I think Im going to the dark side and getting an HX Stomp.. selling all but one of my pedals.. Oh Lord, forgive me for what I am about to do..

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
I've considered the Boss GT-1000 Core. If I had the money I'd probably do it. My small number of guitar pedals have been on synth duty lately anyway.

At the moment I'm trying an iPad version of the same concept. We'll see how it works out I guess.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I seriously run in circles in my head… Over the years I have really cut down on gear as I went from a giging musician with lots of vintage gear to a home only player and going with a minimalist volume friendly setup..

So effects.. I dont need much, but I like to try and trying gets expensive..

I have 2, 5 watt tube amps a few dirt pedals, looper and a newly acquired Wampler Metaverse Delay, but I also need reverb, would love to mess around with a compressor and tremolo.. Its getting expensive.. If I keep on buying brand name pedals, even used prices Ill be well over $600.. Then I need to make a board and buy a power supply..

You see where I am going with this right.. (my internal justification)

I can return the Wampler (that was demo deal impulse buy) and sell all my pedals except the looper and one dirt pedal I had for yearS and consolidated down.

I can also play guitar through headphones all times of the day and not disturb anyone.. Can even take my guitar and HXS on travel and practice anywhere..

ok there, I got that off my chest.. maybe some off you can relate to my craziness:)
good on yah. having fun doesn't have to include lottsa' aggro.

generic202

Tele-Meister
Go for it!

I also sold everything and have been using HX Stomp as the main driver for the last 3-4 years. I enjoy it everyday. Also, a recent update not only added new sounds to explore (they also did a complete overhaul of cab IRs) but now even uses less DSP which is a significant optimization. Helix came out in 2015. It's nice to know that they are still providing meaningful updates after 7 years.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
ok there, I got that off my chest.. maybe some off you can relate to my craziness:)

I totally can. Back in about 2010-11 I sold all my pedals and went with an Eleven Rack and JBL LSR 4328p monitors and practiced through that for a while, hoping it would provide all that goodness. While it did not sound bad, it didn't have the "feel" of the individual pedals and a tube amp. I eventually went back. Modelling has come a long way, so maybe its far more "real" now than it was back then.

There is nothing to forgive, its part of the journey - I hope it works out as good as you hope. It just didn't for me then.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
Go for it!

I also sold everything and have been using HX Stomp as the main driver for the last 3-4 years. I enjoy it everyday. Also, a recent update not only added new sounds to explore (they also did a complete overhaul of cab IRs) but now even uses less DSP which is a significant optimization. Helix came out in 2015. It's nice to know that they are still providing meaningful updates after 7 years.

So the fact that the HX Stomp and XL have been out for awhile makes me a bit hesitant to purchase right away.. I am waiting to see what Black Friday sales in the USA bring.. Im not a fan of paying full price, but Im also hesitant to purchase digital equipment used..

My conundrum continues with, spend $550 (hopefully the dales get them in that range) and risk the new version to come out in January 2023 with even more DSP and more whiz bang options.. I just dont want to be on the opposite end of the life cycle here.. I know when the new HX drops, the old stuff will not be irrelevant, I just dont want to drop big bucks now, then in a few months the prices drop even more..

Ah, the frustrations of deal hunting and weighing my options.. so so fun :)

generic202

Tele-Meister
So the fact that the HX Stomp and XL have been out for awhile makes me a bit hesitant to purchase right away..
Helix came out in 2015 and HX Stomp and Stomp XL came out in 2018 and 2021 respectively. Hmm, every three years... so 2024? Also, since they just released a major firmware update to the Helix lineup in November 2022, it doesn't make sense to me that a new HX product drop is in the immediate future. But I also don't mind if they drop Helix in a pod like in the old days and call it a HX Pod :)

Eddiebaby1

Tele-Meister
Welcome to my world.
2022-10-12_04-50-51.jpg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
No offense guys, but reading all this makes me want to spend a quiet hour with my steel-body resonator and my new brass slide. Or maybe my USA Guild jumbo ...

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I've heard of a lot of people doing this same thing. Going all-in on one or the other, then flip flopping within a relatively short period of time. There's nothing wrong with that of course. But that's why I think it's best to not immediately sell your old stuff, if you have the luxury not to have to anyway.
Yeah, I liked the Helix, it is a great piece of gear but the way things turned out is better (for me). The Laney sounds phenomenal on its own. In conjunction with the A2S and baby bomb, it is a badass home rig. The A2S is a Stomp competitor, so I have best of both worlds now.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
Helix came out in 2015 and HX Stomp and Stomp XL came out in 2018 and 2021 respectively. Hmm, every three years... so 2024? Also, since they just released a major firmware update to the Helix lineup in November 2022, it doesn't make sense to me that a new HX product drop is in the immediate future. But I also don't mind if they drop Helix in a pod like in the old days and call it a HX Pod :)
Well thats good to hear; I thought the Stomp was out for a lot longer

Eddiebaby1

Tele-Meister
Thats a sweet setup
Thanks. I swap the drive pedals a bit. I have a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret and an RAH that get in there on occasion. Occasionally a Echorec.
The compressor sits before the GT1000 and each of the other pedals sits in its own loop in the Boss.
Versatile as heck.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
I did it.. pulled the trigger on an HX Stomp.. can’t wait to be able to play through headphones anytime i want and not disturb anyone.. Also, can’t wait to build some patches (without amp sims) and play through my tune amps..

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I recently got a HX FX and it has pretty much replaced all of my pedals, still using a separate wah for now. Same effects as the Helix and HX Stomp, they sound really really good IMO.

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
I did it.. pulled the trigger on an HX Stomp.. can’t wait to be able to play through headphones anytime i want and not disturb anyone.. Also, can’t wait to build some patches (without amp sims) and play through my tune amps..
If you're playing thru headphones, be sure to update to the latest 3.5 firmware as they revamped the cab block to really remove the need for 3rd party IRs.
image.thumb.png.06f96a37a3d417f984eb5486f280ea92.png

Also, be sure to check out Johnathan Cordy's channel on YT. He's a beast of a player with great improved solos opening up each vid. He's a huge fan of the stomp. He show you all the ways to a great tone all in the box.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
You mention traveling as a consideration. An iPad will do anything these days and the apps such as Amplitube and Bias are really good. I bought a Yamaha THD10-II while in Japan and I love it. It has stereo effects, headphone out, cab sims and Bluetooth built in and serves as an interface to my iPad. I use it to practice with at home. I just love the thing.
just my 2cents.🪙🪙

giogolf

Tele-Holic
If you're playing thru headphones, be sure to update to the latest 3.5 firmware as they revamped the cab block to really remove the need for 3rd party IRs.
image.thumb.png.06f96a37a3d417f984eb5486f280ea92.png

Also, be sure to check out Johnathan Cordy's channel on YT. He's a beast of a player with great improved solos opening up each vid. He's a huge fan of the stomp. He show you all the ways to a great tone all in the box.

I’ve been watching a lot of his videos.. His attempts at reproducing other artists sounds with HX like Andy Timmons Halo delay really pushed me over the edge to buy the Stomp instead of continually buying pedals to chase different sounds that I can only play when no one is home..

giogolf

Tele-Holic
You mention traveling as a consideration. An iPad will do anything these days and the apps such as Amplitube and Bias are really good. I bought a Yamaha THD10-II while in Japan and I love it. It has stereo effects, headphone out, cab sims and Bluetooth built in and serves as an interface to my iPad. I use it to practice with at home. I just love the thing.
just my 2cents.🪙🪙
Do you need another device other than cable>guitar>ipad> apps?