I think Im going to the dark side and getting an HX Stomp.. selling all but one of my pedals.. Oh Lord, forgive me for what I am about to do..

giogolf

Tele-Holic
I seriously run in circles in my head… Over the years I have really cut down on gear as I went from a giging musician with lots of vintage gear to a home only player and going with a minimalist volume friendly setup..

So effects.. I dont need much, but I like to try and trying gets expensive..

I have 2, 5 watt tube amps a few dirt pedals, looper and a newly acquired Wampler Metaverse Delay, but I also need reverb, would love to mess around with a compressor and tremolo.. Its getting expensive.. If I keep on buying brand name pedals, even used prices Ill be well over $600.. Then I need to make a board and buy a power supply..

You see where I am going with this right.. (my internal justification)

I can return the Wampler (that was demo deal impulse buy) and sell all my pedals except the looper and one dirt pedal I had for yearS and consolidated down.

I can also play guitar through headphones all times of the day and not disturb anyone.. Can even take my guitar and HXS on travel and practice anywhere..

ok there, I got that off my chest.. maybe some off you can relate to my craziness:)

giogolf

Tele-Holic
I went with a Headrush Pedalboard system. I love it. It runs as a pedal board, or an amp-less rig. They’re just so good these days. If you can afford it, don’t dump the pedals right away, though!
Yeah, it does all sound really good now.. TBH arent most of the Strymon and the Wampler Metaverae pedal I just purchased digital anyway?

Unfortunately all the vintage pedals are long sold.. Had I held onto them now I could have made a pretty penny..

All pedals I own now can still be bought besides my one off OX blood OD clone

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I sold all of my pedals (50) on Reverb last month. Picked up a BOSS GT-1000.
I got tired of dealing with pedal boards, individual pedals, patch and power cables.
I don't miss the pedals at all 👍👍 Welcome to the dark side :cool:

20221025_142453878_iOS.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
For home playing only? By yourself? You’re not crazy. If that’s all I did I could easily see myself getting rid of all of the amps and pedals and going with an all in one solution with modeling and effects. Something like a Helix or Fractal or something like that would give me all the amps and effects I’d ever need. The only reason I use conventional amps and pedals now is that it’s simpler for live use. I understand it and don’t have to think about it.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
For home playing only? By yourself? You’re not crazy. If that’s all I did I could easily see myself getting rid of all of the amps and pedals and going with an all in one solution with modeling and effects. Something like a Helix or Fractal or something like that would give me all the amps and effects I’d ever need. The only reason I use conventional amps and pedals now is that it’s simpler for live use. I understand it and don’t have to think about it.

The amps aren’t going anywhere :)
I plan to make patches without out cab sims or amps and run just effect chains into the amps..

Then duplicate my favorite patches with cabs and amps etc.. for headphone jams and practice

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The amps aren’t going anywhere :)
I plan to make patches without out cab sims or amps and run just effect chains into the amps..

Then duplicate my favorite patches with cabs and amps etc.. for headphone jams and practice
That’ll be cool too. I know a lot of home players like their amp collections. I think for me personally, if I ever quit gigging I’d probably keep one amp, just in case I had to play live at some point.

I’ve never used amps at home. I did it a very little bit during that which cannot be named, but not often because I didn’t enjoy it much. Outside of that year I could probably count the number of times I’ve turned an amp on at home on my fingers. And have one or two left over. That’s going back the whole 35 and a half years. The noise is just not something I really enjoy outside of a stage environment. Headphones (or nothing at all), or an acoustic is great for me.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I did this exact thing a few years ago. Bought a Helix LT, a month later sold all of my pedals and most of my amps. Two years later, I sold my Helix and bought a Laney L5S and started a new pedal collection. I have also picked up a Hotone Ampero II modeler (A2S). I now use two amps in stereo, routed through the A2S. I use the A2S for delays, modulation and a preamp for one of my amps (Baby Bomb into a 2x12).

