1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I think I want a Quilter

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bluescube, Sep 18, 2015.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice to see some of the newer SS issues like Quilter getting some respect. It is possible to make a great sounding SS amp with some very tube like qualities to it but the buyers have to be trained away from thinking tubes are the only way to go.

Based on much of what I read here that's a process that's gonna take a little to time to accomplish. I have to chuckle at those who balk at the prices and then try to compare them to what a simple tube amp would cost even though the features of that SS amp far outstrip anything the basic tube amp has to offer.

It's a very queer mindset but it is what it is so kudos to Quilter, Roland, Peavey and few others for sticking with it and continuing to develop and introduce new product.

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Soulman, I can't speak for anyone else, but my back makes all gear decisions at this point in my life.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have the same thought re design! Folks seem to thin tube amp should cost more. But I'd guess there's MUCH more research and innovation in a Roland JC or Quilter than in the latest boutique take on a 60 year old tube amp design based on even older radio design.

4. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

After spending a few weeks with my MP2 8", I can solidly recommend going with a MicroPro or or a 101. You WILL be happy that you have the extra voices... The FullQ voice on the MP is the same as the Aviator voicing. It is not my favorite voicing. Not bad, BUT I think I still prefer my DRRI to it.
    However the voicings on the MP *may* be encouraging enough for me to let my DRRI go.

Also the Single tone knob on the ToneBlock is super freaking good, but not perfect for every room. I find the 3 knob Tone Stack to cover it all though.

5. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Due to budget changes, no Quilter for me

6. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

You'll get it sorted. And hey, when the time is right, there will always be gear waiting for you. Keep up the good work.

7. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

This ^^^^^^

8. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

I look forward to checking out the Quilters at the upcoming L.A. Amp Show. There's a not-quite-there quality to some of the You Tube demos I've heard, but I'm wondering if adding a Wampler Black '65 would make all my dreams come true.

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

It all depends on how they rate the power: RMS, Peak, Total, etc.
    Here is some homework for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

10. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

The amps are 100 watts/channel. If you are playing with the internal speakers (regardless of how many), you get 100 watt/channel. If you plug another cabinet into the external speaker jack, you get another 100 watts.

11. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

(see above on the amp power)

Yes. I plug my iPhone into the other channel....or an acoustic.

12. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

This. And a quintuple hernia repair surgery two years ago.

13. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

UPDATE: Sold my DRRI earlier this week. Quilter MP2 had it covered and then some. Sorry to the Fender Tube purists.

14. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

I build, love, and play my own tube amps.... but for big outdoor things, I wanted a loud, lightweight rig. I got a ToneBlock (before the 101s came out) and a Mojo 1x12 lightweight cab that I put a Jensen Neo in. 18lbs loaded and it delivers. I have a ToneJob EQ and a reverb pedal and it sounds great for non-pedal steel and Tele. Every-gig backup, too. I'm happy that Quilter's shaking things up a bit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.