and bass now and still playing worship. If I had to quit now I have had a wonderful gig with the Lord, and I would play at home and maybe on the street. So I would say give it to God and be very humble do the best you can, and you be the one you be the man of God. Because from what has happen to me if God wants you to play dude you will play somewhere. I have played big venues outside, Christian Rock, Metal, Southern Gospel, Contemporary just be thankful and give everything to God. Go to worship leader and thank him , and tell him what ever he needs he can come to you.

15. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

What happened to the hired electric player? In my experience in large and small churches for more than 20 years, it is not appropriate to do such things without a prior personal discussion. That is part of what should separate the church from the corporate world. Of course, even in the corporate world taking actions like this leads to morale problems and worse. There is no biblical rationale for non relational moves like this.

16. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A lack of simple communication is also a problem in every organization. I agree that the matter needs to be brought up over a coffee. Hopefully it's a misunderstanding that can be resolved easily.

I also think there is a trend away from lead guitar and soloing in newer worship. It's more about supporting the song harmonically. What Hillsong United is doing with songs like Oceans is one example.

17. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

It's hard not to take this situation personally, but do your best not to. Getting an explanation from the leadership probably won't change anything. It may make you feel better...or worse. This is one of those times where you have been humbled and perhaps tested. It's all part of a greater plan. Take it for what it is and pray about it. The light will shine through to you. Take it from someone whose Praise Band dissolved about two months ago. At least your still playing.

18. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Our church is going to launch a second site this month, and I have been blessed with the chance to oversee the worship ministry over there.

Instantly I went from leading from and playing electric regularly, to gonna be playing acoustic most weekends on small teams, until we build up our roster some more.

It's not ideal, and my pride felt the sting for sure, but I'm trying to look at it as a way to be taught something out of my comfort zone.

19. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I like your style!
    ;)

20. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Thankfully, we still Paul Baloche, Travis Cottrell, and Lincoln Brewster...

On topic, if you leave, then I see it as ego and not heart. I would stay and pray. Seek God in this and pray for wisdom. It might well be the worship leader's grand new vision or it might be God moving you and even possibly testing your heart. That's happened to me more than a few times before. I believe that we, as Christians, or secular, get caught in our comfort zones and don't like change; but change comes in two forms - change that we like and welcome and change that we are resistant to.

The first change, what I like to call good change happens when we're called to act more. We are given greater responsibility and/or authority. Most of the time, we welcome that.

The second change is more like what you are going through. We are moved into any area we didn't necessarily want to be in. Sometimes it's the humanity of the leaders to do this and sometimes it's God moving and growing us in His way.

I know that my worship pastor came to me and said we are not doing electric guitars anymore, I would be greatly disappointed. I am an electric player. I don;t have much interest in playing acoustic guitar. That's an honest emotion and God doesn't want us to hide our feelings; especially from Him. He knows them anyway. That said, I also know of a really nice acoustic/electric Yamaha nylon string guitar that I would now have an excuse to buy.

Like everyone else who is serving musically, we have to remember that it's not about us, it's about "them". It's about helping to bring the house into worship. People who come to a worship service, some are so broken they can hardly make it out of bed; but something brought them in and we as worship leaders (guitarists, drummers, pastors, vocalists, etc.) have to remember that. It's our humanity that makes feel uncomfortable with any change. That's okay though. It's how we're "wired". It's what we do about it that God wants to see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.