1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I think I'm going to save up for a Collings

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by El Tele Lobo, Apr 7, 2021.

1. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I love Collings. Still have 2. I am saving up for an electric!

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Some shots of My Collings CW. I think it is a 94

B224D57A-FF7E-40AD-A3C7-2415694590B3.jpeg A54C9791-B741-4592-9B9E-F9571F5F5A0A.jpeg D58709ED-D38C-46EA-8702-C33BBC84C86B.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

In my experience, there's a point where you just have to go with what sounds, plays and feels good to you. As so many of us have, there's some completely wonderful guitars out there.

A lot of the stories about Collings come from Austin, but before that he was in Houston, studying the Martin. No small surprise that most of his early models were based on that iconic guitar making enterprise. And it would be similarly small surprise to discover that his guitars are built for the long haul, if you read what many others have said about him.

Interesting stuff, recommended reading, won't take too much of your time:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/bill-collings-remembered/

Same thing I'd say to anyone: if you find a flattop that speaks to you, don't wait too long. Particularly if the road ahead is shorter than the one behind. A fine, fine acoustic can be magical. Don't wait too long to have some of that. There's enough of the non-magical stuff to deal with as it is.

Stubee, bottlenecker and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I salute you!

5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I've tried really hard to like Collings and have owned four - two OMs, a 001A and a 000 12fret.
    This was a few years ago when their prices were quite a bit lower. All but the 001A were purchased used.
    I keep coming back to a brand that doesn't even come close to Collings in quality, but has the sound I like.
    My 2002 J-50 brings a smile to my face.

Mark

DrPepper likes this.
  6. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Clearly, Collings makes great guitars. The question is: will you like a Collings better than something else.

black_doug likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

The OM1 feels, plays and sounds better than anything I've ever picked up...including some old Martins and Gibsons.

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations. You have a guitar that works great for You. Can't be sure that it works equally well for Everybody.

DrPepper likes this.
  9. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Never any issues with my 00-18, but my D-28 had to have a neck reset a year after I bought it. (around 1986)

My son is having binding issues with his 000-18.

Not a good track record, Martin.

10. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

You and me both... I had a Collings 01, wish I had never sold it... Gassing for an OM1JL. I have one of Bill's cases for my 000-18, fits like a glove, looks unbelievable.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was in a position to buy a high end acoustic last summer, I ended up with a Collings D2HGSB. It's a stunner.
    Collings 2.jpg

DrPepper and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ve never played a Collings that sounded anything other than wonderful. They do make a great guitar. I came very close to buying one...

I was thinking of replacing my Martin HD-35 back in 2002. It’d been my main guitar for ten years but I decided I wanted something with more of a Gibson type tone for the stuff I was doing + I’d started with a Gibson twenty years earlier and was being pulled back. I’d played two AJRIs and was very impressed, but Collings had introduced the CJ and I was really smitten with one of those Elderly had in stock. I nearly bought it but asked if they could get an AJRI in stock. They said yep, if I ordered one. They also said that if it didn’t work for me I wouldn’t have to buy it as they’d sell it on their floor, so I ordered one.

It arrived in February, 2003 so I hurried down there to check it out. I took a player friend and when the shop first brought the AJRI out it sounded terrible! The tech guy said “we haven’t even set it up yet”
    and when he returned with it shortly thereafter wearing a set of EJ17s it sounded spectacular. My friend and I passed it back and forth as we compared it to the CJ, various Martins and other guitars for two hours and we both liked the AJRI the best so I bought it. It remains probably the best acoustic guitar, for me, of dozens of vintage and newer guitars I’ve owned the past 40 years. I got a really nice example of that model.

That said, the CJ was 2nd runner up back then and I still love ‘em. I’ll also venture that Collings guitars—and certain Martin models—ALWAYS sound very good to great, while Gibsons can vary more from one guitar to the next. I’d be pretty confident in buying a Collings sight unseen. They have their own thing going and don’t IMO sound like a Martin or Gibson, they sound like a Collings. I like that sound but am admittedly a Gibson acoustic guy.

I’m pretty tight fisted in some ways and would save up vs borrowing to buy a guitar, but that’s just me. I do think one should get the best guitar possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.