I think I'm giving up on strat...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by karpis, Jan 1, 2016.

1. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Ok so I took few tools and eliminated small sharp hump in saddle. Took only strings I had and those were rusty - Billy G should put more magic on those to protect from corrosion. But hell, if we can have relic guitars, than we can have relic strings. Now I'll play the **** of that axe and for its own sake I better like what I'm feeling! ImageUploadedByTDPRI1451767953.532579.jpg

2. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

The string breakage thing doesn't really sound like a problem to me. Maybe you're breaking more strings because you're playing you're new guitar more? Personally, if I don't wear out a set of strings every two weeks, I'm not practicing enough! If the guitar plays good and stays in tune, you can change pots and pickups....and strings!! That being said, I never bonded with Strats....if it was me...(personal opinion coming)...I'd play the strat and save up for a GOOD Tele (CS, Whitfill, Kirn, etc...or maybe something from the '60's). Then you'd have an essential guitar that will last a lifetime....you can thank me later....

3. disburden

disburden TDPRI Member

I love strats, mostly because they are the most customizable guitar out there. I've changed necks, pick ups, saddles, trems, pots, etc over and over again. I love to tinker with my guitars and the Stratocaster is the ultimate tinker guitar. If there's something about a strat you don't like, you can change it, easily.

4. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

I want to love Strats...I just don't. I've had 3 over the years, got rid of em all. The middle pickup is in the way, 5 way switch is too many switches. They just look so purdy.

5. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

I love strats....my first electrical was a strat style guitar.
    Had so many that I lost count years ago...
    Strats, super strats, vintage correct strats.....modified, cheap, bloody expensive and on and on....

Thought that I had the cat in the bag with my CS JB strat.....loved it, also was the strat I have kept the longest...

I have sold them all....
    Now I just play my Ibanez guitars and my CS Tele....

Think I will put one together myself one day.....
    My problem is that I get bored with them in the long run.

So I'll see what I can do later on.

6. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

^^^ this!

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

So youre basing this on one Strat? Stiff volume pot, string breakage and pickups (which you chose).

A Strat has sounds that can't be found with other guitars. Every player should have one even if its not your primary axe.

If you don't like the tone or you cant get the sound you want to hear thats another story.

8. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

9. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Huh, photos didn't upload

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1451848551.440723.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1451848634.015262.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1451848651.850565.jpg

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The problem with string breakages on a strat at the saddles is always a burr or sharp edge either on the saddle groove or the holes through the bridge.
    Polish them smooth with some very fine wet and dry.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've never had a problem with a pickup being in the way. I'm usually playing with my palm resting on the bridge and strumming between the middle and bridge pups, but can change to strumming anywhere between the bridge and neck without hitting a pickup even if they are set high.
    If your holding your pick towards the top, then I could see having this problem.The pick would be digging too far in and giving that pick flap sound that I've never cared for which is why I hold the pick leaving 1/4" to 3/8ths" tip left at the most.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my conclusion as well and probably the most important reason why I wanted to keep mine. The strat tones are awesome and unique and why the strat keeps on givin' 'n livin'.

This is a great thread. I'm dragging my strat out for some exercise this afternoon. :D

13. disburden

disburden TDPRI Member

Lol put in a three way switch.

14. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I played strats foor a long time. I have a strat tattooed on my back. I feel comfortable with them, as they were my safe territory for a long time. I bought a nice Telecaster about two years ago, and since then we're bonding more and more. While I still like the strat's tone, I can't use that tinny bridge pickup anymore. Now when I play my strat I feel limited. The Tele always leaves a mark on my right ribs, but I feel complete with her. I don't want a tremolo, I don't want three pickups. I just want my Tele. It does everything I want.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Good thread. I've been going through all of my guitars as I plan on reducing the number that I have. I have 2 Strats, 4 Telecasters and 1 Les Paul. After really listening to all of them I am coming back to the Strat more and more. I seriously thought before I began my listening I assume I would end up with two Teles and 1 Strat. After conducting my "audition" I am inclined to reverse that. I may keep a second Tele but it would be at the expense of a beautiful Les Paul.
    The Strats just do more and the tone is not just different but superior to my ears. I can get more warmth and more bell like clarity and chime when I want it. Plus, there's that "sprong"
    you get in the in the 2,3 and 4 positions.
    Perhaps my infatuation with the Tele is ending although I could never see myself without having one.
    One other little note. I was comparing a Wildwood 10 Relic 61 Strat vs a Wildwood 10 NOS 57 Strat. Cosmetically and comfort wise I prefer the NOS but the ugly Relic (finish checking way overdone) with rosewood has a rich tone that is quite impressive. I prefer rosewood boards anyway but the NOS with maple is a stunning guitar with a clarity unlike any guitar I've ever owned or played. I have to keep both even it means parting with a beloved Telecaster.

16. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Three humbuckers is the way to go.

17. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

^^^^^Oh, I like someone with a sense of humour. :D

I like strats because of the big pickguard. You can make new pickguards and hack away at the pickup cavities to get all sorts of pickup combinations. I recently sold one with a Lollar Chicago in the bridge position and a P90 in the neck. The buyer loves it for raw overdriven slide.

I'm thinking about a Coodercaster at the moment.

18. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I don't like the way a strat sounds but I like the feel of the neck, and I like that there 3 pickup and the 5 positions. .

19. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

I agree here, I made the tool the way I wanted it. I like the controls where they are and the body shape, The balance and ergonomics more than any other guitar.
    Then because the strat is the esiest guitar to mod, I put buckers in them. (My tele has buckers too) I don't see the problem. But to the OP play what ever makes you happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ambar_de_kotu

ambar_de_kotu Tele-Meister

It is so different from 1 person to the next. I want to love teles and I do play mine often it never sounds as good or feel as comfortable as my strat. I don't know why... Lucky for us there are strats teles les pauls SGs so everyone finds their type of guitar...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.