1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I think I'm gonna combine two guitars to make one ideal one.... (strats) squier and starcaster

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by FortyEight, Oct 31, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

These are both strats but I figured I'd post in here cuz one is a squier and one is a Fender starcaster....

I like a little something about each of these so I plan to combine the things I like into one and then use the other one as the back up....

I like the body of my sunburst starcaster. It's closer to full size and I like the looks better. That's about the only thing I like more about that one.... LOL.

The Squier has a way better feeling neck, the tuners seem like they stay in tune better despite that they are the cheaper, unsealed kind, and the saddle screws are so much more comfy and don't scratch me up. Although it sounds like you can file and sand them down....

I posted this over at strat talk and the one thing someone brought up that might be a good thing to do is shim the neck to raise the bridge up a little. I guess this is a normal mod to do. They are pretty low to the body right now... Anyone ever do that?

And one last thing, I'm thinking about just doing 1 pup in the either the neck or bridge. I have a dimarzio humbucker, single coil size. I'm a bit unsure as to where I'd like it best.

But I like things simple and I'm curious as to how I would like a set up with just one pick up. I mean my bass is that way. LOL. I know I know, not quite the same thing. LOL. But I like the idea of not having a switch in the way and getting rid of the closest knob cuz I even hit that one sometimes when strumming.

What you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Closer to "full size?" If both guitars aren't the same scale, you'll have intonation issues. Otherwise, bolt-on guitars are like Legos. Have fun!

3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

If there’s enough wire on the pickup you could pretty simply try it in all three positions.

middle is a pretty underrated position.

But all three can be pretty great. There a arguments for all three and it depends on the music you’re playing if course.

which position do you spend the most time in?

Personally a while back I found myself on the neck scared of the bridge so I bought an Esquire me break through.

FortyEight likes this.
  4. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Sorry, that was probably confusing. I just meant in thickness. The squire is 1.6" and the Starcaster is 1.7"

Here's an interesting tidbit, I went by music go round and picked up a black pickguard. It's got a Fender tag on it so I think its a genuine Fender. The dude that worked there said, well if it's a Fender Pickguard it'll fit a Fender guitar and if it's a Squier it needs a Squier pickguard. For the screws to line up and all. Well to my eyebells it looks dead nuts on with the Squier and the Fender Starcaster has different screw spacing in spots.

I wanted it for the Starcaster but I think it will actually make my black one look better. So if I can do this all properly the Squier will be black / black with a maple neck. Which to me will look really good. And I think I'll just keep the white pickguard on the Starcaster and with the rosewood neck it should look decent. Plus it's a 3 ply pickguard. The current pickguard on the Squire is a single ply.

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I'm in the same boat as you. I use the neck a LOT on both my strat and Teles. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and use the bridge more on the Tele. But I find myself boosting the bass a bunch and turning down the treble a LOT. And even still have the tone down on the guitar. LOL.

I did a solo in one of my songs with the Starcaster on the bridge and I liked it a lot. It fit the solo well. But that one has the bridge wired to the tone knob and I had it turned down a bunch. I don't like it so trebly. I'm pretty sure it was the first time I ever used the bridge pup on any guitar in any recording I've done. LOL. But my focus on guitar has generally been rhythm guitar. Although that's not to say I've never played solos or lead parts.

6. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n TDPRI Member

StewMac do neck shims. Full pocket wood ones. I’ve used them in the past to do as you say and raise the bridge by altering the neck angle. They’re worth spending the money on as they maintain full pocket contact rather between the neck and body.

7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I will look into them.... I wonder if I'd like my Starcaster's neck the way it is better with it shimmed. The only thing is it's super flat. But sometimes that seems good and other times, not so much....

One thing about that neck though is it's flat the long way and the adjustment rod is tapped out. It won't move any more. It will turn to make it flatter but I can't give it barely any bow. The Squier's truss rod seems nice and in working order.

8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

OK, so I pulled the neck from my starcaster last night and at first looks it looks like the holes won't line up. I would've thought they would do this with a press, but they're definitely on an angle through the body of the starcaster and makes it look like they won't line up with the squire neck. Unless they do that on purpose and there is an angle to all neck screws...... But they sure aren't straight.

I didn't feel like pulling the squier neck until I get more thoughts on that. Cuz I will just live with that one. I would prefer that neck on the thicker body but it's not a necessity. I did bascially by that squier with the intent of making the starcaster better though, mainly for the neck. I mean it was 80 bucks, cheaper than buying a new neck....

So do you guys know if this is typical? The pic makes it look like the screws arent parallel with each other and the appear to be in real life. But they are definitely on an angle going into the body.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.