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
would love to mess around with a compressor and tremolo.. Its getting expensive.. If I keep on buying brand name pedals, even used prices Ill be well over $600..
However, if you buy Behringer pedals you can do all that at a tenth of that price tag.
I'd suggest the CL9 or CS400 for compressor and the UT300 for tremolo.
You'll be out like $75 for all three if you want both compressors.
The only thing Behringer won't provide is a cork to sniff. ;)

I can return the Wampler (that was demo deal impulse buy) and sell all my pedals except the looper and one dirt pedal I had for yearS and consolidated down.
Don't sell unless you need the cash!
Modellers usually take pedals in front really well.
But stop buying premium brands just because you want to mess around with some effect.
That's what Behringer is for! If you fall in love with the effect, then you can go boutique.
But oth, why would you if the effect you fell in love with is right there and cost like $27.

EDIT: Disclaimer - I am not a Behringer shill. I just smell like one.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
However, if you buy Behringer pedals you can do all that at a tenth of that price tag.
I'd suggest the CL9 or CS400 for compressor and the UT300 for tremolo.
You'll be out like $75 for all three if you want both compressors.
The only thing Behringer won't provide is a cork to sniff. ;)

Don't sell unless you need the cash!
Modellers usually take pedals in front really well.
But stop buying premium brands just because you want to mess around with some effect.
That's what Behringer is for! If you fall in love with the effect, then you can go boutique.
But oth, why would you if the effect you fell in love with is right there and cost like $27.

EDIT: Disclaimer - I am not a Behringer shill. I just smell like one.
I thought about this, my issue is when I cant play through my amp at any volume and need to play through headphones.. I would need to buy some sort of amp/cab emulator with DI to headphone out.

Then there is, what I consider the tweak-ability and experimentation of the HX Stomp. If I want to pitch shift, stack 2 delay pedals with different times and do other wonky stuff.. Unfortunately having just 4 or 5 pedals wont allow me to do that.

I am also no longer concerned about digital vs analog when it comes to pedals.. most of the highend pedals today have a DSP and are essentially digital one trick or multi trick ponies. An example would be the Timeline, isnt it just as digital delay processor with multiple options? Anyway, that was a tangent, I dont need studio quality, I just need good enough and the ability to experiment and play through headphones when I can crank my 5 watt tube amps :)

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I thought about this, my issue is when I cant play through my amp at any volume and need to play through headphones.. I would need to buy some sort of amp/cab emulator with DI to headphone out.
Gotcha covered! This is the Mooer Radar:
radar-speaker-cab-simulator-hd-143120.jpg

A bunch of cabs, simulated rather well IMO, all in a micro-pedal casing.
It has both a standard output and a headphone jack.
Pro-tip, though: Remove headphones from head before powering up this thing. There's quite an evil pop there!

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Don’t think of this as getting rid of your other pedals. Think of it as getting a new pedal. That’s what matters.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
Gotcha covered! This is the Mooer Radar:
radar-speaker-cab-simulator-hd-143120.jpg

A bunch of cabs, simulated rather well IMO, all in a micro-pedal casing.
It has both a standard output and a headphone jack.
Pro-tip, though: Remove headphones from head before powering up this thing. There's quite an evil pop there!

Thank you!

8bit

Tele-Meister
I did this exact thing a few years ago. Bought a Helix LT, a month later sold all of my pedals and most of my amps. Two years later, I sold my Helix and bought a Laney L5S and started a new pedal collection. I have also picked up a Hotone Ampero II modeler (A2S). I now use two amps in stereo, routed through the A2S. I use the A2S for delays, modulation and a preamp for one of my amps (Baby Bomb into a 2x12).
I've heard of a lot of people doing this same thing. Going all-in on one or the other, then flip flopping within a relatively short period of time. There's nothing wrong with that of course. But that's why I think it's best to not immediately sell your old stuff, if you have the luxury not to have to anyway.